RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:32:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | RFGen 2019 NES Challenge 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: RFGen 2019 NES Challenge  (Read 465733 times)
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #435 on: February 03, 2019, 01:26:51 PM »

Double Dragon II: The Revenge done.

This game doesn't get enough credit for how hard it is. There are a lot of cheap deaths if you don't master the platforming sections, and mastering the knee attack is mandatory for completing the game. I still love it though. Awesome game.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #436 on: February 03, 2019, 01:29:44 PM »

I didn't realize Battle of Olympus was going to require grinding for currency so often. I just spent 10 minutes fighting snakes at 78 of the 80 olives needed for a shield, and no olives were dropping. Turns out the game limits how many drops there are in a region. https://forum.speeddemosa.../battle_of_olympus26.html

Man Shane, I have such fond memories of this game as a kid and actually beat it when I was younger. I always find games where you have to grind a little bit relaxing in a strange way. I think a big part of my love for this game was my youthful obsession with the Greek gods. It's funny that you chose this game because the same day you did oh, I was going to claim it but saw you posted minutes earlier. Haha!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #437 on: February 03, 2019, 02:56:49 PM »

Beat King's Quest V. It was never a really good King's Quest game to begin with, and this is a bad port of the game. I've never played the Master System version, but if there's more time given to save the rat than this version it's already better.

BuriedOnMars
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #438 on: February 03, 2019, 03:07:58 PM »

Bionic Commando is done!  Man, that was a challenge.  I see someone is tackling Mega Man 5 so can do Rad Racer next.

* bionic commando done.jpg (316.37 KB, 2560x1440 - viewed 248 times.)

Check out my youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/buriedonmars
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #439 on: February 03, 2019, 03:20:56 PM »

Beat King's Quest V. It was never a really good King's Quest game to begin with, and this is a bad port of the game. I've never played the Master System version, but if there's more time given to save the rat than this version it's already better.

Yeah, the rat part really sticks out in my mind as well. I remember first playing it and not realizing what I missed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #440 on: February 03, 2019, 03:55:41 PM »

Updated to HERE

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #441 on: February 03, 2019, 05:45:54 PM »

Beat Battletoads & Double Dragon. A much better game than the first one. I played as a Battletoad. I thought I got a pretty respectable time, but looks like it's about twice as long as the slowest recorded speedrun. A lot of the bosses allow you to get a juggle combo in because they don't fly off of the screen like regular enemies, making a lot of the boss fights much easier than they should be. I was kind of expecting the last Double Dragon boss to be that guy with the machine gun from the first one, but it just ended up being some Mad Max looking character.

ApolloBoy
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #442 on: February 03, 2019, 07:47:01 PM »

Got Mega Man 5 out of the way! I was pretty rusty and died a few times during the fortress stages, but I persevered.

Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #443 on: February 04, 2019, 12:01:42 AM »

Just finished Snow Brothers. not as easy as I remember it but still fun.

* Snow Bros ending.jpg (2148.54 KB, 4032x2912 - viewed 260 times.)
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #444 on: February 04, 2019, 08:00:02 AM »

Finished a series of Base Wars. The novelty of a Blades of Steel-like fight when running to base wears off pretty quick when you realize that your health is determined based on how close you are to the next base and the opponent always has full health. Didn't do much in the way of customization, though I imagine that adds a degree of replay value where you can sort of RPG your way through playing with certain enhanced attributes.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #445 on: February 04, 2019, 08:25:42 AM »

Got Mega Man 5 out of the way! I was pretty rusty and died a few times during the fortress stages, but I persevered.

So awesome to have you participate with us!

King's Quest V is my favorite King's Quest game. The PC version is definitely superior to the NES port, but it has so much charm I've always loved it. And that wizard battle at the end is just great. The SMS King's Quest is a port of the first game in the series. Really the only King's Quest I don't love it 3.

I played a ton more Bases Loaded 4 and have 9 wins out of my 74 down now. I've watched an entire season of True Detective while playing and only have 9 freakin' wins. This is going way slower than I anticipated. I'm getting far better at the fielding though so I'm hoping I can improve me win rate throughout the week.

EDIT: All claims and completions up to date

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #446 on: February 04, 2019, 09:08:17 AM »

King's Quest V is my favorite King's Quest game. The PC version is definitely superior to the NES port, but it has so much charm I've always loved it. And that wizard battle at the end is just great. The SMS King's Quest is a port of the first game in the series. Really the only King's Quest I don't love it 3.

I played a ton more Bases Loaded 4 and have 9 wins out of my 74 down now. I've watched an entire season of True Detective while playing and only have 9 freakin' wins. This is going way slower than I anticipated. I'm getting far better at the fielding though so I'm hoping I can improve me win rate throughout the week.

Oh, for some reason I thought it was V that was on the SMS. I've always loved IV and VI, but V just felt like the Link's Awakening item trading as a whole game. I'm also not a huge fan of games where something you do or don't do earlier in the game prevents you from completing it later on. For this game, the first instance was saving the rat. The second was not feeding the leg of lamb to the eagle.

I hear you on the Bases Loaded slog. Same applied to Base Wars. I started that before Battle of Olympus, and took breaks after every game to do other things.
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #447 on: February 04, 2019, 12:13:49 PM »

Nintendo World Cup Soccer done. A fun, kind of quirky game that I can see being a blast to play multiplayer. The single player mode is good, but there is a massive difficulty spike near the end that I could see turning some people away.

* 20190204_105408.jpg (1182.01 KB, 2560x1440 - viewed 238 times.)
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #448 on: February 04, 2019, 12:27:16 PM »

I'm going to go ahead and pick Tecmo World Wrestling as my sports claim.

I'm also going to relinquish my claim on Final Fantasy in case anybody else wants to take a stab at it. I'm enjoying the game, but I haven't been playing it enough to warrant holding a claim on it. I might pick it back up in a couple of months if nobody else grabs it.

In its place, I want to claim Desert Commander. I had this game as a kid but was too young to really play it. It looks like a fun strategy game though, so I'd like to give it a proper try.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

ApolloBoy
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #449 on: February 04, 2019, 01:37:42 PM »

I'm going to claim Life Force as my next game.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length