RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:22:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | June Joint Playthrough [Playcast & Corecast] - Cannon Spike 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: June Joint Playthrough [Playcast & Corecast] - Cannon Spike  (Read 15505 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: May 16, 2020, 10:13:33 PM »

PARTICIPANTS:
singlebanana
GrayGhost81
MetalFRO
Addicted
ReddMcKnight
douglie007
Dingo
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 03:19:34 PM by MetalFRO » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 08:24:30 PM »

Welcome to Earf?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 08:59:11 AM »

Welcome to Earf?

Has more to do with something in the name of the location than the actual location.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 09:47:36 AM »

Looking forward to this!!!

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 08:51:59 AM »

Yep, going to be a good time!

ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 09:14:17 PM »

Mega Man is in this. Sign me up for the Cannon Spike! Cheesy

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 11:54:02 AM »

Well...............he's an unlockable

ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 12:11:43 PM »

Actually, you just press Left on Charlie, and he's there.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 12:44:52 PM »

Actually, you just press Left on Charlie, and he's there.

Yep! Mega Man is left of Charlie, and to select B.B. Hood, move right once after Simone. According to the page I'm looking at, you can also select an alternate costume for Cammy by pressing up or down while she's highlighted on the Character Select screen. I haven't tried it myself yet, though. You also unlock a gallery, once you beat the game w/ any character.

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 02:42:33 PM »

Is this only available on Dreamcast or emulation? Looks interesting, but I don't emulate, and the Dreamcast edition is cost prohibitive.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 08:43:11 PM »

Is this only available on Dreamcast or emulation? Looks interesting, but I don't emulate, and the Dreamcast edition is cost prohibitive.

There's this cheaper option though not sure how you'd feel about it.
https://www.etsy.com/list...cently_viewed-2&frs=1

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 01:39:39 PM »

Played the game twice this morning on 'child' difficulty, once with Simone and once with Arthur. I like it a lot, though I'd give my left huevo for this to be twin sticks or do have a dodge button.

Looking forward to a few more runs through as the month goes on. I love the fun and flashiness of this era of the Dreamcast.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 07:52:29 PM »

I'm in for this play through.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 08:26:57 AM »

I haven't been able to make it out of 1-3 on a single credit yet, but with credit feeding, I can make it to 1-6 on the Normal difficulty. I may try a lower difficulty at some point, just to see if I can get a little further. As with most Psikyo shooters, the stage order is random for the first few, so that helps mix it up. It also means sometimes you get luck of the draw, in terms of which levels and bosses you face at a lower power level. It's been years since I picked this up, but it feels good to already be able to get further on a single credit, as well as credit feeding, than I remember being able to do before. One thing I have to hand to Psikyo is that they found a way to incorporate their fast bullet patterns into a game that's not strictly a shmup, in the broad sense, and it works here. Someone on my stream last night commented that the game also bears a resemblance to their earlier multi-directional shooter Zero Gunner, which is a good comparison point.

Arthur is my chosen character right now - he's "easy mode" in a sense, because his light melee attack is enough to decimate most small-medium enemies in one hit (or one hit combined with some standard shots), and both his heavy shot and heavy melee attack can drain boss energy pretty fast, allowing  you to make quick work of them. I also like Cammy - her double guns give you more coverage, and do more damage faster than most other characters, and her ability to combo with her light melee attack into her Spiral Arrow move is good for breaking up a small group of enemies, or dealing heavy damage to one. B.B. Hood's attacks are fun to use, but her heavy shot is slow to deploy, and has limited range. Charlie seems kinda weak, overall. I liked Simone well enough, and Shiba is kinda fun to use. Mega Man I like, but he feels a bit weaker than he should be. But his Mega Buster heavy shot is good, as is his heavy melee attack, which is a short-range tornado. Makes me wonder if Tornado Man, from MM9, was somehow influenced by this move.

* Cannon Spike 01_small.jpg (413.49 KB, 1008x756 - viewed 806 times.)

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 11:00:12 PM »

Still rocking Arthur, and made a little progress this evening. Made it to 1-4 a few times, and even 1-5 once. Some of the small enemies start shooting bullet spreads by that point on Normal, so it becomes a lot more of a dodging exercise. Both the heavy attacks have a lot of recovery time for Arthur. Not sure yet how it compares to the other characters, but you really have to be aware of your surroundings, and pointed in the right direction, so those attacks actually do what you intend, and so you don't leave yourself wide open to take damage.

* Cannon Spike 02_small.jpg (421.68 KB, 1008x756 - viewed 816 times.)

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length