RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:59:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | November 2017 Playthrough - Final Fantasy Adventure 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: November 2017 Playthrough - Final Fantasy Adventure  (Read 21130 times)
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 03:07:45 AM »

I was looking at the wiki, has anyone tried  Adventures of Mana to see if the story and gameplay was close to the original?

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 08:54:51 PM »

Got up to Mr. Lee mansion and just did some grinding around there. Up to level 9, and not sure if I should bother grinding more or not.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 09:14:38 PM »

Got up to Mr. Lee mansion and just did some grinding around there. Up to level 9, and not sure if I should bother grinding more or not.

I really didn't do any unnecessary grinding, just quickly killed everything on screen as I moved along. Ended game around level 50.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2017, 11:03:30 AM »

I completed the first objective pretty quickly, but haven't quite hit the second yet.  Not sure how far I have to go before I find the Golem.  I'm digging this game so far, though even after getting past level 20, I'm still dying more than I'd like.  Part of that is that I get into it and don't pay attention to my health, and some of it I think has to do with the controls.  Having got used to Link's Awakening back in January, I was expecting a bit more of the same, but for an action RPG it's not quite refined at that level.  It's close, but there are a few goofy things about the game's design that hold it back ever so slightly.  The random enemy movements is one - there are times when you'll enter a screen an basically have to either immediately use an attack spell to ward off an enemy that appears right in front of you, or basically take damage and hope they don't end up on top of you while you're attacking.  Really enjoy the soundtrack, and the graphics are really outstanding for the Game Boy, much like the earlier Final Fantasy Legend games.  I'm also impressed by the story - there's a lot of more mature stuff going on here, in terms of thematic elements.  I mean, within the first few minutes of the game, two characters you interact with die in front of you.  Square definitely was not afraid to tug at the ol' heart strings with this one.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2017, 01:27:01 PM »

I completely agree regarding the controls. They feel pretty rigid at times, especially on the Gameboy. I'm moved to the SP and it seemed to respond a little better, or perhaps I just got more use to it. Spawning can suck sometimes but really all you have to do is move back a screen and then back to the same. This typically resets enemies and can also give you different numbers and configurations.

The soundtrack is incredible and yeah, there's quite a bit of sadness to deal with in this game. Kind of refreshing that it's a story of sacrifice and avoids the typical rainbow and unicorn farts stylings of most American games.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2017, 02:40:37 PM »

I don't like the AI for your companions they seem a little off like they don't see the enemies. But another news man I'm so glad I bought component cables back when they were cheap for my GameCube it makes the game look good. I use the gbi software and a media launcher so I can zoom in[img width=700 height=393]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171104/7870e7018599f859f38c0c96b289abf5.jpg[/img]

russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2017, 06:19:20 PM »

Man that’s looking real sweet.
Grabbing my copy Monday so I’ll be playing Monday and Tueaday. Maybe even stream it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now your playing with power!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2017, 06:20:03 PM »

Nice Russ!

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2017, 06:21:44 PM »

I completely agree regarding the controls. They feel pretty rigid at times, especially on the Gameboy. I'm moved to the SP and it seemed to respond a little better, or perhaps I just got more use to it. Spawning can suck sometimes but really all you have to do is move back a screen and then back to the same. This typically resets enemies and can also give you different numbers and configurations.

The soundtrack is incredible and yeah, there's quite a bit of sadness to deal with in this game. Kind of refreshing that it's a story of sacrifice and avoids the typical rainbow and unicorn farts stylings of most American games.

Quotable!  That's going in the podcast Wink

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 02:48:51 AM »

I think I went to the wrong place.. I was trying to find the snow hills and I found a dude that shot skulls and killed me in 2 hits.  I did manage to beat him and get a spell, but now I need to find where I need to go.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 06:25:42 AM »

I think I went to the wrong place.. I was trying to find the snow hills and I found a dude that shot skulls and killed me in 2 hits.  I did manage to beat him and get a spell, but now I need to find where I need to go.

Yeah, you killed the Lich, but that's okay, since you actually need that spell to progress later in the game. If you leave the castle where things are frozen and go Northwest across the land, (you don't even have to go on the water) you will find a group of trees that you can chop down to go North and into the snow area.

ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2017, 06:43:04 AM »

I was looking at the wiki, has anyone tried  Adventures of Mana to see if the story and gameplay was close to the original?

I played it. The story and gameplay are EXACTLY the same. In fact, I'd call it Final Fantasy Adventure with a coat of fresh paint and nothing else. Even the original oversights/exploits are still present, I think! It's awesome!

[img width=300 height=70]https://image.ibb.co/fSULkF/Signature_zpsfvzatdip.png[/img]
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2017, 06:44:26 AM »

I played it. The story and gameplay are EXACTLY the same. In fact, I'd call it Final Fantasy Adventure with a coat of fresh paint and nothing else. Even the original oversights/exploits are still present, I think! It's awesome!

Interesting. I've heard a lot of negativity towards it, but good to know it's a decent game.

russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2017, 09:26:07 AM »

Got a good amount of gameplay in last night. I played on Monday night and didn’t realize how to save and I died. So had to start over. Ha

Starting again I got a lot farther and found how to save. I was playing on the gba player so the select button was y or something.

I got to mirror and fought the vampire guy but I have yet to beat him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now your playing with power!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2017, 12:24:55 PM »

Awesome Russ!  You are close to the first checkpoint.  Took me a while to figure out saves too and was always looking for an inn or something. Had to start over twice, but wasn't very far in.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length