RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:20:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | January 2019 Shmup Club - Lightening Force aka Thunder Force IV 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: January 2019 Shmup Club - Lightening Force aka Thunder Force IV  (Read 22390 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: December 06, 2018, 03:01:38 PM »

Get ready for January, because we're kicking Shmup Club into high gear, with one of the most highly regarded shoot-em-ups of the 16-bit era! Techno Soft had already established themselves as a player on Sega's 16-bit console at launch, with Thunder Force II, and followed that up just a year later with the much improved Thunder Force III. Fans would have to wait two more years, however, for the sequel, but it was worth the wait! When Thunder Force IV dropped in Japan, it was well received, and set a new standard for technical excellence on the Mega Drive. When it hit North American shores, it was renamed Lightening Force: Quest For the Darkstar, possibly due to licensing reasons. Regardless of the name, it's among the elite shmups on the system, alongside M.U.S.H.A., and a handful of other top-tier games.

Join the RF Generation Shmup Club, as we dig into this classic! Thunder Force IV is available for the Sega Mega Drive in both NTSC-J and PAL flavors, and the North American release of Lightening Force is an option as well. The game made an appearance on the Japan-only Thunder Force Gold Pack 2, in a slightly modified form, that both eliminated some slowdown from the game, and also added in the option to play through the entire game using Thunder Force III's ship, the Fire LEO-03 "Styx" vessel. This adds additional playability to the game, and changes up the mechanics somewhat. Fast forward to 2018, and now the Sega Ages line is beginning to appear on the Nintendo Switch, and both the Japanese and international versions of Thunder Force IV are included, along with the added Saturn functionality. There are plenty of ways to enjoy this amazing game, and all that it has to offer, so sign up on the forum thread today!

For scoring, since there are differences between the Japanese and international versions of the original game, please specify which you're playing when you post scores. Also, the Nintendo Switch port by M2 includes both the Japanese and international releases, please specify on that as well. Also, if you're playing either the Saturn or Switch versions, and playing as the FIRE-LEO Styx ship from Thunder Force III, also please specify that, so we can keep scores separate, and recognize everyone putting in the effort.

PARTICIPANTS:
MetalFRO
Addicted
Crabmaster2000
lordb0rb4
EZ Racer
retroshmuper
Golem
Douglie007

HIGH SCORES
Sega Genesis:
Japanese Mega Drive:
Sega Saturn:
Nintendo Switch:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 11:37:05 AM by MetalFRO » Logged

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 03:34:53 PM »

Oh baby!! I'm probably in for this one

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
lordb0rb4
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 08:28:19 PM »

Lightning Force?Huh
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 01:22:55 PM »

Lightning Force?Huh

Right you are!

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 02:22:14 PM »

Yup. I'm in

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 03:22:43 PM »

Yup. I'm in

Welcome aboard, good sir!

lordb0rb4
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 04:23:03 AM »

I'm in as well, another one i've never experienced.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 09:33:51 AM »

I'm in as well, another one i've never experienced.

Glad to have you back for another month!

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »

I'm in on Genesis
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 07:46:15 PM »

I'm in on Genesis

Welcome to the fight, dude!

Retroshmuper
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 05:31:30 PM »

Count me in on this. I never submitted a Steel Empire score but enjoyed playing it, although I only got a few games in. Think I’ll start MD/Genesis for this. My favourite game of the series was 3 but more than happy to get reacquainted with this. Great choice 👍

Trying to chain my way through life 👾
@retroshmuper
https://twitter.com/retroshmuper
Co Host of the RGDS Podcast
@RGDSpodcast
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 11:37:44 AM »

Count me in on this. I never submitted a Steel Empire score but enjoyed playing it, although I only got a few games in. Think I’ll start MD/Genesis for this. My favourite game of the series was 3 but more than happy to get reacquainted with this. Great choice 👍

Great to have you in for January!

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 09:08:37 PM »

Get hyped!

Golem
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 04:51:19 PM »

Nice, will have to check out the video.

My friend gave me some pointers, resulting in: https://mobile.twitter.co...tatus/1079490677170262017

Does the shmup club have.a hash tag?

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 07:59:09 PM »

Nice, will have to check out the video.

My friend gave me some pointers, resulting in: https://mobile.twitter.co...tatus/1079490677170262017

Does the shmup club have.a hash tag?

I haven't done a has tag yet, though I follow the @rfgeneration account on Twitter, and often tag that for a retweet. I am using #rfgeneration when posting my pics to Imgur to repost here. Got any suggestions for a good hashtag?

#rfgenshmupclub maybe?
Or #rfgshmupclub perhaps?

Also - great score! I was playing on Switch earlier, and I'm definitely out of practice! I need to get better, though I started playing the Japanese original, which is harder, and I grew up playing the Genesis version, which definitely takes it easier on the player. And, I went ahead and followed you on Twitter from both my @GameBoyGuru and @shootcorecast podcast accounts. I would definitely suggest following the @RFGeneration account, tag it in posts like that, and also use #shmups and/or #STG, and there are a couple shmup-related accounts that are likely to retweet your posts with those tags, which should help spread the word and get engagement out there. Good to have you on board again this month, dude!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length