RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:33:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | November 2016 Community Playthrough - Heavy Rain (GAME #100) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: November 2016 Community Playthrough - Heavy Rain (GAME #100)  (Read 14225 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: October 05, 2016, 01:33:37 PM »

Yes, that's right!  This is November marks our 100th game playthrough.  This is of course counts the very first playthough of The Last Story in December of 2012, the multiple games we played several months, and up to November's pick!  It's really hard to believe that we've made it this far and we want to thank all of you in our community who have participated and made the playthroughs a huge, communal success.  The game announcement is this Friday the 7th and we hope that we can max out participation for this grand feat.  Stay tuned!

PARTICIPANTS:
Crabmaster2000
douglie007
Fleach
GrayGhost81
MetalFRO
Pam
singlebanana

CHECKPOINTS:
*Please note that Chapters are not officially numbered, so a brief description of each final chapter will be provided*
Checkpoint #1 (November 1st - 7th) - Chapters 1 -13 *investigate the locker at the train station
Checkpoint #2 (November 8th - 14th) - Chapters 14 - 26 *interrogate the shrink
Checkpoint #3 (November 15th - 21st) - Chapters 27 - 39 *listen to the gravedigger's story
Checkpoint #4 (November 22nd - 30th) - Chapters 40 - 52 (or 53 if you have DLC) - finish the game
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:55:55 PM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 06:13:41 PM »

It's on, I will dust off my copy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 06:16:01 PM »

It's on, I will dust off my copy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Cool!

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 10:26:52 AM »

I think I've been convinced to play along this month.
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 05:49:09 PM »

This is the only game I know where you can fail to lean against a wall.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 07:46:23 PM »

I think I've been convinced to play along this month.

Right on!

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 08:13:47 PM »

I just played through the game. Not impressed.

Spoiler (hover to show)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:19:21 PM by GrayGhost81 » Logged

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 09:20:07 PM »

I just played through the game. Not impressed.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Classic, but contains major spoilers.  nono

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 10:16:21 PM »

Ah, having never played the game, I didn't know. Very familiar with Press X to Jason though.
Spoiler (hover to show)

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 07:56:09 AM »

Time to get started ladies and germs.  Fire up those PS3s!

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 08:02:50 AM »

Weekly checkpoints are up!  Play ahead if you want, but please limit discussion until checkpoints are passed. Thanks!

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 07:12:45 PM »

I started playing today, went through 5 chapters so far. I have played this before and I remember liking it quite a lot - I've always liked cinematic and QTE-heavy games.

A few thoughts I've had going through again:
- The intro chapter to the game is soooo mundane. Almost an hour of wandering around a house or playing with kids. It doesn't do a whole lot to draw me into the story and makes me wonder what the initial draw was? I guess that it looked so good and was a rather unique game, especially if you hadn't already played Indigo Prophecy.
- The R2 to move thing initially sounds odd, but I found I got used to it really quickly.
- Jason... what a dumb kid.
- I like how all the voice actors sound slightly French, especially the kids.
- It's amazing how much Until Dawn seems to be influenced by this, from the extreme closeups on loading screens (or in the menu in UD) to the controls and action sequences.
- This is one of the only games where I don't hate the motion controls.

Another thing I thought about was how success and failure is handled in this game. Since most actions have a corresponding button to press, you can fail at a lot of things.  I'm generally pretty good at QTEs so I don't see many of the failures but at one point, when I was holding down two buttons to carry some groceries for Grace, I thought - what would happen if I let go? Would the groceries fall on the floor? It's interesting when failure can result in something not as severe as a game over but can impact what your character does or how characters react to them. But I still probably would never fail on purpose.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 04:35:46 PM »

I'm still working on Castlevania SotN, but count me in on this.  I have the PS3 GH version, and from what I understand, it's not an overly long game, so I should be able to get through it this month.  I hope that's the case!

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 07:34:06 AM »

Finished the first checkpoint. I forget why Madison is a character in this game other than to run around in her underwear and be a love interest. It's strange that she was introduced so late, she (so far) doesn't seem to really have a stake in the story.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 09:57:12 AM »

Sad to admit that I have not even started this game yet. Soccer has been on a rampage as of late; only two more weeks left thank God. However, the wife and I have planned to load it up tonight and get started, so I will report back shortly.  Thanks for playing guys, looking forward to discussing the first 13 chapters starting tomorrow.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length