RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:20:31 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | April 2019 Playthrough - Limbo & Inside 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: April 2019 Playthrough - Limbo & Inside  (Read 16681 times)
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 09:00:04 AM »

I'm played through about half of Limbo so far. Usually trial and error isn't my favorite but Limbo has two important things: minimal load times and good checkpoints (mostly), which minimizes frustration.

Right now I'm stuck because of a timing thing (I'm trying to jump onto a chain moving across an electrified field) which I felt like I was making harder than it needed to be, so I put the game down for a bit. I'll be back at it soon though.
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 07:53:54 PM »

Is Limbo made in Europe, the land where water kills everything on contact?

polykill_trav
Tiger Gizmondo

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 09:28:55 PM »

I hope you guys finally finish Inside.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 06:12:45 AM »

What do you mean? Of course we'll finish it. I already did, in fact.

EDIT: Never mind! I'm guessing this was actually a reference to Rich's recent guest spot on Polykill. Can't wait to hear it!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:52:15 PM by GrayGhost81 » Logged

zophar53
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 03:02:52 PM »

Listeners of our podcast or people who know me in general know I am very bad with most video game puzzles. For whatever reason, the ones in Limbo (and so far Inside) just really click with me. I am able to see what it on screen and visualize the use of the objects available based on the established rules of the game. I accept that multiple deaths and trial and error are part of the process and as each puzzle 'clicks' with me I'll get excited that I figured something out, even as the boy's decapitated head is rolling down a hill.

That's really interesting to hear. For me, the trial and error nature of the puzzles are one of my very few complaints with Limbo. Generally I found that even if I was paying attention and spotted something that would be used later, I wouldn't yet have the context to figure out what it was for until the death happened. Ultimately, I didn't have too much frustration with it because I really like everything else about the game, but I'll be curious to hear you expand that more in the podcast.

I'm played through about half of Limbo so far. Usually trial and error isn't my favorite but Limbo has two important things: minimal load times and good checkpoints (mostly), which minimizes frustration.

Totally agree on the load times and checkpoints. I never feel like I'm losing too much progress when I die. Also, the puzzle sections are fairly self-contained, divided into kind-of-sort-of "levels."

It's been a while since I played through Limbo, but I'm finding the visuals and atmosphere are just as striking now as they were when I first played it. It's so eerie and unsettling, and adds to the ambiguity of the whole thing. I'm maybe halfway through, but I'm really enjoying going through it again.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 10:19:05 AM »

Also, giggity giggity! Wink

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 10:29:35 AM »

Yeah, I started this past Thursday and I have to say that I am really digging this game. It has everything I love in a game: puzzles, some platforming, minimalistic story, and an incredible art package.  I find it so rewarding to struggle at a particular part of the game and then manage to get through it without the use of a guide. I cannot say that I have not used a guide for one part of this game; however, once I found the answer to the puzzle, I immediately shut it down before watching the next segment.  I agree that the game has really good checkpointing, which I think is essential for this type of gameplay style.

Right now I'm stuck because of a timing thing (I'm trying to jump onto a chain moving across an electrified field) which I felt like I was making harder than it needed to be, so I put the game down for a bit. I'll be back at it soon though.

Yeah Pam, this part took me a few tries. Had to get that chain swinging pretty high. There are a few areas that are more platform sensitive than puzzle driven and these tend to be the more frustrating. You know what you have to do, it's just difficult to do it.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
zophar53
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 12:01:34 PM »

Finished Limbo last night. I still love the ending, but I'll wait to discuss it. I also found the secret level, which I didn't even know about until I looked into it. Doesn't add any clarity to the story, it's just a new chapter of puzzles.

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 03:46:04 PM »

Finished Limbo last night. The puzzles in the last 15 minutes or so are real jerks.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 10:28:34 AM »

Finished Limbo last night. The puzzles in the last 15 minutes or so are real jerks.

I finished last night as well. Agreed on the final puzzles. The timed gravity magnets were the suck. Hello buzzsaws!

zophar53
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2019, 08:58:39 AM »

I agree that the final gravity puzzles are a bit of a pain. Narratively and thematically though, I really enjoyed them. Tough to say more until it's time for spoilers.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2019, 07:58:43 AM »

It looks like Doug is the only one signed up who hasn't finished yet. However, he is very close to the end and wants us to go ahead and discuss the game fully. Smiley

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2019, 09:49:08 AM »

It looks like Doug is the only one signed up who hasn't finished yet. However, he is very close to the end and wants us to go ahead and discuss the game fully. Smiley

I haven't even started yet! Feel free to discuss freely though. I'll just avoid this thread for a couple days until I'm caught up.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2019, 10:30:12 AM »

When wall of text?

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2019, 01:38:43 PM »

When wall of text?

Well........

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length