RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:16:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | RFGen 2019 NES Challenge 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: RFGen 2019 NES Challenge  (Read 463954 times)
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #870 on: June 19, 2019, 07:07:33 PM »

Without a doubt Ikari Warriors III is the worst game I've played thus far, but at least it was short, and continues were unlimited and did not require a code (which was nice).  It seems to have more in common with interpretive dance than an NES game.  You have to rescue some kid, and waves of enemies will approach you whirling like tornadoes and dervishes, spinning and sliding like Olympic-class ice skaters.  I would not at all be surprised if this game were turned into a Broadway musical.  Speaking of music, it is the highlight of the game, and in some stages almost bears a resemblance to Crystalis.  Very nice, not so much the rest of the game.  Anyway:

There was a very short "Making Staff" credit sequence.  I like to think this was a lot of fun for the staff.  Important after making this game I imagine:

I need like a five minute break from bad games.  Also, I am running out of games I own to play and need to think some (and let my hands rest).

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #871 on: June 19, 2019, 08:18:26 PM »

Updated.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #872 on: June 19, 2019, 11:47:53 PM »

Well, since I am already playing SNK 40th Anniversary, I'll just go ahead and claim POW.

- Han Solo
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #873 on: June 20, 2019, 02:45:15 AM »

Claimed Games list needs updating
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #874 on: June 20, 2019, 08:48:18 AM »

Beat Little Samson. A very fun game that's a bit like an easy Mega Man. You get three other characters you can switch between, but I feel like you don't use them often enough, especially when it comes to boss fights. I never used the dragon or mouse for bosses, instead choosing the robot and running him out of health before switching to the main character. Would have loved to see a boss fight in a tunnel network for the mouse.

shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #875 on: June 20, 2019, 08:49:37 AM »

Going to try out Nightshade next, although that may not happen until Sunday as I'll be at TooManyGames this weekend.
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #876 on: June 20, 2019, 02:26:21 PM »

Gonna hop back in and try to get through Lethal Weapon.  Can't promise a video of the playthrough, as I'm just gonna focus on the game.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #877 on: June 20, 2019, 06:06:52 PM »

POW is in the bag.  Once you get used to all the enemy types the game is a cakewalk, although most of the time I would die at the boss before I learned their pattern.  But with unlimited continues it is more about making it through the stage with enough lives to finish it.

I was going to claim Iron Tank (due to it being one of the few games left on the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection), but I couldn't help but notice this game is crazy hard!  I watched a video and it requires some mad turret turning skills (which I do not have).  I'm going on vaca for the weekend with no video games (good or bad), so I will figure the rest out next week.

Have a good weekend y'all!

- Han Solo
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #878 on: June 20, 2019, 09:01:34 PM »

Updated.

Claimed Games list needs updating

Think I've cleaned it up.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #879 on: June 23, 2019, 05:01:38 PM »

Okay, I am back and will go ahead and claim Iron Tank.  I practiced a bit and can get farther.  Ikari Warriors is a different story.  Frankly, I don't know how people beat this game without cheating.  I can beat it using the "rewind" feature in the SNK 40th Anniversary, but it still took me over two and a half hours to do it!  I had it in my head to take a strong stab at it while I was chilling in Traverse City on vaca, but upon getting home I realized it just wasn't going to happen.  Sorry guys!

- Han Solo
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #880 on: June 23, 2019, 05:32:29 PM »

@bombatomba- Good luck with Iron Tank. I've taken it out a few times since the challenge started and couldn't get anywhere with it. Good to hear someone's cutting into it.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #881 on: June 24, 2019, 07:47:21 AM »

I'm back home and back to playing NES again! Looks like you guys were crossing titles off left and right while I was gone! I was hoping to beat more than 2 tonight, but I got stuck on Cybernoid longer than I was hoping. Regardless of that I beat Cybernoid and Cyberball tonight. Cybernoid was alright. Super short and could have used some more levels, but it was cool to have to mess around with all the different types of secondary weapons (all of which were useful depending on the enemy type) and learn the "puzzle" to each screen.

Cyberball was a crappy football game with robots. There was a weird overheating mechanic where if you didn't make a certain distance in a few turns the ball would explode and destroy your player. It was a very lame game.

Not sure what happened with this screen for Cybernoid. The whole video I captured is fine except for the end screen is super distored.

There is no end screen for Cyberball so here is my final scoreboard. I'm Blue Crush

Thanks to Duke for keeping things up to date for me while I was away!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #882 on: June 24, 2019, 08:11:39 AM »

Congrats on finishing Cybernoid, Crabby! That's not an easy game. I bought a CIB copy back in 2004 or 2005 for $5, and on a whim, I tried playing through it. It's one of those games I bought, beat, and sits on my shelf, content to not get played again, because it just wasn't that much fun.

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #883 on: June 24, 2019, 02:50:17 PM »

Took waaaaaaayyyyyy longer than I expected going in, but NES Open Tournament Golf is done. I played it a lot as a kid, but I had never played it to the million dollar completion. It was fun revisiting it, and while not without a few flaws, one of the best sports titles on the NES.

* 20190624_143130.jpg (955.58 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 173 times.)

* 20190624_143234.jpg (693.02 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 177 times.)
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #884 on: June 24, 2019, 03:25:53 PM »

Took waaaaaaayyyyyy longer than I expected going in, but NES Open Tournament Golf is done. I played it a lot as a kid, but I had never played it to the million dollar completion. It was fun revisiting it, and while not without a few flaws, one of the best sports titles on the NES.

Congrats dude!  I tried to play this game back in the day and I remember it being a struggle just to get to a tenth of that score, so I can only imagine how long the road to $1,000,000 was.

Iron Tank is, without a doubt, one of the most demanding games I have played on the system.  What I originally thought to be bad game design has since revealed to be extreme skill-based gameplay, and one that I think qualifies this game as a hidden gem (perhaps only due to my naivety about the game to begin with).  You have to really be on top of moving the tank and the turret very quickly in order survive.  I still stink at it, but I am getting better.  This is the only spot where the Switch Joycons have failed me, as the "four button" arrangement (in lieu of a crosspad) tends to dig into my thumbs terribly.  I had small marks on my left thumb the other day from trying to play Ikari Warriors.

On that note I have been using my SN30 Pro to play on my Switch, but having to get it down on a flat surface is bumming me out (despite the hand cramps, I really love playing like any other handheld).  I have been looking at one of those Hori D-pad Controllers (looks like a left Joycon but with a D-pad).  Have any of you had experience with one of those?  Right now it's twenty bucks that could go to another game, but I thought to ask anyway.

- Han Solo
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length