RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:06:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | August 2019 Playthrough - Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: August 2019 Playthrough - Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair  (Read 20257 times)
Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2019, 07:35:32 PM »

@douglie That makes since. Now that I think about it the first one I had died because I didn’t know it was a thing at first.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2019, 08:44:26 PM »

I'm late to the party but I started the game this weekend. Not too much to report on so far as I am only in chapter one. The travel/map system is just like my favorite Atlus developed game, Friday the 13th for the NES. Like Crabby I loathe the chef guy, but haven't learned enough about anyone else to form an opinion.

and uh, Sonia Nevermind from Novaselic Island. Nice. Can't wait to see how that develops.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2019, 12:38:03 PM »

I finished Chapters 2 & 3 last night and boy am I pissed!  Oh course two of the characters I had strong relationships with ended up being the killers...………grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  More about this later of course. Wink

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2019, 03:28:04 PM »

I finished Chapters 2 & 3 last night and boy am I pissed!  Oh course two of the characters I had strong relationships with ended up being the killers...………grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  More about this later of course. Wink

I’m in a similar boat as you it seems all of my choices are either killers or the victims. I’m finishing up the chapter 4 trial, and the death of the victim left me hurting a little bit haha.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2019, 08:15:58 AM »

I'm part way into Chapter 3 currently. During the chapter 2 trial I bombed so hard when they were looking for the murder weapon from the video game. I was so lost trying to link the murder to the bathing suit that I just picked one truth bullet and tried it on every option until I finally found a match. Lost 3 lives just on that section alone, that's the worst I've ever done on one of those by a lot. The new drive logic game they added was alright though, had fun with that. It was easy to spot the red herrings they set up, but I didn't see Peko as the murderer and thought her working as a Yakuza hitman was pretty cool. I had already maxed out her hope fragments too so it wasn't a big bummer to lose her as a free time option. Her story from the free time sections was about how much she cared for her "friend" and how she wanted help to pursue that relationship who I assumed was someone off the island, but in retrospect was obviously Fuyuhiko. Only a little into chapter 3 Fuyuhiko is becoming one of the most interesting characters.

I also maxed out Chiaki and am halfway into Gunham currently. Curious what gift you get from the guys for maxing their social links since you get the girls underwear it seems from the ladies (still pervy Rich!) Also got 100% of the gift items you can receive from the lottery already so it's easy to use my free time on anyone I want rather than just who I have the gifts for.

What level are you guys at from walking around/investigating. I've never used the fast travel and always make a point of taking the long way around areas so I'm at level 42 currently and found 12 of the hidden Monokuma's so far. Just finished the part where Ibuki plays a song at the "Titty Typhoon"( &_& .....), I like her music a lot more than I assumed I would!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2019, 09:06:37 AM »

I also maxed out Chiaki and am halfway into Gunham currently. Curious what gift you get from the guys for maxing their social links since you get the girls underwear it seems from the ladies (still pervy Rich!) Also got 100% of the gift items you can receive from the lottery already so it's easy to use my free time on anyone I want rather than just who I have the gifts for.

What level are you guys at from walking around/investigating. I've never used the fast travel and always make a point of taking the long way around areas so I'm at level 42 currently and found 12 of the hidden Monokuma's so far. Just finished the part where Ibuki plays a song at the "Titty Typhoon"( &_& .....), I like her music a lot more than I assumed I would!

I've maxed out a few characters myself. My list includes Chiaki, Mikan, Nekomaru, and I've almost finished Akane's hope fragments. Don't worry Crabby, just like with the ladies, the fellas hand over their underwear as well haha. As for my current level, last time I checked I was at 50/51 and I am currently wrapping up chapter 4. I would say I'm 50/50 with fast traveling and walking to my destination, it honestly depends on my mood. That being said, I have taken a few laps around an island to get the level up when it is close. I also have 20/30 Monokuma Dolls. It looks like there is 5 per chapter. 3 are usually obtainable during free time and the other 2 are usually obtainable during the investigation sequences. I'm not sure if you can go back and find ones you missed, so I'm actively looking for the every time I go into a new area.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2019, 07:45:18 PM »

Just had the game freeze when I opened a door. Lost about 2 hours of playtime!!! Not very impressed....

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2019, 08:10:44 AM »

Really hunkered down over the last few days and was able to finish the entire game. I'll throw spoiler tags up for each checkpoint and then toss some final thoughts at the end.

Chapters 4 & 5:
Spoiler (hover to show)

Chapter 0 & 6
Spoiler (hover to show)

Final thoughts:
I much preferred the first game to this one and I think a huge part of that is just the length and pacing of the game. 1st game always knew when to cut things off before they overstayed their welcome and in 2 so many parts just dragged on and on. The trials were especially grueling and not as enjoyable. Hopefully some of you will back me up (and I'm not just an idiot), but I found a lot of the links you had to put together in the trials were a big leap of logic or too cryptic which resulted in a ton of wrong answers for me which meant just repeating the same arguments over and over. Did not care for most of the mini-games during the trial and even though during the first trial I didn't mind Hangman's Gambit and Logic Drive they lost their novelty extremely quickly. The addition of the Truth Sword and the Consent bullets were not exciting at all. I really loved the new and improved Closing Arguments section though compared to the first game, those were always fun to put together. Just a personal preference, but I don't like tropical/island settings in pretty much anything so the school from the first game was a lot more interesting for me to explore. The cast in both games are pretty much on par for me. In the first game Yasuhiro drove me nuts and it bothered me that he was one of the students that made it all the way through, Kazuichi and Nagito was in the same vein for me in 2. I really enjoyed watching Fuyuhiko evolve throughout the game though and he started off as one of my least favorites and grew into one of the best characters I thought. Ended at level 72 with 999 Monokuma coins and all the gifts you could earn from the coin games. Might mess around with the other modes you unlock by beating the game to see if there is anything fun there too over the next week.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2019, 10:22:02 AM »

It's funny, Danganronpa 2 is considered the best of the series, but I have to agree with all of your comments about the pacing of the game and the trials.  I thought that some of this might get better with the second game, but like you said, the new games are neither impressive, nor do they add much to the game. The leaps in logic can be very bewildering as well and I find myself struggling in many of the Truth Bullet segments.  I don't mind the change in atmosphere with the island, but for some odd reason, prefer the school as well, though it seems more constricting. 

I guess we can talk freely regarding Chapters 2 & 3 now, but I'll still put my thoughts in spoiler brackets for those who maybe have not caught up yet (I know, this games is long):

Spoiler (hover to show)

I can confirm that each chapter has 5 hidden Monokumas.  I have finished the first chapters and have all 15. Hoping that there is some bonus for completeing this collection.  You know, even though this game can drag out a bit, I'm still really enjoying my playthrough of it and would definitely consider playing more of them down the road.  Going to get started on Chapter 4 & 5 soon....as soon as I finish editing this podcast. August has been a real balancing act for me so far. Smiley

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2019, 06:20:06 AM »

Hey gang. I'm at the trial recess in chapter 2 and I'll have to leave my Vita at home to charge today. I'm starting to feel the self-imposed pressure to finish this game in time to record the podcast, but honestly I'm not sure if it will happen. As much as I love the feeling of the greatest handheld console ever created in my grubby little hands, and as much as the I enjoy the colorful pop of this game leaping off the OLED screen into my eyeballs, there is SO MUCH text that I have found myself laying on the circle button and skipping through it more than a few times. I played the first game back in Feb and I'm really feeling for the guys here who are playing 1 & 2 back to back for this playthrough.

I've been using a walkthrough from the start. I learned from the first game that I am a complete imbecile when it comes to trying to figure out how to solve the cases and work through the trials.

I love the music and I think the English vo is well done. I'm not particularly attached to of the characters which is just as well for obvious reasons.

So far I'm not really into the new trial mini-games. The new hangman's gambit is an excruciating bore.

I was really curious about Twilight Syndrome Murder Mystery because the characters being named Girl A, Girl B, etc reminded me of the real life case of Sasebo slashing, where an 11 year old girl murdered a classmate with a box cutter. Because of her age, her name was not released to the public and she was known only as Girl A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasebo_slashing

I couldn't find any evidence that TSMM was inspired by this case, but rather that it is an homage to Twilight Syndrome, a series of Japan only survival-horror adventure games, the first two of which were directed by Suda51! Very cool stuff.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2019, 07:48:54 AM »

Hey gang. I'm at the trial recess in chapter 2 and I'll have to leave my Vita at home to charge today. I'm starting to feel the self-imposed pressure to finish this game in time to record the podcast, but honestly I'm not sure if it will happen. As much as I love the feeling of the greatest handheld console ever created in my grubby little hands, and as much as the I enjoy the colorful pop of this game leaping off the OLED screen into my eyeballs, there is SO MUCH text that I have found myself laying on the circle button and skipping through it more than a few times. I played the first game back in Feb and I'm really feeling for the guys here who are playing 1 & 2 back to back for this playthrough.

I've been using a walkthrough from the start. I learned from the first game that I am a complete imbecile when it comes to trying to figure out how to solve the cases and work through the trials.

I love the music and I think the English vo is well done. I'm not particularly attached to of the characters which is just as well for obvious reasons.

So far I'm not really into the new trial mini-games. The new hangman's gambit is an excruciating bore.

I was really curious about Twilight Syndrome Murder Mystery because the characters being named Girl A, Girl B, etc reminded me of the real life case of Sasebo slashing, where an 11 year old girl murdered a classmate with a box cutter. Because of her age, her name was not released to the public and she was known only as Girl A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasebo_slashing

I couldn't find any evidence that TSMM was inspired by this case, but rather that it is an homage to Twilight Syndrome, a series of Japan only survival-horror adventure games, the first two of which were directed by Suda51! Very cool stuff.

I'm sure there are more references I missed too, but Chiaki made a kick-ass Zombie Nation reference early in the game too that I loved!

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2019, 08:51:44 AM »

I'm also a bit behind.  I'm in the middle of the second trial.  The trials are so far apart, I forget the controls in the heat of the trial... I was trying to get some of the trophies like, not trying to use slow motion, but screwed it up trying to change the truth bullet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2019, 07:31:47 AM »

Played through the Usagi mode that is a mini game in which you defeat waves of baddies leading to eventually fighting the Monobeasts from the main game. It was pretty lame, but if you're looking for another way to farm coins maybe check it out.

The other mode you unlock for beating the game is pretty cool though. You get island mode which is basically an alt-reality of the game where Usagi beats up Monokuma as soon as he arrives and everyone has a happy school trip with no killings. You get to keep your hope fragments from the main game so you can use this to max everyone out if you like. The main part of it though is a resource/time management game where you have to gather resources from around the island to build crafts for Usagi to bond with your schoolmates. You also have to spend a bit of time cleaning up or there are penalties for being to messy. You have to rest your characters from time to time or they will be to tired to work anymore and also wont be available to earn hope fragments from until they are rested again. Pretty neat!

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2019, 09:43:59 AM »

Damn, sounds awesome Crabby!  Thanks for reporting on these.

Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2019, 12:36:19 PM »

I was able to finish the game last weekend as well, I figured I'd just power though it for a few hours since I was at the chapter 5 class trial. I don't really feel like discussing the class trials except for chapter 6. I feel like whats already been said falls in the realm of how I felt about those chapters. I also feel that basically everything that happens between chapter 1 and chapter 5 doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Honestly, I believe that anyone could get a general idea of the story and conclusion of the game by only playing the prologue, watching chapter 0, and completing chapter 6. Meaning that everything that occurs in Chapter 1 - 5 is really just filler that will tease some plot points that don't get revealed until the end of the game and to build relationships between the characters and the player. I think my feelings about Danganronpa 2 stem from the fact that I felt burnt out playing it. I think this is due to playing the first game right before the 2nd one, I didn't have much time in between to really play anything else. That being said I am glad that I finished the first game, as it really helped explain a lot of things that occurred at the end of the game.

Anyways, here is my thoughts chapter 6....
Spoiler (hover to show)

I found Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair to be an okay game overall, however I would have probably liked it more had I not played it back to back with the 1st game. I like the improvements they made to some of the class trial mini games as well as the addictions of the sword segments and truth dive/snowboarding segments. I thought the game looked visually appealing with the 2D sprites in a 3D world depicting the visual novel world that the game represents. I liked the background music as well, even though at times it was a bit repetitive hearing the same looping track over and over like in the investigation segments. Luckily the music can be turned way down in the settings to prevent it from being to annoying. The controls were solid for most of the elements of the game. My only gripe with them is the tank like controls for the first person exploring/walking segments. They just felt a little awkward at first but I was used to them as it is the same as the 1st game. I know there is a 3rd game as well as a kind of spin off title that involves Makoto's younger sister. I might try to play these eventually, but not after I spend some time playing some non visual novel games.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length