RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:13:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | July 2018 Shmup - Gradius 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: July 2018 Shmup - Gradius  (Read 20935 times)
Golem
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 10:17:16 AM »

Excellent writeup/car puns!

I registered to show Gradius love. I've cleared loop 1 of the arcade version, but the second loop is insane. I can't get consistent at the stage 2 cube rush.

I mostly prefer double in this one. Which do folks prefer, double or laser?

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 10:20:58 AM »

Is it too late to get in on the Gradius action (I'd be playing on the NES)? I'm pretty new to RF Generation, but a certain friend of mine suggested it to me...

DUDE! So glad to see you joined the site, after all the time I've been telling you about it Wink

Definitely not too late, and I'll add you to the list. I expect to see some good scores, my friend  Grin

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 10:22:58 AM »

Excellent writeup/car puns!

I registered to show Gradius love. I've cleared loop 1 of the arcade version, but the second loop is insane. I can't get consistent at the stage 2 cube rush.

I mostly prefer double in this one. Which do folks prefer, double or laser?

Thanks for registering, and welcome to the site! Thanks for the kind words - I do try and be as punny as possible Grin

I'm definitely a laser guy, but there are a few spots where double really comes in handy, so I have been known to switch to that in certain times. I haven't managed to reach the second loop yet, in any version, but I've come close on NES, so I'm curious to see where I end up.

zophar53
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 11:26:18 AM »

I'm definitely in! I have a Raspberry Pi with the NES ROM on it, but I tried out the PS4 Arcade Archives as well. I was surprised to find out that I had no memory of it being called Nemesis in the US. Also, this game is a lot harder than I remember; I've only managed to make it to stage 2 so far Sad Wonder if the old Konami code made it into the original....

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 11:55:48 AM »

I'm definitely in! I have a Raspberry Pi with the NES ROM on it, but I tried out the PS4 Arcade Archives as well. I was surprised to find out that I had no memory of it being called Nemesis in the US. Also, this game is a lot harder than I remember; I've only managed to make it to stage 2 so far Sad Wonder if the old Konami code made it into the original....

The Konami Code is in the original NES version.  Per Wikipedia:

Gradius (Famicom/NES) – The first use of the code. Pausing the game and entering the code activates all powerups except for Speed Up, Double, and Laser.

So effectively, you get full options and a shield with the code. Great for practicing and learning enemy patterns/waves, and level layouts. Obviously, any scoring while using this cheat code would be null and void. I'll add you to the list!

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 10:06:04 PM »

Okay, first score post for Gradius, via the NES version. Sorry for the ultra zoomed in perspective, but I couldn’t seem to get a clear picture without putting my phone really close to the screen. This is me reaching Stage 6, then quickly losing all my lives and getting my butt handed to me. One thing I always forget, when I haven’t played this game in a long while, is the near constant hail of bullets from enemies. For a NES game, this has a lot of projectiles! It can get pretty hairy, trying to dodge it all.

Just a heads up, for those that weren’t aware, Gradius on the NES was one of the games played during the December 2014 shmup competition, here on RF Generation. I got the high score in the game, having reached Stage 7. I wasn’t using turbo then, because it was against the rules, but I am now, and would encourage others to do so, because it makes the game more forgiving. Since I only have this one shmup to concentrate on in July, I am really hoping to see the game’s second loop.

Golem
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 06:03:24 AM »

Nice score, MetalFRO--with that score on stage 6, you must be a lot more aggressive than me! And recovery on stage 6 is tricky, especially in the opening segment.

I gave the NES version a crack to see how rusty I've gotten. My (fourth) credit ended on 1-7 with 332,800 points.

I also agree that turbo is a must. I wish the Virtual Console releases had it like they did for Turbografx.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 06:06:03 AM by Golem » Logged

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 08:46:15 AM »

Yeah, I try and get every single enemy in a stage, if at all possible. Naturally, that brings up the score, but since enemies can even shoot at you as they're leaving the screen, it makes sense to try and take them all out so the screen is less full of stuff to dodge. Not a bad score, though, and it looks like you're doing pretty well!

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2018, 10:14:45 PM »

Something EZ Racer brought up is the fact that Gradius is on the NES Classic Mini, which I had forgotten. I assume it goes without saying, but I’ll say it anyway: save states are fine for practice and learning a level, but of course, scores should be submitted for contiguous, single credit runs. I know we’re not competing, per se, but let’s at least keep the playing field reasonably level.

Nefarious Wes
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 03:42:48 PM »

So, we're going for top scores then? I streamed a no-death run yesterday, but quit once I beat it.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 03:50:23 PM »

So, we're going for top scores then? I streamed a no-death run yesterday, but quit once I beat it.

Welcome, Wes! Yeah, posting scores is part of the fun, but it's more of a casual thing. I don't have any prizes to give out to winners (yet), so it's mostly just for bragging rights. Congrats on your no-death run! I haven't watched it yet, but I'm wondering if it's just the first loop, or if it's both? I'll have to go check it out Cheesy

Nefarious Wes
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 04:48:47 PM »

Just the one loop. It's a short game, so I can try and see how high of a score I can get. Don't even worry about prizes, I like to do this stuff simply for fun. I host challenges every now and then and I can't afford to give out prizes.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 05:00:21 PM »

Just the one loop. It's a short game, so I can try and see how high of a score I can get. Don't even worry about prizes, I like to do this stuff simply for fun. I host challenges every now and then and I can't afford to give out prizes.

Cool beans. I just watched your Gradius run, and that was impressive! I was surprised you survived the Stage 6 boss by staying in the back. I usually get killed doing that, so I've switched to flying the Vic Viper up a bit, out of the path of the projectiles, and letting my Options do all the work for that boss fight  slick

My biggest issue is the Moai stage, which you conveniently warped past in your no-death run. However, when playing for score, you don't want to skip that, because the rings they shoot out add up quickly for point milking, just like the rocks in Stages 1 and 4 in the volcano sections.

Nefarious Wes
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 05:25:16 PM »

That's how I've always fought that boss. Yeah, if I'm gonna play for score I need to avoid the warps. It's hard for me to NOT warp after the moai head stage.
Golem
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2018, 08:31:49 PM »

The Moai stage is scary, but not because of the Moai. The giant frisbees are a menace.

-They take multiple hits.
-They shoot a spread shot.
-Their shots are big.
-Their shots pay your shield no mind. (A bonus for the arcade version: this means their shots will gobble up your entire shield.)
-Their shots block your shots.
-They rush you without concern. Vic Viper is no more than a splattered bug on their windshield.

I think they are the most fearsome ships in the galaxy.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length