RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:24:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The Video Game................Game 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 86 Print
Author Topic: The Video Game................Game  (Read 270892 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #780 on: December 17, 2017, 11:39:07 AM »

Games That Remind You of People From Your Real Life

1. Every Truck Simulator type game (My dad was a truck driver from about 1995 to 2012ish and got to see all 48 lower states and most of Canada)
2. Executive Leaderboard (C64) (My mum and Dad used to compete against each other a lot in the 80s)
3. Donkey Kong (Atari VCS) (It's the only game my step-dad would ever play)

RobotWillie
Don't You Know Blackmail is Way Uncool
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #781 on: December 20, 2017, 09:16:30 PM »

1. Every Truck Simulator type game (My dad was a truck driver from about 1995 to 2012ish and got to see all 48 lower states and most of Canada)
2. Executive Leaderboard (C64) (My mum and Dad used to compete against each other a lot in the 80s)
4. Pilot Wings 64 and a few other 64 games and some SNES games (I spent a lot of time at my youngest uncles playing his 64 and SNES)

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #782 on: December 30, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »

4. Pilot Wings 64 and a few other 64 games and some SNES games (I spent a lot of time at my youngest uncles playing his 64 and SNES)
5. Monster Rancher (ps1) me and my brother spent hours just checking every CD in the house.

FatherJack
On Hiatus
United Kingdom
Awards: 2015 RFGENERATION TOP RUN N' GUNNER

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #783 on: December 30, 2017, 09:42:59 AM »

5. Monster Rancher (ps1) me and my brother spent hours just checking every CD in the house.
6. Super Cars 2 (Amiga) Me and an old school friend always played this when he came round my house.
RobotWillie
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #784 on: January 20, 2018, 02:23:06 PM »

6. Super Cars 2 (Amiga) Me and an old school friend always played this when he came round my house.
7. Borderlands 1 and 2 and Diablo 3- Games I played in person co-op with not over the internet with my brother. Rare in this age!

RobotWillie
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #785 on: February 03, 2018, 04:04:52 PM »

Lets try a new topic.

Consoles You Wish Had Been More Successful or were Underrated In Your Opinion

1. Sega Dreamcast

FatherJack
On Hiatus
United Kingdom
Awards: 2015 RFGENERATION TOP RUN N' GUNNER

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #786 on: February 03, 2018, 04:13:36 PM »

1. Sega Dreamcast
2. C64GS
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #787 on: February 03, 2018, 08:32:26 PM »

1. Sega Dreamcast
2. C64GS
3. Sega Saturn ( needed to be a 2d power house)

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #788 on: February 03, 2018, 11:38:13 PM »

1. Sega Dreamcast
2. C64GS
4. Playstation Vita

The Vita is a really good handheld with many good games, and is highly successful in Japan.  Unfortunately in the West it was poorly supported.  Games have been hard to come by since the beginning, too many of them have been digital only, a sizeable chunk of the library are online limited releases, and getting physical copies of games requires a LOT of importing.  Frankly, if Sony put a bit more effort to ensure there were games on shelves this system could have competed with the 3DS worldwide.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #789 on: February 04, 2018, 09:03:18 AM »

1. Sega Dreamcast
2. C64GS
4. Playstation Vita
5. Timex Sinclair 2068

Not technically a console, but it did have games on it  Wink.  The Timex Sinclair 2068 was basically a tooled up ZX Spectrum (48k), but with a cartridge port, two joystick ports, an actual soundchip (the same one later used in the Spectrum 128k), better graphics, and keyboard buttons that don't feel like a cheap calculator (more like a moderately priced calculator).  Unfortunately, it was released in November 1983, right at the beginning of the video game crash in this country.  To make matters worse, this also happened to be the middle of the great Commodore market war, so that in some places the C64 (a more familiar machine to Americans) could be found for as low as $200, which also happened to be the original launch price of the C64.  Needless to say the TS2068 was not successful in the NA region, though it was slightly more popular in Europe, especially Poland (from what I've read).

Software wise, it's hard to say how many titles were released, though a list from World of Spectrum suggests as many as 53, though most of them are not games.  I like to imagine that, at least in the NA region, if Timex hadn't folded and had put more marketing behind the TS2068, as well as enticed ZX Spectrum developers to ports titles it would have survived and become more than a tiny footprint in computer history.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #790 on: February 05, 2018, 02:29:05 AM »

1. Sega Dreamcast
2. C64GS
4. Playstation Vita
5. Timex Sinclair 2068
6. Virtual Boy

I find the whole it "it gives me headaches" complaint to be mostly a product of the setup/position people play it in. If engineers would have managed to make it more like a modern VR headset in the manner that they strap easily to your head, I think that would be resolved. Otherwise, I'm a big fan of the graphical aesthetic and music of the VB and wish it had a bigger library. I like the VB's 3D effects better than the 3D of the 3DS that fails if you even slightly move your head.
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #791 on: February 05, 2018, 03:36:33 AM »

1. Sega Dreamcast
2. C64GS
4. Playstation Vita
5. Timex Sinclair 2068
6. Virtual Boy
7. Wii U

Yeah, I know, obvious choice.  The Wii U may have been the weakest Gen 8 and the last home console to have my biggest bugbear (region locking Angry ) and a few really bad design choices.  Yet the touch screen controller was surprisingly comfortable and well laid out, and I think that the touch screen could have been used well for action RPGs and RTS games so you didn't have to stop the action every time you needed to access inventory.  So much wasted potential AND irritating gimmickry.

I agree that the VB was interesting-- seeing platform games like Wario Land VB operating on two layers was great.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #792 on: February 05, 2018, 09:25:45 AM »

1. Sega Dreamcast
2. C64GS
4. Playstation Vita
5. Timex Sinclair 2068
6. Virtual Boy
7. Wii U
8. TG16

Wish it had done better in North America and had more games localized and it would have been fun to have a few friends who owned one as a kid. Totally missed out!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #793 on: February 05, 2018, 09:33:18 AM »

1. Sega Dreamcast
2. C64GS
4. Playstation Vita
5. Timex Sinclair 2068
6. Virtual Boy
7. Wii U
8. TG16

Wish it had done better in North America and had more games localized and it would have been fun to have a few friends who owned one as a kid. Totally missed out!

Totally agree, Crabby!  I wanted a TG16 so bad as a kid, but none of the retailers in my area sold them or the games, so my parents said no Sad

1. Sega Dreamcast
2. C64GS
4. Playstation Vita
5. Timex Sinclair 2068
6. Virtual Boy
7. Wii U
8. TG16
9. Vectrex

I only had occasion to play the Vectrex once, at my neighbor's house during the one year I lived in Indiana, but man, it was impressive.  It's too bad it didn't sell better, or become more well known, because it was unique and interesting.

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #794 on: February 05, 2018, 04:08:22 PM »

1. Sega Dreamcast
2. C64GS
4. Playstation Vita
5. Timex Sinclair 2068
6. Virtual Boy
7. Wii U
8. TG16
9. Vectrex
10. Atari 7800 ProSystem

Virtual Boy was my first pick.  I got it when it was being liquidated and I just loved it.  I waited patiently for games like Jack Bros, Bound High, and Dragon Hopper, but they never came.  I'm still waiting for Dragon Hopper, somehow, someway.

The Atari 7800 was a system I had never even heard of until I started collecting.  I picked it up to play Nintendo's games on it, Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, etc.  I was fascinated by the novelty of playing Nintendo games on pre-NES systems.  But, as I picked up more 7800 games, I quickly grew to enjoy its style of 8-bit graphics and colors.  The 7800 has ambitious games mixed in amongst its ports, games like Ninja Golf and Scrapyard Dog.  It would never be an NES beater, or even a Master System beater, but if it could have had a few more years of releases, it could have been a really respectable platform to go back and collect for, a true unsung 8-bit hero.

What console/computer/game platform from a country outside your own is on your wishlist?

1. ZX Spectrum

This was close, but the Speccy's library of games and its place in the hearts of gamers outside the US seals it.  It may have color clash and farty sounds, but it's a system I am endlessly curious about and would love to own.

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 86 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length