RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:30:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Alas, it is a sad day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Alas, it is a sad day  (Read 4464 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« on: September 03, 2016, 09:48:14 AM »

I have an old PC which I haven't booted up in 10+ years.  I figured, I haven't used it in 10 years, I might as well get rid of it but I know that there is some stuff I want to get off of it.  The PC only had a few things on it. Sad  It must have crashed 10+ years ago and I rebuilt the machine and forgot about it.  Chrome, Firefox, Antivirus, Yahoo messenger, AIM, and MUBuilder(don't even remember what I had this for) was all that was on it.  All the stuff I wanted was gone.... my Playstation saves.  You see, I have a Dex Drive and every time I ran out of room on the memory card I would back it up to the computer through the Dex Drive and save over what was on the memory card.  It's gone, all gone.  All 50+ different game saves I had.  toilet Cry  A very sad day. 

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
RobotWillie
Don't You Know Blackmail is Way Uncool
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 01:10:33 AM »

I give your 50 saves a 50 gun salute.

My dad had a Windows ME laptop, his first, sitting around for like 9 years and he finally booted it up again to get the family pictures off of it, but he had to be really careful because the reason he stopped using it is because the power supply started smoking. And alas when he plugged it back in it started smoking again. But it worked well enough to recover everything and no fires started. His last laptop died when it couldn't handle the free upgrade to Windows 10 and it wouldn't even boot up. So he bought a device that reads his old drive this time to use on his new laptop.

As for me I had a Windows 98 computer I got rid of about 6 years ago, which I still had Sim City 2000 cities on it that I play with on DOS BOX on newer computers. And this Windows 10 PC I got in January is working out well. I still have the Windows 7 one hooked up in the basement. A few weeks ago I wiped my Windows 7 laptop, of course got everything off it first. So I don't have the portable computer anymore since I replaced both the older computer and laptop with this new PC. But hey, the smart phone I and many people have these days is just as good as a laptop isn't something you need for a job that requires one.

And I have been bad about organizing  my backed up saves. And I need to do an update on it too, its been a while and I have beaten and progressed in some games since I did it last. But when I say unorganized I mean they are on USB cards I have laying around. I guess I should put them on my new computer and upload them somewhere, or put another copy on my external hard drives. Because, its not really not having the means to back these saves up, its gettinbg the motivation to do so. I guess seeing what happened to you might help motivate me to organize them better and do a new update.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 08:45:29 AM »

Anyone know if there is a serial port to usb adapter?  I would like to get this to work on a modern system.  Crap, I believe there is software to install, too.  I don't know where it is....And I believe it is on a floppy.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 11:31:14 PM by shaggy » Logged

SMS set complete!
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 01:16:28 PM »

http://www.usconverters.c...?main_page=page&id=62

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 03:24:11 PM »

I will be picking one of these up!

SMS set complete!
bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 10:13:04 AM »

I think I found the software... Will PM a link.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 12:29:44 PM »

I think I found the software... Will PM a link.

Thanks a lot!  That looks like it will do the trick.

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 10:23:22 PM »

Thanks Shadow for the link and Bickman for finding replacement software.  Both pieces worked.  And I found both my save files on a flash drive!  I must have put them on there before my computer dumped!  I could only get one of the files to read, though. Sad  I'm going to try to find the Dexplorer software and see if that will work.  Thanks again!

SMS set complete!
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »

This reminds me of when I was playing Suikoden V when it came out and it froze during saving, so I ended up losing an entire memory card of saves.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 04:50:01 PM »

This reminds me of when I was playing Suikoden V when it came out and it froze during saving, so I ended up losing an entire memory card of saves.

Same thing happened to me, but with Final Fantasy XII.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length