RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:13:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | December 2019 Shmup Club - Otomedius Excellent 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: December 2019 Shmup Club - Otomedius Excellent  (Read 11652 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: November 12, 2019, 10:06:41 AM »

In December, the RF Generation Shmup Club will be taking on a game that has been requested since the beginning of the club. We'll also be finally playing one of the many shooting games on the Xbox 360. A descendant of the Gradius series of games, and to a lesser extent, the Parodius series, Otomedius Excellent is the second of 2 shooting games from Konami that feature an all-female cast of pilots, and a very anime-styled presentation. The game's predecessor, Otomedius Gorgeous, was only available in Japan, but in the West, we were not only given the chance to buy the sequel, but were treated to a deluxe package, including an outer box, an artbook, a pair of pillowcases, and a soundtrack CD, featuring a sampling of songs from the Otomedius Gorgeous soundtrack, as well as the vocal songs included in this game. For collector's, Otomedius Excellent certainly provides more value the the average game purchase.

Otomedius Excellent plays similarly to the classic Gradius series of games. Shoot down enemy waves, and collect power-up chips, and then use those to upgrade your ship. What sets this entry apart, however, is that you have a choice between more characters and ships than ever before, and your weapon load-out can be highly customized. Not only that, but the game has a large amount of DLC, adding additional challenges, and other content to explore. The game combines detailed 3-D environments with fully voiced, anime style boss introductions, and dialogue from all the characters. Join the RF Generation Shmup Club in December 2019, as we play Otomedius Excellent for the Xbox 360!

Participants:
MetalFRO
Addicted
ReddMcKnight

High Scores:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 09:27:23 PM by MetalFRO » Logged

ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 01:11:10 PM »

You even have to ask with me? Sign me up! Smiley

dtungsten
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 04:25:06 PM »

I'm unable to participate in this one, sorry.
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 08:22:17 AM »

I wish I had an Xbox 360, that game looks like fun!

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 09:28:41 PM »

I wish I had an Xbox 360, that game looks like fun!

It's unfortunate that Konami hasn't done anything for the Xbox One backwards compatibility, either, so as far as I know, this game isn't playable on the Xbox One.

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 11:48:54 PM »

Too bad it's not region free, i'd love to give this one a shot. Sad

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 10:06:59 AM »

Too bad it's not region free, i'd love to give this one a shot. Sad

You're right. I didn't even realize this didn't receive a European release, but it appears that it did not. And yes, it's too bad this isn't region free. That would certainly be nice. :|

ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 08:34:41 AM »

Gather round, everyone! Almost time for what I now dub Score Attack: Waifu Wars Edition! Cheesy

Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 10:51:11 AM »

Just played my first few runs of the game and these are my first thoughts on this game.

-Bullets love to hide in the background.
    -The hit box seems bigger then most gradius games
    -Don't get distracted! (You know what I mean!)

Super fun get though,  get I could dust it off again and play it for a while.

* 20191201_093448.jpg (1662.76 KB, 3142x1762 - viewed 421 times.)
Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 02:39:05 PM »

I may have got a little lucky on score attack but here is a good score.

* 20191201_124438.jpg (926.97 KB, 2482x1548 - viewed 358 times.)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 12:22:42 AM »

Alright, this is my best so far in Story Mode, on Normal difficulty:

I'm still figuring out the hitbox for the character I chose, and there are definitely some spots where it feels like there are unavoidable hits. I might have to change my outlook on that, but right now, there are definitely some initial humps to get over. A couple of the bosses I haven't been able to beat yet, and they just time out. I'd really like to figure out how to beat the snake boss, rather than timing it out.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 01:16:06 AM »

I managed to get a fair bit farther, and increased my score by quite a margin! I feel like a Normal difficulty clear isn't too far past the horizon...

* Otomedius 1.3 million_small.jpg (161.67 KB, 717x538 - viewed 283 times.)

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 09:10:17 PM »

I wanted to share a strategy with everyone - on the Old Big Core boss, there's a moving vertical "platform" that tracks with your movement, and shoots bullets at you. Even with multiple speedups, you're not likely to outrun it. Instead, if you use a Burst when the fight starts, you get a couple seconds of invincibility. You can use that to fly right through it, and then just move up and down to shoot the barriers and cores, while moving up and down to avoid the occasional volley of bullets from the top and bottom cannons. It's a pretty easy strategy to employ, and though there's an end level bonus for the number of bursts you have in stock, you get WAY more points for destroying the boss than you do for holding onto a burst.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 12:45:09 AM »

Seems like I'm stuck in 1-7. I haven't quite been able to overcome the Dark Force boss fight. The pattern shouldn't be that difficult, but I can't seem to crack it yet. I am progressing in score, though. I managed to finally beat the snake boss, though, instead of it just timing out, so there's that.

* Otomedius 1.5 million.jpg (90.96 KB, 902x677 - viewed 277 times.)

Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 12:48:09 AM »

The past few days I have been trying out all the characters and seeing what there pros and cons are.  Kokoro Belmont,  there are some interesting powerups that are plainly made for her. She can use the beam whip and then have access to the holy water, axe and the Beam cross. The option that Kokoro uses is the Trigon. This option you only get one but with each upgrade it will start to shoot more powerful shots forward and backwards in whichever direction it is pointing.  Though the Trigon sounds great it forces you to move around  to position it to shot where you want it too. I would say don't use her unless you want to challenge yourself.

* 20191204_190750.jpg (1115.31 KB, 2995x1701 - viewed 249 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length