RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:40:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGen's Top 20 Playstation PSX games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: RFGen's Top 20 Playstation PSX games  (Read 17017 times)
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2020, 02:52:29 PM »

Are games like Final Fantasy Chronicles/Anthology or Namco Museum eligible for these lists? This is the first console we've covered where there are a significant number of great past games getting rereleased. Should they count?

I have gone back and forth about a million times with this question over the weekend, and even before the list announcement, I wondered if it would come up.

If you feel that one of the compilations is a top 20 game for you, include it. I think by doing it this way, we can get ahead on lists like PS2 that have a bevy of really good compilations. The fact is that several of these collections either added content or provided Western audiences a first peek at certain titles.

If you have already turned in a list, and want to adjust your list to allow for a compilation title, please let me know.

Thanks again.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 08:38:58 PM »

Are games like Final Fantasy Chronicles/Anthology or Namco Museum eligible for these lists? This is the first console we've covered where there are a significant number of great past games getting rereleased. Should they count?

I have gone back and forth about a million times with this question over the weekend, and even before the list announcement, I wondered if it would come up.

If you feel that one of the compilations is a top 20 game for you, include it. I think by doing it this way, we can get ahead on lists like PS2 that have a bevy of really good compilations. The fact is that several of these collections either added content or provided Western audiences a first peek at certain titles.

If you have already turned in a list, and want to adjust your list to allow for a compilation title, please let me know.

Thanks again.

I think that's the right decision. Thanks for the clarification

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 02:34:17 PM »

Just wanted to remind anyone that wants to submit a list that there's about a week left.

This list is going to be wild...
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2020, 08:45:08 AM »

Just wanted to remind anyone that wants to submit a list that there's about a week left.

This list is going to be wild...

Got mine all sorted. Just need to add commentary

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 01:13:35 PM »

After much deliberation, I finally submitted my list. This is probably the last one of these I'm going to really obsess over.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2020, 03:25:23 PM »

So, I think there was definitely some surprises on how the voting turned out for this list. It was amazing to see all the single vote getters, and there were big name games among them, including 11 games that received a top 5 vote as their lone spot. In fact, out of 106 games that got a vote, only 33 got more than one vote.

So here we go...

One 20th place vote

Spider: The Video Game
NFL Blitz
Bust-a-move 99
Street Fighter Alpha 2-
"There are so many great Capcom fighters it was hard to pick just one. So I picked 4!"
G-Darius- "While not quite a homerun, Taito's G Darius comes roaring onto the PlayStation with most of the arcade game's character, despite some framerate issues, and more slowdown than the original. That may be a small mercy for some, however, since the game's punishing difficulty can be offputting to those who aren't ready for it. Further refining the mechanics of its predecessor, Darius Gaiden, G is a monumental game with the customary weirdness in the ZUNTATA soundtrack, and an incredibly colorful and vibrant take on the shooter genre."

One 19th place vote

Medal of Honor
Warhawk-
"This was part of the first group of games I got for the PSX, and man was it fun.  Not so much anymore, but at the time I couldn't get enough of the Warhawk VTOL and it's movement.  What we need is somebody to make a hack of the game, but give us dual (or any) analog controls.  Love it for the memories, but quite frankly now this makes my hands hurt."
Twisted Metal- "Yeah, I can agree that the second game in the series has more character options and more detailed levels, but there is just something about the charm of the original that I prefer more.  A fun little series that began on the PS1 and continues to be a staple of future consoles."
Final Fantasy Chronicles- "Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV in one package? Yes please. Was an early form of rereleasing classic games to new generations of players and one of the reasons I have a strong love for jRPGs now."
Blazing Dragons- "it's dry humor, but hilarious nonetheless. A piont and click game that's really, really funny. If you're a fan of Monte Python, that's the humor you're running into with Blazing Dragons"

One 18th place vote

King's Field
Point Blank 3
One-
"This is the Contra game Konami should have made for the PlayStation. Fast action, high intensity visuals, and boatloads of explosions, it's the run & gun game that will fill that need, when both of Konami's offerings on the system failed to live up to expectations."
Worms Armageddon- "One of the best party games of all time. So much silliness involved"
Blaster Master: Blasting Again- "Bought this game as a joke and ended up liking it.  Sounds silly, but I really like the loud banging sound of the tank hitting the ground after a jump, and this was enough to carry me the thirty minutes it took to become invested.  Don't look for anything deep, but the movement and action is fun."
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare- "It's pretty much a Resident Evil clone, but one of the better ones, with a touch of Lovecraftian/Cthulhu influence to help it stand apart. The best game in the Alone in the Dark series by far."

One 17th place vote

World Cup '98
Discworld
Mobile Light Force
Treasures of the Deep-
"If it wasn't for all the enemies and killing this would be a very relaxing game.  As it is, you move around pretty oceans in your small submarine and quite frankly I do find it relaxing.  But then again, I've never beaten it, just content to explore."
Strider 2- "2D games can still live on in the 3D era! Really great action game that thrives on design from the previous generation"

One 16th place vote

Robo Pit
Xenogears-
"yeah it has got some issues, but the characters, style and settings all make up for the convoluted story telling which honestly has some appeal hidden away in its madness"
N-Gen Racing- "What an awesome idea for a racing game! Racing fighter jets through a course at high speeds while worrying about firing at and likewise getting fired upon by your competitors. It does have its flaws, but the sheer speed and uniqueness more than make up for it."
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure- "A fairly short and simple game, but it's a fun ride with a ton of charm."
Technu Stealth Assassins- "I played the import of Tenchu to death on my chipped PSX back in the day, but one day I found the NA release cheap and picked it up and played it to death again. It felt quite a bit different and to this day I don't know which version I like better, but I played the NA version more, maybe because my chipped PSX died.  I normally don't like stealth games, but the freedom of movement in Tenchu is quite good.  Onikage is one of my favorite bosses from any game (though I like his voice better in the Japanese version).
Fear Effect- "An interesting cinematic adventure game.  This one is almost all presentation.  The puzzles and combat were pretty interesting but very difficult and clunky but everything else kept me wanting to continue.

Like I said, there were A TON of games that got a single vote. More to come soon...
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2020, 04:01:44 PM »

2 of mine down. Interesting to see Mobile Light Force make anyone's list. The core game is good, but not the best port. I don't have Fear Effect yet, but that's a game that, based on what I played when I rented it back in the day, is probably one that warrants consideration.

Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2020, 04:18:44 PM »

Two down for me also, one of which is surprising to me that it wasn't on any other list.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2020, 05:06:57 PM »

Two down for me also, one of which is surprising to me that it wasn't on any other list.

Man, I can't believe the games that got only one vote.  Some of these games are top 10 games!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2020, 05:09:25 PM »

2 of mine down. Interesting to see Mobile Light Force make anyone's list. The core game is good, but not the best port. I don't have Fear Effect yet, but that's a game that, based on what I played when I rented it back in the day, is probably one that warrants consideration.

Fear Effect and Fear Effect 2 both made my list but got taken off when I had to reduce my list to 20.  I kind of regret it but the PS1 has so many great games!

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2020, 05:10:00 PM »

Wow, 4 of mine are out.  1, maybe 2, i can see being out but 4?!

SMS set complete!
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2020, 11:58:13 PM »

With so many games getting a single vote, I have to crank out more also-rans...

One 15th place vote

Galerians

Mortal Kombat 3
"When I heard the next list was for the Playstation, I knew I had to include this game.  I have so many fond memories of this game.  During the Summer, when i was in high school/college my parents would go up north to their camper and eave me home alone.  I would invite people over and we would play this game to death.  it was so much fun and was the best Mortal Kombat up to date and improved over the previous games.  Even without the fond memories I have this game would still make the list."

Tempest X3 "Back in 1998 I had a serious hankering to play me some Tempest, but there were just no (working) machines to be found in my area, and only Tempest X3 answered the call, and I still have it to this day.  It can get a little hard to see at times due to the massive effects, and it just feels weird without a spinner, but then again beggars can't be choosers."

In the Hunt "Not a cheap title, but if you love the Metal Slug series, you have to own a copy of In the Hunt.  The game has very simiular gameplay and artwork as the MS series, but here you play primarily as a submarine. A really fun arcade, side-scrolling shooter that shouldn't me missed."

Soul Blade "I wasn't a big fan of fighting games growing up, but boy were there some good ones for PS1. For me, this game just oozes character in a way that it's sequels haven't achieved. Just in case someone's unaware, the series was rebranded as Soulcalibur for its future iterations."

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver "The first Legacy of Kain game was an odd, top-down perspective, 2D game, not unlike a more RPG/grindy take on the Gauntlet formula. This sequel takes a much different approach, with you playing as Kain's underling, Raziel, and despite being killed off by Kain at the game's outset, you're resurrected, and given the task of taking Kain down. It's an intetesting take on the 3rd person action game, with puzzle solving and solid combat, and since you can't die, but are returned to the spirit realm, it introduces another layer to make things more interesting."

One 14th place vote

Nightmare Creatures "Played it to death on a demo, so I had to get it.  Wikipedia lists this as a survival horror game, which I find hilarious, due to the combat I guess.  It is a little bloody and weird, and does have a wonderfully atmospheric soundtrack, but action beat'em up is a more apt description, I think.  Doesn't stand up to the N64 port, but this is one of the few games from the early days of the PSX that I still actively play."

Silent Bomber "A game that came out late in the life cycle of the PS1 and as a result, not played by many gamers, even those very familiar with the system's library. The game is an overhead run 'n gun that incorporates a strategy where you lay down bombs on enemies. Fast paced gameplay that keeps you on your toes and constantly in motion. I fun little, dare I say....hidden gem."

One 13th place vote

Mega Man Legends 2

Crash Bandicoot 2
"I honestly never played any of the Crash Bandicoot series until a few years ago.  I always thought of these games as a poor attempt to cash in on a system mascot by Sony....boy was I wrong. The Crash games are really fun and stand out on their own among the top rated system mascot games. The other games in this series are good, but the sequel stands out to me as the best."

Ghost in the Shell "I actually first bought this game because of the crazy intro animation, which made zero sense to me.  Now I remember this as the game with one of the coolest boss fights on the PSX (which culminates with you falling down the side of a building and continuing the fight in free-fall).  Love it, and will be playing more of it tonight."

R-Type Delta "While not scaling the heights that Einhander managed to reach, Irem's first foray into the 3D space for this popular series of shmups is a fantastic game, with a lot going for it. Great music, excellent visuals, and the right balance of challenge and hair-pulling frustration. Arguably the best game in the series."

One 12th place vote

Vagrant Story

Pitfall 3D

Valkyrie Profile
"Probably the most lush and detailed graphics of any RPG (maybe even game) on the PS1. The game offers both turn-based gameplay and platforming, which is complex and very challenging at times.  Mix in a great story, and you have one of the best RPGs on they system."

Tomba! "I guess this one is no surprise to anyone (given my nerd-handle).  I was never really into 2.5D platformers, but this one is just so charming to play that I couldn't stay away.  I don't own it anymore, but I believe it is sold in the PSN store.  Tomba tonight!"

One 11th place vote

Xevious 3D

Tail Concerto
"Yet another apartment nostalgia game.  I played this game over a long weekend and I have a strong memory of being very sad when it ended, and I would have cared for at least another hundred hours (!).  I then took it back to the game store and got the next title, as I didn't have the compulsion or space to collect games at this point in my life.  Oops!"

Marvel Super Heroes "Yet another Capcom fighter on my list. An amazing precursor to Marvel vs Capcom."

Omega Boost "A truly impressive game for the hardware, this 3rd-person "mechs in space" shooter runs buttery smooth on the console, with some really cool visual effects. If you want to see a PlayStation game that approaches the kind of 3D look and feel you might get from an early PS2 game, this will impress you. It's also a very good game."

Not even close to being done with the also-rans, just goes to show how vast yet high quality the Playstation's library is...

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:02:22 AM by EZ Racer » Logged
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2020, 12:15:13 AM »

I lost 5 games in the first post!! Thankfully only 1 in the second. Some cool games already that I'm going to have to add to my wishlist

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2020, 07:43:21 AM »

Whew, only lost 1 in the second post.

SMS set complete!
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2020, 10:02:43 AM »

3 more of mine down. 2 of them I didn't expect to see excluded, but 1 of them I figured would be on someone else's list.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length