RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:14:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | RFGen 2019 NES Challenge 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: RFGen 2019 NES Challenge  (Read 465489 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2019, 10:25:53 AM »

Finished 1942 - twice.  I tried the second time in an attempt to get the stupid "congratulation" and keep missing it, so the pic below is the best I could get (without trying for a third time). Hilariously enough I tried with my phone the first, and the second time tried to use the "screenshot" shortcut that Macs have (and failed).  The pic below was with the pic shortcut in OpenEmu (which is what I should have been using all along). Oh well.  I think I would like to claim Clash at Demonhead next.

Time to complete : ~ 1 hour 20 minutes (beat it twice)
Favored System : OpenEmu-EX on my Macbook (Nestopia emulator)
Favored Controller : retrolink NES USB
Notes : Not as bad as I remember, I think because I have mad nostalgia for the "jank" that this game has (in abundance).  It has bad hit detection (in your favor!), terribly monotonous music, and runs like an MSX game - And I love it!  Simple fun from a bygone era.

Where were you while we were playing this in the Shmup Club? Wink

Congrats on the completion! Not an easy game, that's for sure.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2019, 11:00:54 AM »

@Shaggy - Mystery Quest sounds a lot tougher than the cover would suggest. Thanks for taking on that challenge for us!

Oh my goodness, I just read you have to beat the game four times to get the true ending.  Do I have to seriously beat this game four times in one sitting?  laugh

Just looked it up to make sure, and yup you've gotta do 4 loops! If you want to back out and start working on a different game that's totally fine.

Nope, I've never played this game and I want to beat games I never played.  Because of time constraints, though, I may have to look up a guide but only when I don't know what the heck to do.  I want to try to beat it with no guide.  But maybe there is a Nintendo Power...

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2019, 11:13:26 AM »

I wish to undertake River City Ransom! I beat it in December, but for this, I will undertake it again...if I'm allowed to play it on the Kunio-kun Collection for Xbox One. I will not use Save States, only Passwords that are given in-game, and I will start fresh!

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2019, 11:42:33 AM »

@Shaggy - Mystery Quest sounds a lot tougher than the cover would suggest. Thanks for taking on that challenge for us!

Oh my goodness, I just read you have to beat the game four times to get the true ending.  Do I have to seriously beat this game four times in one sitting?  laugh

Just looked it up to make sure, and yup you've gotta do 4 loops! If you want to back out and start working on a different game that's totally fine.

Nope, I've never played this game and I want to beat games I never played.  Because of time constraints, though, I may have to look up a guide but only when I don't know what the heck to do.  I want to try to beat it with no guide.  But maybe there is a Nintendo Power...

OK, halfway done through the 1st play through.  Just got to the third castle.  No guide used yet!

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2019, 12:27:47 PM »

In the 4th castle now.  This may not be as bad as I originally thought because the 3rd and 4th castle are the same as the 1st and 2nd castle so I'm making better headway because of this.  I also read that the 2nd through 4th playthrough are the same as the 1st, just harder I think.  Hopefully, my muscle memory is working and I can breeze through the castles.

SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2019, 12:47:26 PM »

I wish to undertake River City Ransom! I beat it in December, but for this, I will undertake it again...if I'm allowed to play it on the Kunio-kun Collection for Xbox One. I will not use Save States, only Passwords that are given in-game, and I will start fresh!

We will probably have to get a ruling from Crabby on this Redd. Not sure if there are any differences in the NES and Xbox One game that you mentioned, so that will have to be looked into.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2019, 02:29:10 PM »

You'd probably know better than me Redd. All I know about the differences in versions is that the player and enemy sprites are changed in the two regions. Do you know if this affects gameplay (hit boxes for example)? Are there any different enemy types or areas between the two versions? As long as it's the same game with just the different sprites I'm totally cool with it, just not familiar enough to answer that myself.

@shaggy - so glad you didn't back down! That's the kind of effort we are all gonna have to show to get through this together!! Perseverance!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2019, 02:40:13 PM »

You'd probably know better than me Redd. All I know about the differences in versions is that the player and enemy sprites are changed in the two regions. Do you know if this affects gameplay (hit boxes for example)? Are there any different enemy types or areas between the two versions? As long as it's the same game with just the different sprites I'm totally cool with it, just not familiar enough to answer that myself.

@shaggy - so glad you didn't back down! That's the kind of effort we are all gonna have to show to get through this together!! Perseverance!!

Actually, the US Version is present on the collection, and while it has a "Quality Up" Mode that fixes bugs and such, it also has the "Original" Mode as well, which replicates the original NES release.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2019, 02:44:13 PM »

Actually, the US Version is present on the collection, and while it has a "Quality Up" Mode that fixes bugs and such, it also has the "Original" Mode as well, which replicates the original NES release.

That sounds perfect then. Baring some kind of catstrophic emulation issue I think you're good to go then. Try not to barf on everything!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2019, 05:41:38 PM »

Despite my hopes, looks like I won't get Vice: project Doom done before MAGfest.  I still want to keep it claimed, but the earliest I'll get it done is Sunday night.

While I am still very good at the early stages, the later ones are proving tough.  Probably because I haven't practiced them as much.  Vice is a tough game, and I'm not, perhaps, as skilled as others here.  I want to hold onto Vice, though, especially as other of my potential picks are gobbled up.  getting through it is important to me, as is the motivation of the NES Challenge to do it.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2019, 06:34:14 PM »

Is claiming a game mandatory? Or can I just post end screen pics without claiming prior?
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2019, 07:30:08 PM »

... TMNT 2 is harder than I remember, I played the arcade a lot and this is so much harder, I think I'm getting it.. I hope the next try is the last... Shredder got me with the quickness last game.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2019, 08:09:09 PM »

TMNT 2 is done, I'm picking on to play with the child so  Fisher-Price Firehouse Rescue is my next pick.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2019, 08:42:20 PM »

Tale Spin is complete. I will upload my screenshot as soon as I remember how I used to do it. Ha ha

I thought using Time Attack mode on the Disney Afternoon Collection would be a nice way for me to crank those titles out for the team, but I found out that preventing myself from being able to use the rewind feature to cheat created an exchange for a crappy screenshot. You guys will see when I post, but the time attack records just like speed-runner videos, and it freezes the screen on the final hit on the boss, instead of allowing the end credits to roll.

As far as the game itself goes, I loved it, and wish I could have experienced it as a child. The flying mechanics and the upgrade system between stages were awesome. Although to beat the game, I definitely had to make sure I collected all the funds I could during the first two or three stages to be able to afford the Rapid-fire upgrades ASAP. I am not great at platformers to begin with, and not having those upgrades for the back half of the game would have easily seen me burn through my lives and continues well before the final stage.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2019, 11:04:05 PM »

Is claiming a game mandatory? Or can I just post end screen pics without claiming prior?

No, it is not mandatory. We do it so that we don't double up games that people want to put some time into. Just a way to save effort. It will probably come in handy more as we dwindle this list down. Things like RPGs and the longer sports titles , we definitely do not want to double the effort and time on.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length