RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:32:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | August 2016 Community Playthrough - Legend of Zelda & Jaws (NES) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print
Author Topic: August 2016 Community Playthrough - Legend of Zelda & Jaws (NES)  (Read 38698 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2016, 10:48:55 AM »

I finished Dungeon 5 last night, including finding the flute, and beat the dragon in Dungeon 6 and found the heart container and Triforce piece, but I didn't locate the magic want thingy, so I'm going to have to go back and tackle that again.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2016, 02:02:13 PM »

I can't think of an example where the wand is needed, but it can be handy, especially with bubbles around.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2016, 04:38:24 PM »

I can't think of an example where the wand is needed, but it can be handy, especially with bubbles around.

If only it worked on Wizzrobes...

Nice work FRO!  You're really working your way through it. Smiley

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2016, 05:04:44 PM »

Or Darknuts...

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2016, 10:51:50 AM »

I think in every instance the bow and arrow is a better choice. I guess if you have the magic book, you can pin mummies back...

Anyway, I've completed the 2nd quest and I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever done so.

I remember trying to do this in my youth before the internet. Nintendo Power helped a little, but not enough. I think I bombed and torched every square inch of the game and I still got stuck half-way through.

I'd like to talk about something near and dear to me from my childhood - the manual to LoZ.

There wasn't a lot of to-go entertainment in the late 80's and the best way I could think of to escape boredom on long car rides to Grandma's house was to bring NES manuals with me in the car. LoZ easily took the cake. It was in full color, it was thick, it had story, and best of all, great art work. This art work enhanced the game for me as a kid. Link was not the same size as an Octorok, Darknut, or Wizzrobe, like he is depicted in the game. He is a small fry in massive labyrinths battling behemoths. This really got my young imagination going and truly made LoZ a better experience for me.

In the spoilers are some pages of art from the manual...

Spoiler (hover to show)
Spoiler (hover to show)
Spoiler (hover to show)
Spoiler (hover to show)
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2016, 11:12:58 AM »

@JerryGreenwood: Congrats!

I highly recommend everyone checks out the site Legends of Localization:

http://legendsoflocalizat....com/the-legend-of-zelda/

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2016, 03:13:45 PM »

Thanks addicted. I checked out that website and I saw something that reminded me of a question I wanted to ask...

What's with the 1992 from the 'Copyright 1986 1992 Nintendo' on your final screen shot?
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2016, 03:50:49 PM »

That's a great question. I was playing the re release version. A couple of the FDS titles were ported over to Famicom carts. If you have a chance try the Japanese version. It's the one of the only times where yelling at the game will help you.

You can see a scan of the game with the copyright 1992 here:

http://www.rfgeneration.c...027-S-03740-A&type=gs

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2016, 07:16:29 AM »

Its crazy all the little changes done between the regions. Why not leave the music and graphics the same?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2016, 07:58:38 AM »

Final checkpoint, while obvious, is up. Wink

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2016, 09:42:43 PM »

Or Darknuts...

No joke!

Obtained achievements 5, 7, & 9.  I'm just starting the 2nd quest, though with my wife home from her trip, I doubt I'll get a ton of game time in before the end of the month, so going after the 2nd quest may just be a leisure activity for me at this point Grin

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #146 on: August 24, 2016, 11:26:11 AM »

I'm currently in the 5th dungeon. I wasted my bombs looking for secret passages then came to a room with Dodongos, which I now can't kill to open up the next passage. The idea of leaving the dungeon and finding a shop to sell me more bombs (or going back to a previous dungeon to find a key I must have previously missed) is very unappealing, so I haven't played it in over a week.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2016, 02:51:46 PM »

Usually when you need bombs in a dungeon, the room itself or rooms close by will drop a bomb when you kill all the enemies. That is a good tip that you have something to look for.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2016, 03:34:27 PM »

Also, if you obtain the map in each dungeon, you can better eliminate which walls are probably not bombable. According to the instruction booklet (which everyone should take a moment to look over because it's fascinating), each dungeon takes on a certain shape.  Never had to leave a dungeon to get bombs and never had to buy bombs or a key in this game.  

Also, in the first quest, you never have to go back to another dungeon to find a key. All dungeon keys are self-contained in the first quest.  The key is to take your time and explore the dungeons fully.  This is not a game that is meant to be played through quickly for first timers (unless you use a walkthrough).  Games were meant to last back in our day.

GET OFF MY DAMN GRASS DUKE.TOGO!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:36:50 PM by singlebanana » Logged

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2016, 08:31:50 PM »

GET OFF MY DAMN GRASS DUKE.TOGO!

Whippersnappers...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length