RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:12:51 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | 1292 Advanced Programmable Video System ~VS~ Interton VC 4000 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1292 Advanced Programmable Video System ~VS~ Interton VC 4000  (Read 2998 times)
Goodwill_Gamer
Tiger Gizmondo

United States

Stats
« on: October 25, 2018, 01:49:27 AM »

I recently picked up a Hanimex 1392 Advanced Programmable Video System, a cartridge based game system from Australia that came out in 1979. 

Pic: https://i.imgur.com/cwE5x5T.jpg

Of course I jumped on RFG to add it to my collection and found it is not in the database.   This led to me falling down a sizable Google research hole.   As it turns out the Hanimex 1392 is a very close relative of the Interton VC 4000, but uses different cartridges. 

Another interesting point that came out of this researching is that apparently Radofin licensed the design to lots of other companies resulting in loads of 1292/1392 consoles.  Fun fact Radofin also designed the computer that became the Mattel Aquarius! (The fact that Radofin has designed other calculators/game systems/computers lends credence to them being the design originators.  Though I would say it appears to be a point of contention and not truly known as there are a myriad of different release dates and claims scattered across the internet.)

Wikipedia has a nice compatibility chart, but the rest of the article is a mess.   
https://en.wikipedia.org/..._System#Released_versions

As is the case with the wikipedia article information on these consoles around the web is very convoluted and no two sites seem to agree on everything.
This makes it difficult to decide how to proceed with getting this thing added to the database.

Based on my research there appears to be two reasonable options:

1. Expand the Interton VC4000 console category to include Australia (currently appears to be Europe and sub regions only).  This option brings up a question of naming as well.  Is the VC4000 the best name for this group of consoles?

2. Add a new Category 1292 Advanced Programmable Video System  (or maybe Radofin 1292/1392)

Arguments for a new console category 1292 Advanced Programmable Video System:
1. The consoles are not hardware compatible. (Different cartridge form-factor and PCB)
2. Different published games and cartridge numbering.  (Cart 1 is Racing vs Cart 1 is Olympics)
3. 1292/1392 is at least 14 100% cross-compatible consoles from different manufacturers (a very big group) VC 4000 is a group of at least 4 cross-compatible consoles.

Arguments for expanding the regions for the Interton VC4000 to include Australia:
1.  Consoles use the same CPU/Video chip  (software cross-compatibility only, but different carts)
2.  Consoles use the same controllers (14 button + analog joystick)

What do people think?  Points? Counter Points?
RobotWillie
Don't You Know Blackmail is Way Uncool
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 04:00:45 AM »

I will say the same controller bit should not be a factor in this. After all you can plug a Sega Genesis controller into an Atari and they are not even the same generation. I would think the fact it has different carts would qualify it as a separate thing. Besides the fact in my opinion of eliminating the controller as a factor that would leave 1 reason to expand on the existing entries to the 3 reasons to add its own.

Also we are talking a total different cart input. It isn't just a region difference as with Nintendo made consoles many of them had a bracket like metal bar in them and all that has to be done is remove it to play the carts from other regions. This is not something you could remove and bypass the cart not fitting. You would have to replace the whole cart assembly to match another one.

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 08:49:20 AM »

Very interesting piece of hardware. The controller looks almost like a Wico Command Control stick for ColecoVision, but with the main action buttons on the face, instead of the side. I suspect it's more comfortable to hold and use, even. I'd be curious to see one in action.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 09:35:50 PM »

In my mind, if the systems are hardware clones/100% software compatible, it will go in with the Interton. Different cartridge form factors don't matter, nor do controllers. Examples are the NES/Famicom, Mark III/SMS.

Goodwill_Gamer
Tiger Gizmondo

United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 12:42:53 AM »

Also we are talking a total different cart input. It isn't just a region difference as with Nintendo made consoles many of them had a bracket like metal bar in them and all that has to be done is remove it to play the carts from other regions. This is not something you could remove and bypass the cart not fitting. You would have to replace the whole cart assembly to match another one.

It's more of a NES/Famicom or Turbogtrafx16/PC Engine type of difference.  The carts are different sizes and the pin connectors are different as well, but the software is cross compatible.  The systems do have different games though, both in terms of quantity and in cart number and name.  You would need to make an adapter to use one on the other console. 

I'd be curious to see one in action.

Me too, I need to get a step-up transformer though as it only runs on 240v and I've only got 110v.  Theoretically my TV should be able to handle the PAL input, but we'll see!  If/When i get the thing up and running I might throw together a quick video.

In my mind, if the systems are hardware clones/100% software compatible, it will go in with the Interton. Different cartridge form factors don't matter, nor do controllers. Examples are the NES/Famicom, Mark III/SMS.

I can get behind that logic.
If we put it with the Interton VC 4000 then the Australia region will need to be enabled for that console category.  Once done I can add the system and games followed by images.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 08:14:59 PM »

Australia has been added as a region for the Interton VC 4000.

Goodwill_Gamer
Tiger Gizmondo

United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 12:48:34 AM »

Australia has been added as a region for the Interton VC 4000.

Excellent.  Adding the console and games now.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length