RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:07:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | September 2017 Playthrough - The Last Guardian 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: September 2017 Playthrough - The Last Guardian  (Read 21766 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: August 09, 2017, 03:42:21 PM »

PARTICIPANTS:
GrayGhost81
singlebanana
douglie007
Disposed Hero
Addicted

CHECKPOINTS:
Week one: Two glass eyes face one another from across a narrow room.
Week two: Catapult me!
Week three: "Exhausted, I fell into a deep slumber..."
Week four: Finish the game.

TIPS & TRICKS
1. If you played ICO or Shadow of the Colossus you know how the controls in Ueda's games are unique. If you're not familiar with this control style, it may take some getting used to. Have patience.

2. Speaking of the controls, the boy sticks to Trico like frigging velcro. Even if you've played SotC, this element is completely different. If you get frustrated trying to get onto or off of Trico, just relax and try jumping clear off of the top of his head. Otherwise, try holding the X button to let go and fall off.

3. Use the game's generous checkpointing system. A tactic I developed when I found myself getting flustered or stuck on what to do next is resetting to the last checkpoint via the pause menu. Many times, this is helpful as it "resets" both the boy and Trico in way that sort of aims them towards the next goal. Nine times out of ten this helped me figure out what I needed to do. Every so often, it wouldn't. In those cases, I turned the game off and returned to it the next day. Without fail, I was able to push through.

4. Have patience. I'm going to be honest, at first this game tried my patience in ways I've never experienced before. I almost fell into the same mental trap I did in July with Shining Force II, putting pressure on myself to make sure the game was in the can and checkpoints set up for the playthrough. However, I understood quickly and adjusted myself to realize something extremely important when playing this game. If you try to rush it, you're gonna have a bad time. The main gameplay element here is cooperating with a gigantic animal who has a mind of its own. I think animal lovers might have a smoother time with this game, as I know that helped me. All others, take your time and get used to Trico's behavior.  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:03:50 PM by GrayGhost81 » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 07:00:41 PM »

I still need to finish July & August

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 07:09:32 AM »

I still need to finish July & August

Ha ha!  Get on it son!

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 07:23:17 AM »

I need to get this game now... The hunt begins put me down, Ill figure out what I will do when I get to the time to play Smiley

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 07:36:46 AM »

I need to get this game now... The hunt begins put me down, Ill figure out what I will do when I get to the time to play Smiley

Kind of figured you might be in. Wink

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 07:52:03 AM »

I just finished this quite recently. I'm not gonna play again this soon, but it's fresh enough that I can watch some videos to refresh myself and hopefully add some constructive conversation.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 08:01:59 AM »

I just finished this quite recently. I'm not gonna play again this soon, but it's fresh enough that I can watch some videos to refresh myself and hopefully add some constructive conversation.

That would be awesome Crabby!

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 12:09:54 PM »

@singlebanana: I need to finish Horizon Zero Dawn... I'm close to the end.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 12:12:10 PM »

@singlebanana: I need to finish Horizon Zero Dawn... I'm close to the end.

YOU FINISH THESE GAMES AND YOU LIKE IT!

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 07:55:36 AM »

@singlebanana: I finished the August game so add me in for the September game.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 01:08:05 PM »

if anyone needs this its only 20$ at gamefly https://www.gamefly.com/#!/game/The-Last-Guardian/5009579
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:12:45 PM by douglie007 » Logged

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 08:24:18 AM »

I have the game and will start tonight... it might be the only way I can stay current.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 08:30:30 PM »

I got yelled at for buying this... and about 500$ worth of other game stuff this month, I need to not go crazy on game some times, but I have to blame limited run games on most of the spending Smiley

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 06:34:15 AM »

@douglie007: I hope you saved enough for the SNES classic.

I started my playthough so I can keep up with the discussion when it starts. Then I can go back to Shining Force 2.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 06:58:24 AM »

I still don't have a copy of this damn game yet, and I want to get started!

My first copy from Gamefly didn't work and had to be returned. I bought another copy off ebay and it is taking forever to arrive.

Oh well, at least my PS4 is hooked up. Right, Rich?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length