RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:45:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | PSA: Windows 10 in S Mode 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PSA: Windows 10 in S Mode  (Read 1833 times)
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« on: November 07, 2018, 05:24:05 PM »

I know this isn't the right place for this but this forum gets a lot more traffic and I think this PSA is important. I'm reposting what I just shared on Facebook.

Anyone looking at buying a new Windows PC, whether laptop or desktop, should avoid S Mode. It's a new version of Windows 10 that might be labelled as "Windows 10 Home in S Mode", if it's advertised at all (I haven't seen any for sale yet myself to say how it's marketed). This PSA doesn't apply to all versions of Windows 10, only those marked S Mode.

S Mode severely restricts what you can do with the computer by only allowing apps from the Microsoft Store. This means you're stuck with Microsoft Edge (aka Internet Explorer), any apps you use for work or school probably won't work (unless they're on the Microsoft Store), and even antivirus is limited to the built-in Windows Defender! Not to mention devices that require third party software to run are likely to have limited functionality, if they work at all.

It can be disabled (which can't be undone), but it's not worth the trouble. Make sure to ask first before buying to make sure you're not getting an S Mode version of Windows 10.

More info:

https://support.microsoft.../windows-10-in-s-mode-faq
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 05:30:50 PM by techwizard » Logged
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 10:21:49 AM »

This is good information, and obviously will matter to PC gamers who use services like Steam, GOG, itch.io, etc. Thanks for the heads up.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length