RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:32:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | October 2018 Shmup Club - 1942 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: October 2018 Shmup Club - 1942  (Read 23224 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: September 11, 2018, 09:17:16 AM »

The year? 1942. The place? Over the Pacific Ocean. Destination? Tokyo. You are a pilot in the US Air Force. Your mission? Reach the Japanese airbase and eliminate their fleet. Are you up to the challenge? Can you prevent further destruction to US forces?

1942 was developed by Capcom, and released in 1984, by Capcom themselves in some regions, and by both Midway and Romstar in North America. It's among the earliest vertical scrolling shoot-em-up games, and one that helped establish the formula that would be the standard through the 1980's. Despite being eclipsed 3 short years later by its successor, 1943: The Battle of Midway, 1942 still stands as an important game in the genre. Whereas nearly all shooting games up to this point had focused on space flight or combat, Capcom's 1942 was the first to focus on more real, down-to-earth warfare, with planes instead of spacecraft. Also, it was a bold move for a Japanese developer, as it plays from the perspective of an American fighter pilot, in pursuit of Japanese pilots, and ultimately, leading to the destruction of the Japanese air fleet.

1942 was ported and converted to a number of different systems. It was an early release for the Famicom and NES, and appeared on Nintendo's Game Boy Color a number of years later. Several microcomputers received versions: the MSX, PC-8801, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, and Commodore 64, with the last one receiving a custom soundtrack. Other notable versions include a conversion for the Windows Mobile platform. The game was part of the Capcom Generations series, showing up in volume 1 on the Sega Saturn, and in the collection on PlayStation, though only in Japan, in both instances. It's also included in several iterations of the Capcom Classics Collection releases on PlayStation 2, Xbox, and PSP. And finally, the arcade version was even available on the Wii virtual console.

Participants
MetalFRO
Addicted
EZ Racer
Duke.Togo
Bickman2k
Normatron
Dingo
Square_Air
Nupoile
Deadman
Crabmaster2000

High Scores per Port/Conversion/Version
NES:
Game Boy Color:
PS2:
Xbox:
PSP:
Commodore 64:
Wii VC:
Arcade:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 08:59:13 AM by MetalFRO » Logged

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 11:16:00 AM »

I'm in of course.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 08:18:12 PM »

I'll be on NES
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 08:32:35 PM »

Count me in. Hopefully I can track this down for the C64 and give that a try.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 08:46:54 AM »

Welcome aboard, gents! Thanks for jumping in. @Duke.Togo - I look forward to hearing your impressions of the C64 version!

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 12:04:59 PM »

I'll try to play this one on NES. Possibly MAME as well.

Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 07:35:29 PM »

I'm going to try it out, playing it on ps3 capcom collection
Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 07:35:52 PM »

Ps2 collection
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 12:30:57 PM »

Welcome aboard, Normatron, and welcome to RF Generation!

Dingo
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 12:48:40 PM »

Officially here to enter the Fray!

"M.e. I eat dust."
Instagram: www.instagram.com/andrewoxt

Twitch: twitch.tv/dingo__
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 12:52:32 PM »

Welcome aboard, Dingo!

Square_Air
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 10:22:09 AM »

I'm back again for this one. Unfortunately my monitor doesn't seem to be working well, but I have ways around that this month. My vote was for Xevious, and I would have preferred Deathsmiles, but 1942 is decent. This is one very loooong game though, so i'm not sure if I'll clear this since I might die of old age before the end ever comes.

My favourite quote about 1942 comes from Perikles in which he says "Few people know this number was chosen since this is both the year of development as well as the number of stages in this game, meaning it was a rather practical choice!"
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »

Welcome aboard, Square_Air, glad to see you're participating again. And yes, 1942 is super long, though the stages themselves are relatively short. Howlongtobeat.com has it listed at 2 hours to beat, and I'd believe that. It might just be the longest finite-length shooter out there, in terms of a single first loop. We'll definitely get to Xevious and Deathsmiles at some point. I literally just got my Deathsmiles LE package for Xbox 360 in the mail a week and a half ago, so I'm prepared for it whenever we decide to go there.

I'm a little unclear about the Perikles quote - with 32 stages, I'm not sure how that lines up with 1984 (when it released).

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 05:54:24 PM »

So I started playing and got on a pretty good run. Hope it's not considered cheating but had to take a few pause breaks (NES without using a turbo controller), and I muted the TV. Also realized Silver Surfer's soundtrack fits pretty well with 1942.

* 20181001_173729.jpg (1023.48 KB, 2560x1440 - viewed 421 times.)
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 10:12:11 PM »

I keep forgetting to post here that I am also in!

Now I'm just hoping for time to actually play it and chat about it.....

Also, don't be surprised if my scores are really low, shmups are pretty hard for me.

Oh, and I like your tv EZ Racer, I have 3 of them myself  Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length