RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:12:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Let's Play "What's wrong with Invader's Genesis?" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Let's Play "What's wrong with Invader's Genesis?"  (Read 2809 times)
InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« on: September 13, 2016, 11:03:49 PM »

Hey friends - my Genesis setup is doing something weird and I have no idea what the problem is. I'm hoping the super smart folks here can help me out. First, a few possibly important details:

- It is a model 2 Genesis, with a model 2 Sega CD and a 32X attached.
- Video is connected via RF directly to the TV. A few consoles are daisy chained behind it, though that probably isn't relevant.
- Power is connected to a power strip using a Sega Trio adapter.

As for what's happening, it typically starts out fine, and then after a few minutes the audio and video starts flipping out, like this:

It does this off and on for a few minutes, and then eventually it crashes like so:

It does this with any Genesis, Sega CD, or 32X game. It also consistently does it no matter what's connected to the Genesis - removing the Sega CD and/or 32X doesn't make a difference.

So...what might be to blame here? Power? AV? Is the Genesis just borked?

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 03:53:49 AM »

Could be bad capacitors, the cause of most issues with old electronics.
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 09:17:01 AM »

Try the Genesis 2 by itself to narrow down the issue.  Does the same thing happen with AV/Composite out?

The system is easy to take apart. If you take it apart please take pictures. The solder points for the power plug on the Model 2 Genesis systems are notorious for coming loose.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 10:00:29 AM »

Initial thought is power.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 03:55:30 PM »

Follow the power chain, and check each step. If it happens consistently like this, I'd guess that it is an issue when it heats up (so bad solder joint or part failure). First check power input jack, next check voltage regulator, then inspect capacitors.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 05:30:32 PM »

A good rule of thumb with electronics is just to always test power first.

If its a bad solder joint it might look perfect, it probably won't, but there's a chance you won't see anything out of the ordinary. Put some liquid flux on it and reflow it anyway, it doesn't hurt it.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 09:16:50 PM »

So, an update - I think it's the Trio. After some additional testing I've found that at least the Genesis works fine on a first-party AC adapter. Now I need to dig out a Gen 1/Sega CD adapter to test the whole Voltron setup, but that'll hopefully take care of it.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 01:54:42 PM »

@InvadErGII: Glad to hear that things are starting to work!

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
yZoneFox
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 06:55:25 PM »

So, an update - I think it's the Trio...

Are those 3-in-1 power adapters known to have issues?
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 10:17:41 PM »

I don't trust them.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
CrossBow
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 02:34:52 PM »

Haven't used the Trio myself, but I do have and use a modified GC power supply for my model1 genesis, model1 CD, and 32x combo. Never had an issue with it and I've it for nearly a year now with quite a bit of play on the Genesis during that time.

If the Trio is the cause, then at least that is an easy enough fix. But my other suggestion before that was something the RF modulator itself being the possible cause.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length