RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:08:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | She Hate Horror? Podcast Discussion Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: She Hate Horror? Podcast Discussion Thread  (Read 39583 times)
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »

Foam cooler.

[img width=300 height=300]http://www.webstaurantstore.com/images/products/main/11256/28008/small-foam-cooler-with-handle-11-3-4-x-8-3-4.jpg[/img]

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 09:04:26 AM »

A new episode comes out tomorrow. Be sure to give it a listen!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 09:46:26 PM »

A new episode comes out tomorrow. Be sure to give it a listen!

Great second episode. You guys were right on the money with the Blair Witch on two major points: it was very polarizing, and you had to be there. I loved the movie when I saw it in the theatre, and it did scare the crap out of me. The movie seems pretty quaint now that the found footage thing has been beaten to death, but at the time it was intriguing beyond belief, especially for a high-schooler. I had this poster hanging in my room for quite a while:

[img width=500 height=728]https://www.filmonpaper.com/site/media/2011/03/TheBlairWitch_onesheet_missing-1-500x728.jpg[/img]

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 03:28:25 AM »

Great stuff, you two. I remember when I saw it with a couple buddies. One of my friends thought going into it that it was real. Me and our other friend didn't tell him it wasn't real. I have a hard time watching it again. Although, I really only like a handful of found footage horror movies. This is one of them though.

Thanks for the great conversation.

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 07:12:50 AM »

I found Blair witch so repetitive and dull.

Get lost in woods in the day.
Noises outside the tent at night.

Snore
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 07:48:30 AM »

See? Polarizing lol.

Like Banana said on the show, your enjoyment of this film hinges almost 100% on your buy-in or lack thereof.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 07:55:16 AM »

Snore

Did you see it around the time it came out?  As we mention in our podcast, it was the hype and the mystery built around it at the time (is this real?) that made it work (as GrayGhost81 and Fokakis79 point out).  Outside of that time, I can see how it could come off as a bit silly.  You don't ever see a monster and there isn't any real violence in the film.

Thank you all so much for listening and if you know any friends who might be interested, please pass it on.  As always, we appreciate the comments and feedback.  

Last night we finished up recording Episode #2, and now I have a lot of editing ahead of me. Hopefully, I can have something new out next week with the added holiday. Wink

I'm curious, but out of our list of films that we selected, which one or ones are you looking forward to hearing about?  

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 09:34:30 AM »

Good second episode. I really enjoyed all the hype around Blair Witch more than the movie itself. I had a particularly boring summer job the year it was coming out and I spent many an afternoon reading about the movie before it came out. That gave me hours of enjoyment, while I thought the actual movie was just okay.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 09:50:58 AM »

Thanks Pam!  Yeah, the wife and I were definitely luke warm with our rating, which was in the middle. Again, so polarizing we couldn't say it was great or bad. 

With each episode we are striving to discuss the films, but really focus on something meaningful to us. With TBWP, it was our memories of the Internet era in which it was made and the hype surrounding the film.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 09:58:38 AM »

I know that some people aren't into horror films and may shy away from listening to this podcast as a result.  However, my wife really isn't a huge fan of them either and I think her reluctance and sort of growing appreciation of them as valid "cinema," is entertaining enough to where non-horror fans can appreciate it as well. We are kind of going for a broader audience, since neither of us have a great background or knowledge of horror films.  We just like to watch movies like most people and I think it allows for a more inviting and less intimidating experience.  I hope that comes across.

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 12:46:52 PM »

Snore

Did you see it around the time it came out?  As we mention in our podcast, it was the hype and the mystery built around it at the time (is this real?) that made it work (as GrayGhost81 and Fokakis79 point out).  Outside of that time, I can see how it could come off as a bit silly.  You don't ever see a monster and there isn't any real violence in the film.

Thank you all so much for listening and if you know any friends who might be interested, please pass it on.  As always, we appreciate the comments and feedback. 

Last night we finished up recording Episode #2, and now I have a lot of editing ahead of me. Hopefully, I can have something new out next week with the added holiday. Wink

I'm curious, but out of our list of films that we selected, which one or ones are you looking forward to hearing about?   

I wasn't old enough to watch it when it came out (born in '90). I'm sure it really would have been a more different experience seeing it at the cinema at the time. Nowadays there are so many found footage films too. I, like many others, have grown bored of the "genre". Talking of which, worse found footage I've seen has to be diary of the dead (in the George Romero living dead series). But it's hilariously bad. Best found footage has to be troll hunter in my opinion.

Regarding the films I'm most interested in hearing you talk about: probably the ones I haven't seen and don't know much about. I can see myself checking them out if you give a good review.

However it's also good to hear discussions of films I have seen cus I can compare against my own views. :-)
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 02:25:20 PM »

You got a lot of great picks. I am looking forward most to Suspiria, Friday the 13th, and Halloween II. I love slasher films, its my favorite genre other than Giallo. Interested in your take on what you think is the reason they are scary. Might have to watch those again to refresh my memory, so I can talk about them here. I am wishing you would have picked, "Don't torture a duckling". I haven't seen it and it would have given me a reason to watch it. Its tough to pick just 31.

I am real glad ya'll are doing this, because I watch horror movies all the time and have only one friend who will watch them. So, it feels good to talk to others about the films. Plus, I love talking movies.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 04:00:22 PM »

My wife and I are big fans of the Giallo genre.  The detective, thriller element present in them works well for both of our tastes.  I mention it in the first podcast, but if you have not seen "Tenebre" yet, do so. Smiley

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2016, 06:19:20 PM »

Yeah, I am big on the detective stuff myself. Plus the gore and great music from Goblin make Dario Argento really great.

I have not seen Tenebre and will check it out soon.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2016, 06:27:45 PM »

A few years ago, I drove a few hours away and saw Goblin play on their first ever U.S. tour. Such a nice and gracious group of guys. They had no idea how popular they were over here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length