RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:19:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | It's Time For A Battery Life Question 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: It's Time For A Battery Life Question  (Read 2535 times)
Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« on: August 31, 2016, 12:27:15 AM »

Three years ago, I purchased a copy of Pokemon Gold Version with a dead save battery and was able to get it replaced one month later.  I stated the game but then got sidetracked with other games and with real life as well.  So in May of 2015 I put the cartridge back into my Game Boy Pocket and resumed playing.

Earlier this month, I went out with some friends and it was a long car ride so I took Tetris Attack out of my Game Boy Pocket and put Pokemon Gold Version back into the system.  It asked me to reset the time.  Usually I've heard this means that the save battery is either dead on the verge of dying.

The game has been in my system ever since (mostly because I've been hoping a friend of mine can check if her batteries still work and if not, will she be able to and want to replace them so I can do some Pokedex completion trades as well as do some Trade Based Training (you trade a Pokemon to your friend and they train it via the boosted experience traded Pokemon get then trade it back to you)) so just now I decided to check and see if the save file was still intact.  It was.

I'm worried that if I take the game out to play other games the save will die.  A few years ago I was told by a man at a retro game store that a typical save battery has a life span of ten to fifteen years.  However, because Gold/Silver/Crystal use an in-game clock, I don't think the typical life span qualifies (then again, I'm no expert.  I just play the games.  My knowledge is quite limited).

So my question is basically this: What is the average lifespan of a a Gold/Silver/Crystal game cartridge's save battery, and should I be concerned about losing my save upon removing the cartridge if the game is asking me to reset the clock a mere three years after putting in a new battery?  (I'm only at Goldenrod City at the moment, so losing my save would be both no-big-deal and very annoying).
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 04:37:59 PM »

Did you replace it with an ebay/cheapo battery?  The Nintendo batteries should last longer, but I can definitely see G/S/C's battery dying more quickly because of how much more it gets used compared to other GBC games, especially if you replaced it with a cheap battery.  If you're worried about the save dying, buy a Monster Brain. https://www.amazon.com/Mo...monster+brain+pokemon+gbc

You can back up a few saves to it and then reload them back onto your catridge in case your battery dies.
Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 04:35:40 PM »

Ah excellent.  As for the battery, I dunno what brand.  R.U. Game provides the batteries they use to put the new ones in.  It comes with the price for the service itself.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 04:44:20 PM »

R.U. Game. You must be from Gainesville. Say hi to Wempster for me.

They likely use standard CR2025 Duracell replacements you can find at most battery shops like Batteries Plus. The actual carts came with Maxell CR2025 batteries, if it matters. The Maxell CR2025 batteries cost $2 for a 2-pack.

Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 04:57:20 PM »

Tampa actually, but I live in Davie.  If I'm ever in Gainesville though, I'll make sure to say hi if I see him or her.

Two bucks for a two-pack?  I like that deal.  I'm supposed to be heading up to Tampa for Thanksgiving so if I need to any replacements, I'll make sure to stock up on the Maxells so I can get a better battery life.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 05:03:46 PM »

Oh, you're in Davie? My grandmother lived there for 20+ years working as an on-call home nurse before moving further north to Sebastian. I didn't realize R.U. Game was in South Florida as well.

Yeah, you can pick up the CR2025 from just about any battery store. You just have to be decide how you want to deal with the battery clip, I believe. Instructables has a good walkthrough, or any number of forum members can do it for you too.

Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 05:14:49 PM »

That depends on whether or not Tampa is a part of South Florida or Central Florida lol.  I only know of three locations: Gainesville, Tampa and the Brandon Mall.

Is the walkthrough about how to install it myself?  Because I have no clue how to use the soldering iron people recommend.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 05:17:04 PM »

Yes, but you can use tape instead of solder which is explains in the walkthrough as well. Electrical tape should work fine, I think.
http://www.instructables....rtridge-Battery/?ALLSTEPS

Incidentally, you can order a battery already put together and avoid most of these steps.
https://www.amazon.com/CR...fRID=0TJZRVETW904C1W8KQ0C
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 05:20:58 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 05:25:09 PM »

Awesome Cheesy Thanks.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 09:22:18 PM »

I order my batteries from Console5. Fast shipping, and good price: https://console5.com/stor...r-tabs-pins-game-boy.html

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length