RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:45:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | September 2019 Shmup Club - Zaxxon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: September 2019 Shmup Club - Zaxxon  (Read 23380 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: August 06, 2019, 10:28:45 AM »

Until 1982, most shooting games were of the 2D top-down, or side-view variety. Sure, there were things like Star Wars Arcade, which took a more first-person route, a handful of early console games that toyed with perspective a bit, and even the arcade hit Juno First, which had a sort of faux-3rd person, above and behind the ship sort of view. But nothing had taken the mechanics of a 2D shooting game and blended them with a 3D perspective, quite like what Sega accomplished with Zaxxon. Some argue that it's not really a shmup, because you move your ship on the Z-axis. However, given that you can only go up and down on the Z-axis, or left and right on the X-axis, with no movement forward or backward, it still retains movement on a 2D plane. Regardless of the semantics, it's hard to argue that Zaxxon wasn't a hugely influential game, in a number of respects.

Pilot your ship across a landscape dotted with communication satellites, turrets, bunkers, and fuel tanks. Fly over and between walls, avoid electrical grids, and watch out for incoming missiles! Keep an eye on your fuel gauge, as well; you don't want to be caught unawares, when you find yourself running on fumes. Shoot down those fuel tanks to replenish, and keep flying! If you're good enough, you can get through the second fortress, and face the mighty Zaxxon robot! Join the RF Generation Shmup Club in September 2019, as we take on this classic Sega arcade game! The original version is available as an unlockable bonus in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3 and Xbox 360, as well as in the Sega Genesis Collection for PS2. Many ports of the game were released for home consoles and computers, including Atari 2600, Atari 5200, IntelliVision, ColecoVision and Sega SG-1000 ports, a solid conversion for the Commodore 64, along with many other computer ports, such as IBM PC, ZX Spectrum, Apple II, TRS-80, and Atari's 8-bit line of home computers. Pick your version, and see if you have what it takes to defeat the robot guardian in Zaxxon!

Participants:
MetalFRO
Addicted
Duke.Togo
zoydo
Zagnorch
coin_tengoku
dtungsten

High Scores:

Original hint:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:11:29 AM by MetalFRO » Logged

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 05:38:27 AM »

Elemental Master?

TOB
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 08:35:23 AM »

Ah, The Karate Kid a Sega classic.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 10:35:06 AM »

Elemental Master?

Nope, but not a bad guess Cheesy

Ah, The Karate Kid a Sega classic.

You're a goofball Tongue

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 07:02:13 AM »

Ikaruga?

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 08:24:40 AM »

Ikaruga?

Sorry, that's not it.

You guys are gonna kick yourselves, when it's revealed Cheesy

ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 03:04:00 PM »

Is it time for Otomedius Excellent?? Cheesy

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 06:46:27 PM »

Sorry to disappoint you yet again, Redd, but it's not quite time yet. Not sure how you'd extrapolate that from the image above Cheesy

ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 07:35:14 PM »

Sorry to disappoint you yet again, Redd, but it's not quite time yet. Not sure how you'd extrapolate that from the image above Cheesy

I didn't, but I'm just going to guess it no matter what image it is now until the time comes.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 09:54:46 PM »

Chaos Field?

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 12:42:23 AM »

Twin Cobra?
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 08:55:25 AM »

What does Mr. Miyagi tell him to do to the car?

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 12:39:56 PM »

That was the first line I thought of, and racked my brain for days on that saying. Just realized today I was taking it too literally...it's Zaxxon isn't it?
bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 01:06:44 PM »

That was the first line I thought of, and racked my brain for days on that saying. Just realized today I was taking it too literally...it's Zaxxon isn't it?

Combo month with Zaxxoff!

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 03:39:08 PM »

LOL, EZ Racer gets the prize! Which is to say, there's no prize, but thanks for playing my little guessing game! Hopefully, some of you will join in and tackle this arcade classic with us Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length