RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:58:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | September 2018 Playthrough - Batman: The Telltale Series 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: September 2018 Playthrough - Batman: The Telltale Series  (Read 11543 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: August 09, 2018, 11:53:41 AM »

CHECKPOINTS
Episode 1 - 9/8
Episode 2 - 9/15
Episode 3 - 9/22
Episode 4 & 5 - 9/30

PARTICIPANTS:
GrayGhost81
singlebanana
bickman2k
douglie007
Crabmaster2000
zophar53
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 10:37:29 AM by GrayGhost81 » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 11:58:50 AM »

I'm Batman!

(I wish 90% of the SNL celebrity jeopardy clips weren't take off YouTube).
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 11:58:59 AM »

@singlebanana: I am the terror that flaps in the night.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 12:06:18 PM »

You guys may be right, but I'll never Tale.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 01:53:09 PM »

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=38801

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 02:07:53 PM »

You may be on to something there detective! Find out in the front page news tomorrow. Same ..... time. Same .... channel.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 04:54:16 PM »

Ooh, this might make me pick up this game on the Switch...

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 08:13:03 AM »

Bumped for game announcement. Smiley

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 08:56:41 AM »

I'm in! Have this on the Switch and I can get some good time in on the plane to RWX.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 10:30:31 AM »

I'm in, I wanted to play this one

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 06:51:20 AM »

Cannot wait for this!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 02:10:14 PM »

Checkpoints are up. Let the games begin!

I did episode one I don't want to go too far ahead but I like what I've played so far.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 04:53:12 PM »

Should be able to do the first chapter either today or tomorrow. Pretty pumped for this one. I love me some Batman and I've heard from a friend that this is one of his favorite interpretations of Bruce Wayne so my hype level is high!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 02:12:55 PM »

Ok let's see what I can get out without digging into the story quite yet.

I'm a huge Batman fan and I love seeing new takes on old characters and themes in the series. I know it's not super important to the overall game, but I absolutely LOVE the intro logo. The few images of Batman from different eras combining into the Bat Symbol that get filled out with Gotham and then having that Animated Series style font underneath really gave me a bit of confidence that what was to follow was going to be good solid Batman.

Telltale games always look pretty good. I like their art style regardless of the series they are representing, but I think it may look best for Batman. Those thick black lines over top of the dulled cell shaded kind of colors really works for me. Makes everything, characters and setting, really pop and even when there are bright vibrant colors like Bruce's Lamborghini they have a darkness to them. And when things get visually dark like they tend to do in Batman stories it's just a natural fit. In almost every interpretation of Batman I've seen whether it be comic, cartoon or movie the first impression really sets the stage and can have a big impact on how I feel about the character. The first good look you get at him when he is about to grapple across to the 52nd story of City Hall (really? that's a huge city hall) really imprints a solid image of how Batman is going to feel in this game going forward. I love it. The grappling hook looks huge and bad ass and having his whole face shadowed with his eyes piercing through the darkness is how I love my Batman.

Other than the look I'm very happy with how the entire opening plays out. It starts dark with the security guard getting shot in the head setting the stage for how violent this game may end up being. Batman stalking and taking down each armed assailant separately was perfect. Having the one guard dragged off screen in front of one of his comrades followed by the guy in the chair disappearing straight up to the roof to culminate in their leader seeing all of his associates hanging unconscious from the ceiling makes for a very intimidating Batman.

As for the style of specific characters in this game I'm a bit more torn. They nailed Batman and Bruce Wayne in my opinion. The heavily armored Batman isn't my favorite take on the character, but he looks damn good here and the dark haired broad shouldered Bruce is among my favorite styles of that character. Catwoman/Selina both look great. I'm typically used to Bruce being a very intimidating presence regardless of the Batman suit when put next to most other characters (with some obvious exceptions like Croc, Clayface, or Bane) so it's quite a bit jarring to see him look positively minuscule next to Harvey Dent who is built like a football player. I'm also used to Harvey being more classically handsome rather than the contemporary look they went for. I'm not opposed to it yet it's just startling. Very intrigued what a Two-Face of that size is going to be like if/when they get to that point. Gordon is also fairly huge, but I kind of like it in his case. I really don't like the look of Alfred though, but I'm not quite sure why. Something seems off to me and I'm hoping he grows on me at some point. I like what they are doing with Vicki Vale and Jack Ryder so far. They both seem like actual people. Lots of times they tend to be hyper exaggerated versions of their real life professions and that does't feel like the case here. Cobblepot is a big question mark so far. Very drastically different take on the character, but I haven't seen enough yet to decide if I like it or dislike it yet. I'm open to it at this point and kind of like Harvey I'm intrigued to see how he develops at his assumedly villainous side takes over. I'm a big fan of the Batmobile so far too. Without spoiling anything for those that havn't seen it yet it was a pretty cool introduction I thought and a neat concept. The one thing across all characters that is a bit odd is the walking animation. It's almost like their bodies don't move enough in comparison to their limbs. Arms and legs seem to move almost independent of the body. Not super noticeable when it's Batman/Catwoman/Armored Thug it's more odd when it's Bruce Wayne/Harvey Dent just walking across a room.

Having just come off of Beyond Two Souls with you guys and having some pretty cool discussions about the fighting mechanics in that game I was eager to see how they did in in this game where you should typically be in a commanding control of the situation. I like it so far. Haven't had to combat with anyone who is truly a match in a fight so far and it's been nice to not miss any inputs and that's really set me up to feel like I'm actually playing as Batman. Curious if they will make things harder if fighting a character that is more of a physical match for Batman in later chapters though. I'm sure there is an argument to be made that it's not challenging or "game-y" enough, but for me it fits the situation.

Batman isn't Batman without his precious gadgets and we got some great versions of the classics as well as one fairly new one that suits the character and time this seems to be set in quite well. I love the massive size of his grappling hook. The Baterangs and smoke bombs have a more simple/classic feel to them. The drone initially seemed like a boring/obvious addition, but as soon as I got to use it I changed my mind immediately. Very cool new addition and it has incredible functionality that I'll wait to discuss more until we start digging into plot points later on. The "Bat-Voice" is also pretty good. Troy Baker does a great take on Bruce Wayne's voice, but I especially love him with the Batman voice turned on. Pretty great.

The Batman Arkham games had a pretty great detective mode to live up to and while this one is quite simplified in comparison I still really enjoyed it. Finding clues and figuring out which ones to link together in order to replay the crimes as they happened is very cool. It's the first chapter so it was painfully obvious/simple, I hope they ramp of the puzzle of it in later chapters, but even if they don't I had fun piecing it together.

The dialogue works just as well as it had in every previous Telltale game. It still works so didn't need a big overhaul for Batman. I do love that they have given you the option to just use silence as a response to everything though. It may seem lame, but I probably used it for half of my responses throughout the chapter and loved it. When Batman talks I feel like it should have impact as well as he doesn't like to reveal more than he has to so I only really used it to try and intimidate enemies or get information from them. As Bruce I didn't use it nearly as much and tried to be much more thoughtful and political with my responses (which we can dig into much more when we start talking story).

As a long time Batman fan I typically find that having crime bosses like Falcone as your antagonist some of the least interesting stories. That said I like they twist they are taking on some of the classic Batman lore to make me care quite a bit more about the organized crime angle. It was a solid first chapter overall, but I think it did a great job of getting me excited for what's to come and I hope it keeps trying new things with established characters/tropes from the series because there were far more likable things than unlikable things so far.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:16:21 PM by Crabmaster2000 » Logged

zophar53
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 08:38:12 AM »

Count me in for this one! Got it through PS+ a while back and haven't found the time for it. Labor Day is a great time to start a new game.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length