RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:25:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | August 2018 Playthrough - Die Hard Arcade & Dynamite Cop 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: August 2018 Playthrough - Die Hard Arcade & Dynamite Cop  (Read 8635 times)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 07:09:44 PM »

Deep Scan is a bore. Rather than grinding out a few more credits on a minigame I don't like, I'll go with the action replay. Please keep in mind, I'm very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very bad at video games.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 07:19:05 PM »

I finished Die Hard yesterday with 14 credits, I got just past the football player with the original 4 credits

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 06:10:22 PM »

Got to sink an hour into Dynamite Cop today. I was familiar with the Bruno character from the Project X Zone series so I knew it was going to be a bit goofy and I was pretty excited about that. It did not disappoint. I'm excited to spend more time with the game since I was only able to do the one play through so far, but I really love this. As far as 3D beat em ups go this has to be among the best. It's more polished in every way than Die Hard Trilogy, but keeps a lot of the great ideas from it. Just from that first dive onto the boat and initiating a grab that turned into me repeatedly breaking the enemies legs/groin/arms/back was hilarious. And then only a screen or two after that I hit someone with a rocket launcher that made a mushroom cloud that flew his corpse basically into space. The SUCCESS parts are just as good in this game too.

The style is so over the top it reminds of of something like City Hunter or Wasabi. Just reading the manual before hand had me in stitches where they Bruno's monkey takes a piss on him while he is trying to act all tough and intimidate the pirates. The combo system works great. It's easier to get the grab to connect than in Die Hard Trilogy. They toned down the arrest and how OP the handgun was, which is probably a good thing as it was pretty exploitable in Die Hard. The arrest is still great, but it's hard to keep a handgun for as long so you can't just clear a whole screen as easily. Saving up the P and S powerups seemed like a priority at first, but I'm not so sure when reflecting on it. They don't seem quite a good as I thought they did at first when you have a full meter. Might try and put less emphasize on them on my next playthrough and see how it goes. I love that there are still tons of items to pick up and interact with. Weapons and power ups everywhere. Also accidentally found a ton of gallery art just by punching scenery.

It I have a complaint right now it's that when I finished the game it felt like it was way to short!! I wanted more. I've only played through with Ivy so far so I'm definitely at the very least going to play with both of the other characters. I also messed around with the Survival Mode and Tranquilizer as well. Tranquilizer is an odd inclusion, just as Deep Scan was on Die Hard. I like that they at least made it an unlockable and that you earn credits for it by playing Dynamite Cop rather than the other way around though like in Die Hard. Survival Mode is fun and I'm going to at least try and set a 30 enemy time with each of the 3 characters on the 3 stages. The length of the game is probably a good thing since it seems like there are a variety of reasons to revisit it in short bursts. Gotta figure out how to unlock that Showdown mode and see what that's about.

Also you get to fight a Kraken so there's that.

PS - Rich, did you ever end up finishing Die Hard Trilogy yet?

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 08:15:28 AM »

Played through with Bruno this time and started on Mission 2 instead. Get some new levels when you start on different missions which is awesome! More variety and replayability than I anticipated.  The last boss wasn't nearly as bad as I thought he was the first attempt. Only had to use one credit on him this time. Just gotta dodge the long range attack he does after his spinning teleport move and then use either jump attacks or dash moves and then keep some distance from his wake up attacks. I like that each character has totally different move sets. Some of the attacks I found most useful with Ivy where not as effective with Bruno so I had to explore his moves and find suitable replacements.

Was talking the game up to my neighbor and sounds like he is gonna come over tomorrow and give it a go with me so I may be able to talk about the co-op if all goes as planned as well as try the last character.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 11:53:23 AM »

DOH!  No, still have not finished Die Hard Trilogy yet, but now that the podcast is out, I can sink more time into these games.

Thanks for all of the awesome thoughts on these games Crabby!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 04:58:14 PM »

Finished the game with all 3 characters now. I need to confirm it, but I think each character has a different amount of credits to them. So when Grayghost81 asked earlier about having unlimited and then had a finite number I'm curious if you picked different players each time. Seemed like Ivy had unlimited and Eddie had the least at 4 and I think Bruno had like 9 if I remember correctly. Eddie may have the least credits, but he is definitely the most powerful character. I was able to get through with him on my first attempt with just the 4 credits. He is fast AND strong where as Bruno seems more Strong and Ivy seems faster. So I've beaten it once with each character and each mission which unlocked the Showdown mode. I havn't got a chance to dig in too much yet, but it seems like its an expert mode where you play through the same 3 missions again, but they have certain restrictions or handicaps that make it more challenging and you are limited to a single credit. I tried Mission 4 and the catch was that enemy weapons deal way more damage. I was only able to make it to the kitchen on that run. Looks like one of them is time based and you have to clear rooms quickly to keep progressing. That one has piqued my interest and hopefully I'll have some more time to give it a few goes.

Also got to 42 kills on the survival mode with Bruno. Can't seem to quite break 30 with Ivy and havn't tried with Eddie yet.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 07:59:37 AM »

So I had my neighbour over to explore the co-op.......and there is not co-op Sad There is only a 1 vs 1 head to head mode that really kind of sucks. I'm quite impressed with all of the single player offerings, but it's multiplayer is pathetic.

Before he came over I tried out Missions 4,5 and 6. I don't think I have the dedication to finish any of these ones. All of them seem to limit you to one credit no matter which character you select so that's a huge hurtle right there. On top of that they all have special condition that are brutal. Mission 6 in particular makes it so that no S power ups appear and you start 1 hit away from death! That's right empty health meter right from the get go. That's perfectionist mode if I've ever seen one. Gonna have to check out a youtube video of someone doing that because it sounds pretty intense. I like the idea of Mission 5s time trial, but being limited to only the one credit makes it pretty intimidating to me.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2018, 08:11:17 AM »

Had the day off today so I figured I'd polish off Die Hard. Played Deep Scan after all and I when I came out of the coma that game put me in, I had 80 credits. Ended up beating the game in 18 minutes, using 19 credits. Probably burned through ten credits on the first form of the final boss. He definitely had probably two full invisible life bars before you can actually do damage to him. However, he is nowhere nearly as bad as the boss from Dynamite Cop. I'm glad to hear that you developed a good strategy for him, Crabby, but I just kept getting killed over and over. Thank goodness for those infinite continues. The first time I played through the game was with Ivy and I had infinite credits, the second time I also used Ivy and I didn't, so I dunno, man.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2018, 11:03:50 AM »

Finished both games this past weekend. Curious to get final thoughts from those of you who have played it. I will save mine for the podcast of course. Smiley

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2018, 03:51:46 PM »

Finish Dynamite Cop. The robo mods to the final boss was a nice touch, I wanted to get the info to the RFgen Twitch and stream it there, but no one pmed me or added me as a streamer.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length