RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:52:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | RFGen 2019 NES Challenge 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: RFGen 2019 NES Challenge  (Read 468717 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2019, 04:17:07 PM »

@shaggy - Nice job persevering through Mystery Quest!

Freaking Wizardry!! I don't know if I've ever played such an unforgiving game. I thought I was going to finish it tonight and I got close as hell. Got to the last boss after navigating a few super confusing levels (one that had warps that sent you back to the beginning of the game Sad ). He killed my entire party which means.......I have to start the whole game over again!!! Hooray!! So back to square one for me unfortunately. Rerolled a new team in much less time at least and already started grinding up though so I shouldn't have to invest nearly as much time as my first attempt. I also switched up a few party members so to different types so I think I'll have a better chance at the boss next attempt.

EDIT: All claims and completions updated

Thanks a lot!  It actually wasn't too bad after the first playthrough.  Playthrough 2-4 are exactly like the first playthrough  so once you go through it once and have it memorized it is a breeze save for a few platforming deaths.  The highest score I got was 7,000,000 something but you could easily flip the score on this game if you run a flawless playthrough.  The thing with this game is the repetition.  This is one of those games that you have to play repeatedly night after night otherwise you will forget the maze of the castles.  It's all the same and gets tiresome pretty quickly.  I would say average score.

Doesn't Wizardy have a battery for saves?  Can't you load an old save?

Just found out that Phantom Fighter has a password system so that will save me from leaving the NES on overnight.

If you only had to do one run of Mystery Quest you think it would have been better?

Wizardry does have saved and you can save scum out of battles if you do it early enough. Unfortunately it also auto saves and I didn't reset out of the battle soon enough so my save had a dead party on the bottom floor Sad

I would have enjoyed it.  It was kind of mindless.  Having to beat it 4 times did drag on and on.  I would say I would like it a smidge better.

What is save scum out of battles?

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2019, 04:26:54 PM »

I can take on Shadowgate and Uninvited this month. I can stream my playthrough of both tomorrow morning at 5:30AM EST if anyone's around.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2019, 05:00:18 PM »

What is save scum out of battles?

Basically, saving mid-battle and if you get killed, restarting from the save point.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2019, 05:15:50 PM »

Promised proof, check Al Unser Jr. Turbo Racing off the list.

Also, have grinded my way through about half of chapter 2 on DW IV.

* 20190104_155158.jpg (835.13 KB, 2560x1440 - viewed 201 times.)
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2019, 06:46:43 PM »

Started up with Tombs and Treasures today. I thought it was going to be exactly like Shadowgate but it turns out it has combat in it and just not problem solving. The combat is kind of mindless but it does add an extra aspect to it. Puzzles have so far been fun.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2019, 07:26:19 PM »

I went ahead and polished off Castlevania. One of my all time favorite NES games. I tried to record a video, but it didn't record for some reason. It wasn't a very graceful run anyway, so no big loss.

[img width=700 height=525]https://i.imgur.com/mMqOhGA.jpg[/img]

shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2019, 09:14:13 PM »

Test run of Shadowgate to make sure I remembered the route ended in me beating the game.[img width=700 height=444]https://i.imgur.com/imzJrGw.png[/img]
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2019, 09:34:30 PM »

And same goes for Uninvited. [img width=700 height=444]https://i.imgur.com/ZGGtmvV.png[/img]
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2019, 09:51:25 PM »

Deja Vu next Shane?

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2019, 10:01:33 PM »

Well that was quick. Most of the puzzle solving was trial and error. You can get stuck in one part and will have to reset. Which happened to me. I basically had to start all the way over because I forgot to get my password to continue. These passwords on this game are incredibly long, so wasn't happy about that.

Since I already knew what to do I got back to where I was pretty quickly. I realized as well if you come across an enemy you can't beat its the game basically telling you that you still need to level up by solving other puzzles and beating other monsters first. On the last puzzle, the game basically tells you what to do. Ending was somewhat cinematic and wasn't just a congratulations screen.

Pretty cool game! Worth the playthrough. In the words of Joe Bob Briggs, "Check it Out"

On a side note, I would like to claim Willow. Been wanting to play this one for awhile and seems like a little bit of a longer game to get through.

[img width=700 height=525]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190105/da1c4c5b54b9eddabfa7c65d26a6ecc6.jpg[/img][img width=700 height=525]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190105/f6697b5480113fb0143f09b8a22362e7.jpg[/img]

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #145 on: January 04, 2019, 10:38:25 PM »

I decided to keep the vampire slaying going and polished off Castlevania II.

[img width=700 height=525]https://i.imgur.com/tMHCVnb.jpg[/img]

The haters can hate all they want, but this is a good game. It's been several years since I last played it, so I was ready to revisit this one. Playing it again, I realized just how nostalgic this game is for me, which is odd considering that I know I didn't play it very much as a kid. But the music, aesthetic, items, towns, and NPCs all feel so nostalgic.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2019, 10:47:05 PM »

I decided to keep the vampire slaying going and polished off Castlevania II.

[img width=700 height=525]https://i.imgur.com/tMHCVnb.jpg[/img]

The haters can hate all they want, but this is a good game. It's been several years since I last played it, so I was ready to revisit this one. Playing it again, I realized just how nostalgic this game is for me, which is odd considering that I know I didn't play it very much as a kid. But the music, aesthetic, items, towns, and NPCs all feel so nostalgic.
I agree, totally solid entry in the Castlevania series. The game stands on its own as a really fun game. I like how its so unlike any of the other castlevania games. Everything you said about I agree with. You know, I actually like the quirky things about the game that others hate about it.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2019, 11:11:15 PM »

Love Castlevania II as well!  What a horrible night to have a curse...and be on any dodge ball team opposing me. Dodge Ball down.

[img width=700 height=525]http://i.imgur.com/pY31VWj.jpg[/img]

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2019, 12:19:29 AM »

I went through 1942 (again!) and snapped the substandard ending pic for the game.  Submitted it in the db and replaced it with the other pic on page 4 of this thread.   Back to Clash at Demonhead...

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2019, 12:30:52 AM »

I'm gonna go ahead and scoop up this playthrough. Always fun to play the best 2D mario game.

[img width=700 height=554]https://i.imgur.com/YYLhkTj.jpg[/img]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length