RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:58:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGeneration NES Challenge 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: RFGeneration NES Challenge  (Read 14554 times)
bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2018, 02:29:36 PM »

Question about emulation... For options like the Switch NES service or the NES Classic, is it acceptable to use a save state where a continue would get you normally for games, such as Ninja Gaiden or Ghosts N Goblisn, with unlimited continues? Not talking about mid-stage save states.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »

Question about emulation... For options like the Switch NES service or the NES Classic, is it acceptable to use a save state where a continue would get you normally for games, such as Ninja Gaiden or Ghosts N Goblisn, with unlimited continues? Not talking about mid-stage save states.

I would like to say no using save states in such a manor, but leaving a system on standby would be equivalent to leaving your NES on so that would be acceptable. Save states would be fine for something like Castlevania 3 in leiu of writing down a password as long as it's used on the password screen. For games like you mentioned I feel like the intention is to play them in one sitting and even though you could leave your system on indefinitely save states kind of corrupts that.

I'm not set in stone on that though. What's everybody else's thoughts?

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2018, 03:47:32 PM »

I would like to say no using save states in such a manor, but leaving a system on standby would be equivalent to leaving your NES on so that would be acceptable. Save states would be fine for something like Castlevania 3 in leiu of writing down a password as long as it's used on the password screen. For games like you mentioned I feel like the intention is to play them in one sitting and even though you could leave your system on indefinitely save states kind of corrupts that.

]

My opinion with this would be the same as yours (Crabby) and Rich's with using controllers with turbo and slo-mo functionality: Since this is really just for fun (and everything we do has to be on the honor system), we should treat it as such.  Personally, I am not against it as long as it is used in lieu of a "sleep" or "standby" function on a handheld (when one needs to take extended spaces of time away from the game for whatever reason).  I don't plan on using them, but that is also because I emulate on laptops, so if I need to run, I can just pause the emulator and sleep the laptop Wink

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2018, 06:40:32 PM »

I agree with, Crabby.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2018, 08:31:16 PM »

I don't see it as an issue using save stats. Like above, this is for fun.

Also in the main post can we have links to the other threads about this?

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2018, 04:09:45 AM »

I don't see it as an issue using save stats. Like above, this is for fun.

Also in the main post can we have links to the other threads about this?

It is for fun, but it's also a challenge to see if we can legit beat the NES library so I think that's why I see the save states as spoiling that intention because of course we can beat the entire library with a Game Genie or other outside exploits.

Feel free to link away!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2018, 08:09:02 AM »

How many people here have the Miracle Piano?

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2018, 08:12:42 AM »

Yeah that one is gonna be tricky. If we can get close enough I may be willing to purchase myself one to finish the challenge off.

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2018, 08:39:40 AM »

I’ve got one and all the parts other than the power lead. It’s a hell of a lot rarer over here in Britain though so I’ve been trying to piece it together from eBay auctions for a few years now
bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2018, 10:05:58 AM »

I have one. Need to see what parts I have for it though. I think I may have everything but the foot pedal, but I can look.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2018, 10:12:33 AM »

I have the Genesis one, I need to make an NES cord.  I will also look at the power block to see what you. Need

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length