RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:39:19 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | She Hate Horror? Podcast Discussion Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: She Hate Horror? Podcast Discussion Thread  (Read 39584 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2016, 03:00:21 PM »

I agree Pam. I think that what really sets off the opening scene other than it establishes the "killer," is that it does not fit with the rest of the film.  This was a little off putting to me on the second viewing because I kept thinking, "This really doesn't need to be here since it is explained in detail later on. Why not save this element of discovery to make the film more poignant?"  However, when we discussed it on our podcast, I had that same feeling of "you don't know when this chronically takes place."  While it appears at the beginning of the film, we never know for sure when this happened. The directors could have tacked in on the end as well if they would have wanted to in order to let us know that "it" was still out there.  What throws me off most chronologically are the presences of the cell phone in the beginning and the electronic reader (the compact) that Jay's friend Yara is always reading from.  The phone seems to denote a more modern day setting in the beginning, but other than the presence of the compact, one would probably think that the film is set in the 80's.  I think that the directors obviously know this and are messing with us a little. Like not knowing that the film is set in Detroit until nearly the very end, I believe the time is also skewed to place us in anywhere/any time U.S.A.

Awesome comments and thanks so much for the listen!  I love to geek out and talk about this stuff. I read these comments to Wife, but perhaps I should get her to set up an account on here so that she can follow and comment.  Her video game collection stinks though...  Tongue

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2016, 06:05:05 PM »

Just "Wife," eh? You could at least call her Mrs. Banana.

I haven't seen the It Follows movie, but in listening to your discussion I just kept thinking, why didn't she just go to the bar that night and pass it on to somebody else?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2016, 06:16:07 PM »

Of course, that's kind of the premise and something to that effect does happen Duke. However, you have to understand that if you don't tell the person what you've passed onto them, they will die pretty quickly. It will then attack the next in line again. Not knowing what It is and the fact that it can change forms makes it tough to escape.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2016, 08:12:39 PM »

Our new episode is out!  Here are the details:

In our third episode, we discuss the 1986 holiday horror classic, April Fools Day. Released at the end of the "slasher" era, this film is full of the seminal tropes viewers of this genre are use to. However, in one great twist (which we avoid spoiling), it manages to upend these stereotypes and create something meaningful and fresh. Produced by Paramount (who did the Friday the 13th series), this polarizing film will leave you with lots to think about. The second review on this podcast is of 1974's Black Christmas. Dubbed a "thiller" by it's director, many consider this little known film a "proto-slasher" due to the amount of commonalities that it shares with films from the slasher era that began a few years later. How do we rate these films and how does Wife hold up to the one-two punch of two films from her least favorite genre?

Thanks for the listen. We would love to hear some feedback!

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2016, 01:44:13 AM »

Im sick and stuck working a graveyard at work. Gonna get paid some OT however, while relaxing and listening to the pod. Again, two movies I have never actually watched. Listening right now. I like Carol Kane. I thought she was hot in Annie Hall.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2016, 02:03:11 AM »

Fun Fact: April Fools Day was filmed in my Province, on Vancouver Island

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2016, 05:51:48 AM »

Fun Fact: April Fools Day was filmed in my Province, on Vancouver Island

Very cool!  Ironically (in the fact that these were two random picks), both of these movies were filmed in Canada.Both are great, but I'd say that Black Christmas is one that shouldn't be missed. You can tell that it had a profound effect on Halloween and other later films.

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2016, 07:55:53 AM »

Not seen either of these. After listening to your podcast I'll have to give both a watch
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2016, 03:34:27 PM »

Not seen either of these. After listening to your podcast I'll have to give both a watch

Depending on your mood and/or how big a horror film fan you are, the first may be a bit polarizing.  Black Christmas is a must watch though.

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2016, 04:44:19 PM »

Depending on your mood and/or how big a horror film fan you are, the first may be a bit polarizing.  Black Christmas is a must watch though.

I'll save it for Christmas :-)
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2016, 09:43:32 AM »

I kinda wish you'd give some spoilers. After listening to the first part on April Fools I immediately went to wikipedia to read the plot summary. It reminds me of a mini-series I watched a few years ago called Harper's Island. It was also filmed on an island just off Vancouver and has the same premise of people continually disappearing or dying and now knowing who the killer is. It was a fun watch, though kinda silly.

Spoiler (hover to show)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2016, 10:01:01 AM »

Ha! Ha!  Yeah, the Wife and I watched that Harper's Island series too!  It was a bit cheesy, but we kept coming back to it night after night.  Did you ever happen to watch the reality series Whodunnit? a few years ago?  It was fantastic, murder mystery reality show kind of like Clue and it really saddened us when it wasn't renewed.

Yeah, there's kind of a fine line in terms of spoiling the ending of films when doing a podcast.  I think that for April Fools Day, the twist is so important to the film that it's one where you really don't want to spoil it for people who have not seen it. With neither of us having seen it prior to this viewing, I thought it was more impactful and therefore, a greater experience for us as a couple.  On one hand, I almost feel that our podcast is incomplete without fully discussing these films, but in the same instance, I really want people to see these films and not just hear us ruin the endings for them.  Whatta ya do? *shrug*

We just finished up recording Friday the 13th, Part III last night and we actually went against the grain in spoiling the film. However, most people know that with slashers, especially from the early 80s, there is always a high body count and a final girl.  Since it's pretty obvious in this case, we didn't bother holding back.

Thanks for listening Pam!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:02:47 AM by singlebanana » Logged

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2016, 07:05:34 PM »

Is Part III the Corey Feldman one? or is that IV?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2016, 09:39:09 PM »

Part IV is Corey Feldman and the famous Crispin Glover dance.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2016, 09:59:22 AM »

Episode #4 drops this week.  We discuss the horrors of dying with an unwhiped a#% and why Kevin Dillon could play bass for Ratt.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length