RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:39:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Pricing Games? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pricing Games?  (Read 4909 times)
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« on: February 17, 2017, 09:38:56 PM »

I want to slim my unrulely collection (lots of random junk and duplicates that are just cluttering my gameroom) via listing stuff on Craigslist and was curious what the best way to decide prices is.

I know sites like Video Game Price Charting are around, but I was wondering if there's any other tips to determining something's value and pricing it fairly.

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 08:21:32 AM »

VGPC is a "good start", but use their tools to look at recent auctions that match what you're trying to sell, and the current trend in their graph tools, and try to price accordingly. Most people will use VGPC and offer 80% or so for a purchase.

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 08:56:11 AM »

You mention random junk as well as games, so check ebay as well as VGPC.  Ebay's sold listings will give you an idea what people are actually paying for things.  It's a handy tool to see through the sellers who are just fishing for dummies.

Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 05:25:25 PM »

How do I access the recent closed auctions/sales on Ebay?

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 09:43:55 PM »

How do I access the recent closed auctions/sales on Ebay?
There's checkboxes on the left side of results page when on the desktop site that allow you to narrow down results. There's also an Advanced Search page via a link next to the search bar.
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 11:31:38 PM »

Found it, thanks!

RobotWillie
Don't You Know Blackmail is Way Uncool
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 01:45:53 AM »

VGPC is what I use to make sure I am not getting scammed on sites like ebay and at used game shops as well. I also make a giant list of all my Amazon wish list games for the last 2 generations and write down there new price that shows up and print it out before I go to someplace like Gamestop or a local shop. I of course know they will mark it up for purposes of paying their employees and paying rent. But I try and find the best deals I can that are not any more than 5$ over what I can buy it online, or even better finding a copy thats just as cheap at the physical store, which has indeed happened. As for the Amazon list, in some case I just might rather pay for the new copy thats pretty much the same price than buy it used. But usually used games don't bother me much. Of course thats for new generations. I know when looking for old games all I can get is used except in rare cases.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 11:10:14 AM »

i haven't used price charting in quite a while because i often find their sources for prices aren't always that accurate. they sometimes have game lots listed under sources for a single game, or sealed copies listed under the CIB sources. i tend to use ebay's sold listing as my main source of prices, but it's really an art to figure out a good range. I don't factor in shipping costs, but sometimes the base price is abnormally low and the shipping is way overpriced to compensate, so you have to be careful not to take everything at face value. if a game has a large number of listings, i tend to ignore the extremes on either end of the range and go for something in the middle. if there's only a few listings then you can't really do that much about it.
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »

I use VGPC as a good barometer, but ultimately, I try to be fair in pricing, or setting trade values.  I try to also look at the rarity, demand, and other factors.  If you have a game store near you, have a peek at their prices, and depending on how inflated those are as compared to VGPC, that will give you a general idea of where to price stuff.

GamerNick
Collector of All Things Video Game Related
Sega Genesis
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 12:18:19 AM »

I use VGPC but I usually take 5-10% off what they have on there because its averaged out - but I find there can be issues - best thing to do is use VGPC, then use eBay and see what has sold you can sort from highest to lowest price which helps determine a better price.

Nick Procopio
BNS Games
"Gotta Play To Win"
www.bnsgames.com
Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in Bulk.
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 09:38:38 AM »

The ebay sold listings are king. It doesn't matter what you're into, games, coins, cars, guitars, cards, etc. eBay sold listings are king.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
GamerNick
Collector of All Things Video Game Related
Sega Genesis
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 01:56:13 AM »

The ebay sold listings are king. It doesn't matter what you're into, games, coins, cars, guitars, cards, etc. eBay sold listings are king.

Thumbs up!

Nick Procopio
BNS Games
"Gotta Play To Win"
www.bnsgames.com
Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in Bulk.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length