RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:08:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | April 2019 Shmup Club - Einhander 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: April 2019 Shmup Club - Einhander  (Read 20547 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 08:47:02 AM »

Is it too late to join in?

Einhander is one of those games I've always wanted to dig in and play, but it tends to go forgotten or falls by the wayside to something else. I usually play more for survival and shooting for 1CC's, so I suspect the scoring mechanics with the multiplier bar will give me some trouble haha. It feels like that definitely favors being very aggressive.

It's never too late! Welcome aboard, and we're glad to have you.

I managed to hit this score last night:

I've only managed to make it to Stage 2 or 3 on a single credit. Usually 2, and occasionally, I don't even make it out of the 1st stage, because I get sniped by one of those ships carrying the Cannon weapon, or I take a stray bullet while I'm dodging. Last night while streaming the game, I ran into enemies a few times, because I was moving around the screen too fast. I keep forgetting I can adjust my ship speed, so I need to remember that I can do that. One of my big hangups in the game is the switching out of weapons in the heat of the moment, and then sometimes having to change the orientation of a particular gunpod. It seems like, as I'm taking time to get my weapon situation figured out, that's when I get punked by an enemy, or caught by a stray bullet. If there's one thing I'd like to change about the game at this point, it's to have the option to NOT change to the weapon I just picked up, so I can continue to use the one I've already had selected. It's maddening to pick up a weapon, and immediately have to change it's position, or switch back to a different weapon, when you're being swarmed by enemies, or caught in the crossfire. Memorization of enemy locations and patterns will help alleviate that somewhat, but there's enough direct targeting of bullets in your direction, which means there's only so much you can do to compensate. It certainly adds to the challenge.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 09:47:48 AM »

I've found that the Danmaku strategy of point blanking enemies goes a long way for mid-bosses and end-stage bosses. Vulcan + machine gun works well for the stage 2 mid-boss. For the boss of stage 2, you want to get right up in its face as soon as you can do damage then back off and destroy the bottom gun. From there destroy the top flame thrower and then throw all your might at the face until its dead. I should clarify that for the stage 2 mid-boss you want to position yourself so the Vulcan damages the gun on the right side. If done right you should be able to destroy the right gun right before it gets ready to jump and force it to retreat.

@MetalFRO: I've died a couple of times on stage 1 when I'm trying to pick up a weapon and I collide with a police car. It's hard to tell from the constantly changing point of view.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 10:45:28 AM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 11:35:55 PM »

New high score achieved on stream tonight!

Unfortunately, I can reach Stage 4, but I always get wrecked when I get there. So many enemies, and so many bullets to weave through.

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 02:25:08 PM »

Played a few runs this week, but couldn't get past the Stage 2 Boss yet (on one credit).

TOB
coin_tengoku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 05:36:24 PM »

I hate to say it @zoydo, but I’m kinda pleased that you are running into challenges since you pretty much took the cake with Crimzon Clover. I’m sure you will overcome. If you run into things that are tricky, please give us some tips dude!  Good gaming....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The overwhelming trait of a leader is identifying pathways over, around, through and under all barriers presented.
zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2019, 07:46:35 AM »

I hate to say it @zoydo, but I’m kinda pleased that you are running into challenges since you pretty much took the cake with Crimzon Clover.

that's fine. Cheesy

I have to admit, that i have quite a tough time playing Einhänder. I often do not see the bullets because of enemies or explosions and i really struggle to differentiate if the enemies that are coming in are still in the background or already at the same level as my ship, so sometimes i just crash into them. I always liked the game but find it hard to keep a clear view of what's going on.

I tried out every ship now, to see what suits best for me. I prefer the Endymion-2 because it's useful to have some stock weapons to choose from, depending on the situation (the stage 2 midboss is no match for the grenade launcher).

Finally made it to Stage 3 today and also passed the 2.000.000 pts.

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2019, 03:49:11 PM »

This is one of the marks against the game, in that, some bullets are hard to see, because they blend in with scenery, or there's enough going on that you might miss one in all the action. I had that happen several times with the small blue bullets that many enemies shoot out. I also sometimes misjudge when an enemy has been damaged enough to where I can steal its weapon - always wait for the weapon name to show up on screen...ALWAYS. Or, like me, you'll end up on the scrap heap slick

My other frustration is that the game always switches the active weapon(s) to whatever you've picked up. I wish Squaresoft made that an option you could toggle, to not switch weapons if you pick up something different, or rather, to allow you to pick up something and have it replace another gunpod, rather than the active one. I understand why they do, and it stands as one of the challenges in the game, managing your weapon loadout. But it's still a bit of a pet peeve.

coin_tengoku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2019, 06:52:01 PM »

What BS. I got to stage four after a week of practicing not worrying about score and boss killed me. Then got no score saved because you have to freakin create a data file first. I was never asked to create a data file before starting. Son of a biscuit!  Oh!!! This game!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The overwhelming trait of a leader is identifying pathways over, around, through and under all barriers presented.
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2019, 08:57:43 PM »

So I've been focusing on getting the perfect level runs, and I've been stuck trying to even figure out the first level.

I'm sure you may have run across an S.Bonus in the game at some point. I found 2 in the first level but there were 3 spots. I finally found the 3rd S.Bonus in the first level and it took me down an alternate path to the boss. I had no idea this existed.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 10:48:44 PM »

i was wondering about the differences between the japanese version and the us-version a few days ago.
A friend sent me this link to a faq:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot...97217-einhander/faqs/6809

The changes are not groundbreaking, but it's interesting to read.

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2019, 08:25:43 AM »

@coin_tengoku - That sucks. Not sure why the game didn't prompt you, but it looks for a data file right when you boot it up.

So I've been focusing on getting the perfect level runs, and I've been stuck trying to even figure out the first level.

I'm sure you may have run across an S.Bonus in the game at some point. I found 2 in the first level but there were 3 spots. I finally found the 3rd S.Bonus in the first level and it took me down an alternate path to the boss. I had no idea this existed.

This FAQ has a good breakdown of the Secret Bonuses in the game:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot...97217-einhander/faqs/3840

I've been struggling with the game. I had previously reached Stage 4 on a single credit, but now I'm having a hard time even getting out of the first or second stage. Not sure if I get frustrated early, and that keeps me from progressing, or if I just can't find a rhythm. I'm not wildly changing how I play from run to run, but it seems like I have a difficult time with any kind of consistency.

Thanks for sharing that link, zoydo - will have to give it a read!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 09:05:52 AM by MetalFRO » Logged

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2019, 11:26:59 PM »

I finally managed to find a bit of a groove, and got my highest score yet while streaming earlier tonight:

I also managed to unlock both the Flash and Juno secret/special weapons, so I can now select either (or both!) when I start the game. Hugely helpful to start out with something that is OP.

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 02:59:29 PM »

I had a very nice run yesterday and i was really confident that i could beat my score. After i defeated the Stage 2 Midboss, dinner was ready and i had to pause the game while the Midboss was still exploding. When i came back to the game later and pressed start, something hit me out of nowhere instantly. I had just one life left and the game sent me back right before the midboss. I ran into the very first random bullet and died. Game Over. This game is giving me hell.

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2019, 08:44:15 AM »

I had a very nice run yesterday and i was really confident that i could beat my score. After i defeated the Stage 2 Midboss, dinner was ready and i had to pause the game while the Midboss was still exploding. When i came back to the game later and pressed start, something hit me out of nowhere instantly. I had just one life left and the game sent me back right before the midboss. I ran into the very first random bullet and died. Game Over. This game is giving me hell.

I'm finding much the same as you. There's enough difficulty in seeing some of the bullets, or in avoiding them, that it can be harder than it feels like it should be, on the surface. Having said that, I changed tactics last night. Because I had previously unlocked the Flash and Juno weapons, I went with the Endymion FRS Mk. III, for the unlimited ammo double machine gun, and used the Flash only for cover fire in tight situations, and tried to save ammo for boss fights. For the first time, I managed to get the S. BONUS for the first mid-boss, by destroying its hover unit as the way to defeat it. That unlocked the alternate path in the game, which also unlocked the alternate form of the 1st boss:

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2019, 03:20:37 AM »

For the first time, I managed to get the S. BONUS for the first mid-boss, by destroying its hover unit as the way to defeat it. That unlocked the alternate path in the game, which also unlocked the alternate form of the 1st boss:

I did this a few day ago by accident, but i didn't realize the S-Bonus. So i thought it would be more profitable to stick with the regular route, because there seem to be more enemies to shoot. But with the Bonus, the alternate path might be the better choice for scoring.

I had a nice run yesterday, got to the Stage 2 Boss flawless, but he took me down twice. Stage 3 midboss finished me by ramming into me.

TOB
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length