RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:13:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | August 2017 Playthrough - Journey (w/ The Cartridge Club) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: August 2017 Playthrough - Journey (w/ The Cartridge Club)  (Read 13688 times)
alatinolawyer
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 06:31:10 AM »

Hey there guys!  Just saying hello on y'alls forum.  I don't have a SonyBox so I'll live vicariously through all your playthroughs.  It sure looks pretty and fun.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 08:36:50 PM »

Hey there guys!  Just saying hello on y'alls forum.  I don't have a SonyBox so I'll live vicariously through all your playthroughs.  It sure looks pretty and fun.

Welcome good sir. Enjoy your stay and hopefully you'll get some good use out of our database.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 03:39:25 PM »

So anyone else playing this? What's the weekly goal... I'm so confused on such a short game, what to do after finishing it once

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 04:38:39 PM »

This isn't official, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say checkpoints wouldn't make sense for this one.

Don't spoil the ending yet. Wink

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 12:50:31 PM »

I'm back home after a family trip.  Will pop in some Journey either today or tomorrow

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 04:38:08 PM »

I played through today. I don't really consider this game spoilable, but I'll go ahead and put this all in spoiler tags anyway. I have cross-posted this here and on the CC forums.

Spoiler (hover to show)
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 08:21:25 AM »

I gotta echo Pam. Journey didn't do much for me. Just seemed like a game about growing and shrinking scarves. I met two other players during my run and didn't even know you could recharge your scarf powers until Pam mentioned it. One player I just noticed leaving an area before I was able to so we didn't get to interact and the second player I met when we were climbing the frozen mountain. In the frozen mountain area the cold sapped your ability to gain any scarf powers and also made it so my speaking function didn't work. So basically my one chance to interact with another player was squandered. We trekked up the mountain together, but as soon as we passed out in the snow and the next area loaded he was gone and I never saw him again. Is two a low number of players to see during a playthrough? Can you meet multiple players in the same areas? Can a player you meet in one area progress to the next area with you? I don't get it.

Journey really felt like it was trying to be a game like Ico or Shadow of the Colossus, but didn't have the emotion, impact or intelligence of either of those. There never felt like there were any stakes or any real reason to push towards your goal. I like how they tried to tell the story by having you find things off the beaten path like the murals or some old ruins, but I think it really failed in actually telling any story. I have no idea what the game was about, why this world was in ruin, who the other characters are, why is a dragon eating my scarf, is the cloth stuff a power source and if so why does cold affect it so easily, why my character needed to get to the light on the mountain or even who my character was. So many questions and no answers.

Ending related:
Spoiler (hover to show)

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 01:05:47 PM »

I saw 3 people on my playthrough, so 2 doesn't seem especially low. I don't believe you can run into more than one person per area, but I'm not positive. You can transition into new areas with someone though.
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 07:51:03 AM »

I played through this last night. If I were playing this in 2013 I would have been amazed but it's 2017 and I've already played Rime. I highly recommend Rime as narrative has more lasting impact.

This quote does a good job of summarizing what's going on in Journey:

Spoiler (hover to show)

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 08:25:41 AM »

I played through this last night. If I were playing this in 2013 I would have been amazed but it's 2017 and I've already played Rime. I highly recommend Rime as narrative has more lasting impact.

This quote does a good job of summarizing what's going on in Journey:

Spoiler (hover to show)

It's pretty daming that a game from 5 years ago that got SO MUCH critical praise and tons of word of mouth already feels so dated. Instead of the instant classic and must play that many people pegged it as it's already become almost throw away in just a few short years. Is that because games have really progressed so much in such a short time? Are indie games not held to the same standards? Is it being a mainly digital game that we view/judge it differently? Since it's short/cheap does it get a pass?

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 08:39:10 AM »

Games that explore the human condition garner more critical praise and their more open ended nature will lead to a diverse set of opinions.

Think about games like:

Rime
Syberia
Abzu

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 08:43:51 AM »

Games that explore the human condition garner more critical praise and their more open ended nature will lead to a diverse set of opinions.

Think about games like:

Rime
Syberia
Abzu

Syberia.......*shutter*

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 10:56:30 AM »

I finished Journey last night in one sitting.  I enjoyed my time with it and my only regret is not exploring a little more.  Beautiful game and an incredible soundtrack.  There's just something about playing a game this beautiful. I understand the gameplay criticisms, but with a 2 hour game, I could care less.  Beautiful, haunting, life affirming.... shut off what you know about games and just enjoy the ride.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 11:02:24 AM »

@singlebanana: Try Abzu.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2017, 11:13:03 AM »

@singlebanana: Try Abzu.

Seconded.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length