RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:31:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Barcode field containing non barcode numbers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Barcode field containing non barcode numbers  (Read 2318 times)
matt
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« on: September 12, 2016, 08:54:18 AM »

For some releases, people are entering non-barcode numbers in the barcode field.

Eg.
Wii Fit
045496901073 (00100)
http://www.rfgeneration.c...132-S-01910-B&type=bb

The barcode is 045496901073 (standard 12 digit UPC that can be validated through an algorithm)

Try validating it here yourself:
http://www.hipaaspace.com..._Code/UPC_Validation.aspx

The (00100) text is secondary piece of data stored as a second barcode that happens to be positioned next to the main UPC.

See this thread: http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=16335.0

Because barcode  search is looking for an exact match searching the site for the UPC returned by my barcode scanner I'm not finding the games that have this extra data stored in the barcode field.

Maybe barcode search needs to be less strict? Matching a string (with all whitespace removed) on "contains" rather than "equals".

Maybe there needs to be another place for the Nintendo data to go?

Any thoughts?
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 01:09:27 PM »

Yeah, I'm aware it's not standard EAN. Unfortunately, at the time, I thought our barcode search was doing LIKE rather than =, so it would do a fuzzy search, but guess not.
It likely needs to go away and be specified in another method. There is information contained within the metadata (such as the 3rd digit indicating manufacture location, and the 5th digit for revision), though I've not seen it used for any other reason by Nintendo yet.

matt
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 01:47:27 PM »

Thanks. Happy you're aware of the issue
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 05:57:59 AM »

can it just be made to do a partial search like the game names?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length