RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:26:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Batch import/addition of games? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Batch import/addition of games?  (Read 2140 times)
matt
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« on: September 13, 2016, 08:30:26 AM »

I think there are a few ways that the database can be increased quickly with minimal effort.

There are lots of very complete lists of games available online. I'm happy to convert/process them and create formatted data that can easily be imported into the database by a mod.

Most retro platforms are no longer getting new releases, so this should be an easy way to fill out certain platforms on RFG.

Examples:

GameCube
https://en.wikipedia.org/...f_Nintendo_GameCube_games

DSiWare
https://en.wikipedia.org/...ons#List_of_DSiWare_games

PS1, PS2, PSP
http://psxdatacenter.com

Any thoughts?
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 12:23:14 PM »

These lists tend to be very patchy, especially for non US releases. They also aren't going to provide the level of variation/detail we use on this site eg. which individual countries they belong to, part numbers etc
matt
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 04:26:03 PM »

Well I'm finding that some parts of RFG are patchy too Wink though I try to submit additions where I can.

Rather than ignore lists like the ones I mentioned, I think they could be used to fill gaps in RFG and provide more games, albeit that still need additional information.

This sort of database is never going to be complete, it's just a gradual move forwards over time.

That said, the psxdatacenter list is very comprehensive. I've quoted it for several PS1/2 games I've added to RFG.

Just a thought...
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 06:07:07 PM »

Let me be very clear: We do not add anything we don't own without proof.
Want to know why PSX Datacenter, and MobyGames, track Countries for European releases? You're looking at it. We were the first major site to track European releases by country.

PSX Datacenter has SOME mistakes, but they have cleaned up a large majority of their site now with the focus on European releases the past 2 years. They ALSO add based on verification. I have had plans to contact the owner to share some information, and trust their entries.

Wikipedia is quite often wrong, and bases their information on unverified sources as does GameFAQs. While it would be a "cheap" way to fill the database, it would be poor quality entries. I'd rather use it as a list to validate, than blindly enter/import.

EDIT: As for the patchy sections, our database is almost 11 years old and some areas haven't received some love since they were added, and aren't up to current standards. Please feel free to point them out so we can prioritize it, or feel free to fix it yourself! We're always looking for database help, and new staff members...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 06:14:54 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

matt
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 07:01:39 PM »

Good points. I think contacting and sharing is a great idea if you can trust their data.

When starting to list my collection I looked around at all sites I could find and RFG was out in front. This is a great site.

I just had some ideas as 35% of my collection was not found in the DB. And these are not new games, although they are mainly European and Japanese releases.

Having chatted with other RFG members who have entered their collection, I've heard the same sort of hit rate from them.

I'd be interested to know more about DB review and editing.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 10:45:22 PM »

The review process, as you've seen, has some limitations. Mainly, if you can't change it in a review, we can't update your review and are forced to reject it. Mind you, this does not mean we do not take action on it, as we can make the edits outside of a review and grant you credit for the change.

There are some things we cannot change after submission is approved, however. This is mainly the region (denoted by the first letter in the ID) and the console (denoted by the 3 character string after this). Any changes to these require a new entry, and deleting or merging the old entry.

If you're interested in joining the database staff, just stay active with submissions, start tackling a range of submissions, and keep in contact with either approvers or the forum in general. If we find your submissions are competent, and you're interested in joining, there are always open positions.

EDIT: Having a database project that you're knowledgeable and have passion about is always a plus too, such as updating and adding to the European database.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 10:50:45 PM »

Good points. I think contacting and sharing is a great idea if you can trust their data.

When starting to list my collection I looked around at all sites I could find and RFG was out in front. This is a great site.

I just had some ideas as 35% of my collection was not found in the DB. And these are not new games, although they are mainly European and Japanese releases.

Having chatted with other RFG members who have entered their collection, I've heard the same sort of hit rate from them.

I'd be interested to know more about DB review and editing.

unfortunately because Europe has so many crazy variants, it's more likely to have holes in the database. there's also the fact that a lot more members are in North America than Europe (at least judging from the forums), so holes in the North American parts of the database get filled a lot faster. I would say only 5 - 15% of my collection was missing from the database, and that's probably a high estimate, but i'm from Canada so that would be why.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length