RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:19:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | What's up with toughening up games? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What's up with toughening up games?  (Read 2408 times)
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« on: June 30, 2004, 06:51:57 AM »

Today I got Rayman 3 for my little brother (it finally dropped to 10 euros) and where the original rayman was a cute and likeble character, he know is 'tough', 'dark' and 'cool'.  And this goes for a lot more games.
10 years ago a lot of characters were sweet, kind creatures. But nowadays they're all hardcore and depressing. The only company that doesn't follow this trend is Nintendo.

Will this be temporary or are cute games a thing of the past? I don't really like this. Nowadays I'm not that interested in cute anymore, but when I was 10, I liked colorful, sugarcoated games and It's saddening that todays 10 year olds only have dark games to play.
shadytool
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 01:29:44 PM »

The only company that doesn't follow this trend is Nintendo.

that new link is pretty hardcore looking.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 02:06:18 PM »

The new link is hardcore, but he doesn't ride a Harley, curse, and have tattoos on his ass.  A lot of these new characters may as well, and I completely agree with Mark on this one.  Link is tough as nails in the new Zelda, but an announcer voice doesn't come onscreen every time Link does and yell in a testosterone-filled voice, "INJECTED WITH A POISON!!!"  Know what I mean?

Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 07:01:45 PM »

i think its going to always be here, but will die off a little in the next few years.

deadducks
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 05:26:31 PM »

I think it is just a fad. It will die like cell shading

2D Forever
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 03:31:23 AM »

I agree they toughening up characters and games to make them more  apealing than wimpy looking character and Billy Hatcher style games. Basically when i was 10 i was playing the Sonic, Mortal Kombat, Mario Bros. games and all have stuck to their own agenda Sonic and Mario are kidds games but still good enough gameplay wise to have adults play them, Mortal Kombat is still pissing off people like Joe Liberman because of its revolutionary violence. Rayman on the other hand i never played so i cannot coment on it but most other games are trying to stick to where they belong. Now if the next Mario game you have to pick up Princess in Bowsers hijacked Koopa Clown Car and pay for "services" to regain you life I would start to agree with you more so than over Rayman: Hoodlum Havok. Besides to be honest there are plenty of alternatives in the same genre.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length