RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:53:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Cheap AV Cables for Atari Jaguar. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cheap AV Cables for Atari Jaguar.  (Read 3086 times)
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« on: September 02, 2017, 06:16:09 PM »

I'm getting my gameroom together and I'm at a loss on how to hook hook my Jaguar without going to great lengths to hook an RF box directly to my flatscreen's cable port or hooking it up only to my CRT.

I've found some A/V cables for it online (it seems to use a proprietary plug for A/V output much like the Genesis), but they're all something insane for cables like $28. I say insane because I ordered Xbox Component Cables and Genesis Model 2 Component Cables for $8 a pop while going through this process.

Is there a cheaper solution?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 06:18:44 PM by shoboni » Logged

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

executioner
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 08:21:15 PM »

Well something not cheaper but better image quality for around $25 is to get an RGB cable, but it requires an investment in a SCART to component or hdmi box.
engel762
Donor

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 09:40:24 PM »

I ended up making my own av cable a few years ago using a set of old RCA cables and a connector I ordered. I'll see if I can find the guide when I get off work later.
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 10:10:33 PM »

I ended up making my own av cable a few years ago using a set of old RCA cables and a connector I ordered. I'll see if I can find the guide when I get off work later.

The real ones are insanely expensive for some reason, so I may have to learn basic wiring and try that.

I can't justify a $30 cable for a system I paid $15 for and only have six games.

engel762
Donor

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 12:11:58 AM »

It wasn't too hard to do, just need to be able to solder with some proficiency and follow a pin out diagram for the connector.  A little trial and error also required in my case, I had some of the audio pins swapped initially lol

http://www.retroreviewpro...-videocomposite-av-cable/

I followed that guide, and only made mine composite, but it has info for s- video as well.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:28:04 AM by engel762 » Logged
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 01:23:41 PM »

It wasn't too hard to do, just need to be able to solder with some proficiency and follow a pin out diagram for the connector.  A little trial and error also required in my case, I had some of the audio pins swapped initially lol

I followed that guide, and only made mine composite, but it has info for s- video as well.

I have an unholy amount of random AV Cables, so I'd likely go with a plain old A/V mod. Do you have to have the S-Video or can you just skip that hook up the pins for the Composite and Audio to no ill-effect?

If so, it looks like a simple process of finding the right six pins with the chart and soldiering the wires to them. I took electronics in High-School so I should be able to muster enough of my old soldering knowadge to do a simple project like that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:26:03 PM by shoboni » Logged

engel762
Donor

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 09:18:27 PM »

I just did composite and audio.  I'd intended to do s-video, but after I started to strip wires for it, I was like nope! Wires too small and fiddly for me to want to deal with lol

It wasn't too hard to do, just need to be able to solder with some proficiency and follow a pin out diagram for the connector.  A little trial and error also required in my case, I had some of the audio pins swapped initially lol

I have an unholy amount of random AV Cables, so I'd likely go with a plain old A/V mod. Do you have to have the S-Video or can you just skip that hook up the pins for the Composite and Audio to no ill-effect?

If so, it looks like a simple process of finding the right six pins with the chart and soldiering the wires to them. I took electronics in High-School so I should be able to muster enough of my old soldering knowadge to do a simple project like that.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length