RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:06:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGen's Top 20 Playstation PSX games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: RFGen's Top 20 Playstation PSX games  (Read 17018 times)
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2020, 12:25:08 AM »

Yet more single votes. A whopping 26 games got a lone vote in the top 10.

One 10th place vote

Alundra "A great action-RPG with some heavy inspiration from Legend of Zelda."

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile "Probably known more for its high price tag, Klonoa is a great 2.5D platformer and may be the best true platformer on the PS1. A better platformer than its competitor Super Mario 64 (IMO) due to it's incredible level design and awesome abilities. Challenging and worth the price of admission to add to your collection."

Tactics Ogre "Another great tactics game.  Honestly, its really just Final Fantasy Tactics 0.  Most of the story ideas and gameplay would go onto that game with more refinement."

Gran Turismo "This game revolutionized the racing genre. I remember how excited I was when it first came out, and it definitely did not disappoint. Real cars, seriously who didn't want to drive a Viper in the 90's, with the closest to real physics we had seen on a console game to that point, and a killer soundtrack to boot."

The Raiden Project "Despite the move toward 3D, some 2D games still made their way westward, and thankfully, The Raiden Project was one such release. A compilation of the 1st 2 Raiden arcade shoot-em-ups, this faithfully captures those games, and gives extras, like a full 3D intro, and arranged soundtracks for both games. There's even a "tate" vertical orientation mode, though the North American release didn't offer a commensurate control option that didn't make you turn your pad on its end. Still, it's the only legitimate release of Raiden II, and that's worth something."

One 9th place vote

Legend of Legaia "It's pretty much like a fighting game in turn based RPG form."

One 8th place vote

Doom "My favorite port of the original DOOM.  The game is turned from the lightning fast FPS on DOS to a plodding atmospheric survival-shooter.  Playing on my headphones the game was extremely creepy, with music that straddles the border of hellish ambient factory noise, chanting voices, and very unnerving dark hallways with too-dim colored lighting. Doesn't look as good as the N64 but still my fav.

Koudelka "A cross between the jRPGs and horror games of the time.  I ended up enjoying this a lot more than expected considering the devs weren't known for either genre."

Diablo "Amazing atmosphere makes this one of the most interesting horror games I’ve ever played."

One 7th place vote

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4

WWF Smackdown 2: Know Your Role
"I know this is an odd pick, but I can't overstate how many hours and how much fun I had playing this with friends and family back in the day. It probably doesn't hold up that great today, but I'll always have fond memories of it."

Syphon Filter 2 "The Syphon Filter series was never as highly lauded as Metal Gear Solid, but that doesn't mean it's a slouch. Taking a more balanced approach, with a greater mix of action and stealth than MGS, the 2nd game in the series built upon the strengths of the original, while giving us more options, more story, and an even bigger international mystery to unravel. Still worth playing today."

Final Fantasy Origins "So I love the NES FF1 a lot, but there are times when I just want to buy more than one potion at a time, or spend less than four hours of grinding in Elfland, so I play the remake in Origins.  The Origins remake is excellent, and manages to enhance the original without compromising it (other FF games could learn from this, I think)."

One 6th place vote

Grandia "I played this game front to back on the Saturn in Japanese, using a script translation that (I think) is still available on GameFAQs, and I thought that was the end of it.  Then I picked up the PSX version and man, it is so much better playing a game without having to consult a printout to see what is happening!  Anyway, I love this game, and the journey of the main character has always tugged on my heartstrings.  The only thing I never cared for was the whole magic system, but the pace of the battles (and the boss battles) more than made up for it."

Rally Cross "So I fully realize it won't be hard to figure out whose vote this is, but in preparing my list I did get it back out to make sure it wasn't just nostalgia talking, and I still fully enjoy it. It's fun, simple racing action in a variety of environments in a well made package."

One 5th place vote

Dino Crisis "Its Resident Evil with dinosaurs instead of zombies.  What more can I say."

Marvel vs Capcom "Capcom was just on fire with fighters in the generation. Amazing and balanced cast of fighters here with a cool tag system. One of the greatest fighting games of all time."

Warcraft II: Dark Saga "I wasn't ever much of a PC gamer, so when I had the chance to play Warcraft II on the PS1, I embraced the opportunity. Still love the cheesy voices that sound as you select workers, and even without a mouse, it manages to properly port the RTS that made the early Warcraft games special.

Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage "While the PlayStation never quite had a 'Super Mario 64' to call its own, the Spyro series may be the closest thing, and Spyro's 2nd outing is probably the best distillation of the formula. Improving up on the original, by no longer having Spyro drown when he touches water, and adding some fun new characters, this game is as fun as it is charming."

One 4th place vote

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

Tail of the Sun
"This most certainly will not make it on the front page, but I love it so much that I have to mention it.  This game is proof positive that if you never shelve a title, you could potentially NEVER see the flaws, despite other people pointing them out (sometimes quite vigorously).  The music is excellent (the CD can be played in a CD player) and the game is weird and almost without any sort of point or direction, but maybe that is part of the charm.  Ostensibly the game is about building a tower of mammoth tusks to touch the tail of the sun, but really it is about eating everything you find on the ground then suddenly falling asleep, only to slide down a mountain and drown in the sea."

One 3rd place vote

Gran Turismo 2 "From the moment the intro came on blasting 'My Favourite Game' by The Cardigans, I knew I was hooked. This game took everything that made the original GT groundbreaking and added more of everything to the experience, while somehow keeping it user friendly. Fantastic game.

One 2nd place vote

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Breath of Fire III
"beautiful story, amazing gameplay"

Strikers 1945 "First played this as part of the shmup club last year, and it quickly became one of my favorite games I have ever played. I love the character and aesthetic of this game, love the challenge, love the graphics (even though they're 2D on a 3D system), love the balance, love the...(you get the picture)"

One 1st place vote

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo "As I was trying to order my list, I realized I could have felt right putting just about any of my top 5 at number 1. In the end, I couldn't shake the thought that this game has everything I love about puzzle games (quick thinking fast paced moves in an intense setting) and puts them in a perfect package. It's always been my favorite puzzler of all time on any system. Yes, even above Tetris. The format also lends itself well to two player action, and there are a ton of unlockables that give it loads of replayability. Easy to learn, hard to master, if you remotely enjoy puzzle games, you owe yourself to at least give it a shot."

That takes care of the single vote games, a few of which definitely surprised me personally. Multi-vote also-rans to come...
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2020, 12:56:30 PM »

Wow,  no one else had Oddworld or Blood Omen?!  That shocks me.  I'm also surprised with the two GT games.  Man, this is going to be a surprise list!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2020, 01:33:31 AM »

So for all the single vote games, there weren't very many games that got multiple votes and didn't at least make honorable mention-

Intelligent Cube (#18, #18)

"I'm a huge fan of puzzle games and probably in the minority compared to most gamers.  To me, this is one of the best puzzle games out there and for sure my favorite on the PS1. Try not to get crushed or pushed off the edge by the rows and rows of cubes flipping towards you.  It takes a bit to get use to the mechanics, but when you do, this one is loads of fun."

Darkstalkers 3 (#20, #15)

"Honestly, I'm not really a fan of fighting games, but I love the horror theme and the common, 2-D Street Fighter style of the era. Lots of fun, iconic characters and really cool special abilities."

"Capcom in its fighting game prime with one of the coolest cast characters all based on classic horror monsters. Soundtrack also does not disappoint."

Silhouette Mirage (#17, #15)

"A quirky platforming shooter where you control a character that can change it's duality (silhouette & mirage) to attack enemies of the opposite faction.  This technique is pretty common these days to bullethell shmups and it's very cool how it's integrated into platforming.  Amazing enviroments and boss battles in this game. Developed by Treasure, so how can you go wrong?"

Wipeout XL (#17, #14)

"Forget F-Zero this is the best sci-fi racer with insane top speeds and an amazing soundtrack!"

"I'm no racing game fan, but the Wipeout series is something I've enjoyed. Futuristic, unrealistic racing games are more of my thing, because I usually have to worry less about running my vehicle off the track, or giving much thought to real physics. Rather, I prefer to just go, and hope I make it to the finish line. This fits the bill."

Spyro the Dragon (#14, #10)

"There's a certain childlike sense of wonder that happens when playing this game."

Brave Fencer Musashi (#11, #11)

"Many years ago, I took a chance on renting this cartoony looking title and boy am I glad that I did.  This is a fun little action-RPG with a good story. It reminds me a bit of a Zelda title, but with more prominant RPG elements. Funny, smart@%^ dialogue and sweet combo action included."

Suikoden II (#13, #8)

"A much deeper game than its predecessor, but not quite as good IMO (again, bring the hate).  While it has many of the same gameplay elements and ability to recruit characters, the tactical portion of the game gets drawn out and tedious, and the game is considerably longer and overstays its welcome a bit.  Still, a fantastic game that should be in any PS1 collection if you can find a good deal on it these days."

"A great game, but I don't feel like it lives up to the hype of being among the best RPGs ever."

Resident Evil 3 (#20, #14, #12)

"Probably my least favorite of the classic Resident Evil games, but it's still a pretty good survival-horror game in its own right."

"Not up to par with the first 2, but Nemesis is a very cool addition that changes up the survival horror formula significantly and helps 3 feel much different than it’s predecessors"

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 (#14, #7)

"I'm not much of a sports guy, but this game swept the nation, and while I never managed to get very good at any of them, I recognize how good it is, how important it is, and how influential it was to gaming. Building on the foundation of the 1st game, this sequel amps up the action, cranks up the soundtrack ("Evil Eye" by Fu Manchu is still a favorite), and is all around an improvement over the original."

"I love this game. I put so many hours into it."

Driver (#14, #7)

"Driver has always felt like a precursor to the sandbox GTA games. Great action, interesting playstyle, and one insane car chase after another."

So after all is said and done, we're down to the top 23, including HM's. Between this and previous posts, to me it's one of the most surprise heavy lists of also-rans, and overall it seems like a ton of excellent games didn't make the final cut.

Be out soon with the games that did...

« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 01:35:03 AM by EZ Racer » Logged
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2020, 07:38:44 PM »

4 more of mine gone. Not completely surprised, though there are a couple games above that I thought maybe I'd see in the final list, so it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2020, 07:50:03 PM »

The more I look over these most recent posts, the more I realize that there are some that I should have had in place of others.  I keep saying to myself, "Ahhhh, I forgot about that one."  The biggest shocker to me so far is that Suikoden II is going to be left off of this Top 20 list.  I think a lot of people would say it's the best RPG on the system... I disagree, but yeah. Ha ha!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2020, 11:17:29 AM »

Two more off my list.  I'm with Single Banana, there are some titles I see and I go, I should have added that one.  There are also some I had on my short list but I only had 20 spots.  That just goes to show you how awesome the PS1 library is.

SMS set complete!
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2020, 11:19:27 AM »

My list ended up being more fighting games than I anticipated

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2020, 04:11:15 PM »

1.   Final Fantasy VII – One of my favorite games ever. It absolutely blew my mind as a kid, and I loved playing it just as much as an adult, if not more. The materia system was a great magic/skill system that is very flexible and allows for a ton of customizability, and its influence is still felt in RPGs today. It introduced series staples such as Limit Breaks which still persist throughout the series to this day, and it has the greatest videogame soundtrack ever in my opinion.

2.   Castlevania: Symphony of the Night – Konami's bold new take on their classic Castlevania series was a massive genre-defining success. I still consider this the gold standard of 'Metroidvanias.'

3.   Parasite Eve – A blend of survival-horror and RPG that still stands as a unique and captivating adventure.

4.   Final Fantasy IX – One of the best entries in one of my favorite series.

5.   Resident Evil – The iconic original that put 'survival-horror' on the map is still one of my favorites of the series. RE2 is probably the better game, but there's just something about the first game that appeals to me more.

6.   Resident Evil 2 – One of the best survival-horror titles of all time!

7.   WWF Smackdown! 2: Know Your Role – I know this is an odd pick, but I can't overstate how many hours and how much fun I had playing this with friends and family back in the day. It probably doesn't hold up that great today, but I'll always have fond memories of it.

8.   Chrono Cross – Doesn't quite have the same magic as its predecessor, but this is still a great RPG nonetheless with some very interesting combat mechanics.

9.   Suikoden – A great RPG for the PS1.

10.   Alundra – A great action-RPG with some heavy inspiration from Legend of Zelda.

11.   Metal Gear Solid – Highly influential and ahead of its time. I actually enjoy it more now than I did when it was new.

12.   Final Fantasy VIII – It has some quirky mechanics that don't work as well as they should, but I still really enjoy this entry in one of my favorite series.

13.   Suikoden II – A great game, but I don't feel like it lives up to the hype of being among the best RPGs ever.

14.   Vandal Hearts – A great strategy RPG that is more streamlined than many of the more complicated titles in the genre.

15.   Final Fantasy Tactics – I once held this game as the gold standard of strategy RPGs, but replaying it recently, I realized how cumbersome and unbalanced it can be at times. Still a great game, but there are better strategy games on the system in my opinion.

16.   Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure – A fairly short and simple game, but it's a fun ride with a ton of charm.

17.   Silent Hill – Not nearly as good as the second and third entries in the series, but still a very solid survival-horror title.

18.   Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare – It's pretty much a Resident Evil clone, but one of the better ones, with a touch of Lovecraftian/Cthulhu influence to help it stand apart. The best game in the Alone in the Dark series by far.

19.   MediEvil – A very solid early 3D action-adventure title.

20.   Resident Evil 3: Nemesis – Probably my least favorite of the classic Resident Evil games, but it's still a pretty good survival-horror game in its own right.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2020, 08:25:07 PM »

Really wanted to share my personal list w/thoughts.

20. NFL Blitz

19. Twisted Metal 2

18. Final Fantasy IX

17. World Cup '98

16. N-Gen Racing- What an awesome idea for a racing game! Racing fighter jets through a course at high speeds while worrying about firing at and likewise getting fired upon by your competitors. It does have its flaws, but the sheer speed and uniqueness more than make up for it.

15. Soul Blade- I wasn't a big fan of fighting games growing up, but boy were there some good ones for PS1. For me, this game just oozes character in a way that it's sequels haven't achieved. Just in case someone's unaware, the series was rebranded as Soulcalibur for its future iterations.

14. Spyro the Dragon

13. Parasite Eve

12. Final Fantasy Anthology- Even though it's a compilation, this game feels like an essential title. FFVI has always been one of the crown jewels of the series, and getting the first NA release of FFV, with memorable characters such as Bartz, Galuf, and X-Death, among others, made it one of the best bang for the buck entries on the system.

11. Tekken 3- I think what makes this game special is its quick learning curve. It's very welcoming to novices of the genre, but still carries the excitement and depth that a seasoned player will expect.

10. Gran Turismo- This game revolutionized the racing genre. I remember how excited I was when it first came out, and it definitely did not disappoint. Real cars, seriously who didn't want to drive a Viper in the 90's, with the closest to real physics we had seen on a console game to that point, and a killer soundtrack to boot.

9. Resident Evil 2

8. Final Fantasy VII

7. Driver- Driver has always felt like a precursor to the sandbox GTA games. Great action, interesting playstyle, and one insane car chase after another.

6. Rally Cross- So I fully realize it won't be hard to figure out whose vote this is, but in preparing my list I did get it back out to make sure it wasn't just nostalgia talking, and I still fully enjoy it. It's fun, simple racing action in a variety of environments in a well made package.

5. Warcraft II: Dark Saga- I wasn't ever much of a PC gamer, so when I had the chance to play Warcraft II on the PS1, I embraced the opportunity. Still love the cheesy voices that sound as you select workers, and even without a mouse, it manages to properly port the RTS that made the early Warcraft games special.

4. Final Fantasy VIII- This was one of the first games that I went all out on trying to find everything. There's so much to do in this game. While I know it's divisive, I enjoyed many aspects it, especially the characters and storyline. I even tried to convince my wife we should name our daughter Rinoa. Needless to say I got shot down.

3. Gran Turismo 2- From the moment the intro came on blasting 'My Favourite Game' by The Cardigans, I knew I was hooked. This game took everything that made the original GT groundbreaking and added more of everything to the experience, while somehow keeping it user friendly. Fantastic game.

2. Strikers 1945- First played this as part of the shmup club last year, and it quickly became one of my favorite games I have ever played. I love the character and aesthetic of this game, love the challenge, love the graphics (even though they're 2D on a 3D system), love the balance, love the...(you get the picture)

1. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo- As I was trying to order my list, I realized I could have felt right putting just about any of my top 5 at number 1. In the end, I couldn't shake the thought that this game has everything I love about puzzle games (quick thinking fast paced moves in an intense setting) and puts them in a perfect package. It's always been my favorite puzzler of all time on any system. Yes, even above Tetris. The format also lends itself well to two player action, and there are a ton of unlockables that give it loads of replayability. Easy to learn, hard to master, if you remotely enjoy puzzle games, you owe yourself to at least give it a shot.

A few additional thoughts on how things turned out-

Shocked that Final Fantasy IX finished ahead of VII on the final list, the way VII is usually revered.

I know I'm the racing guy, but I was still surprised I was the only one to put either Gran Turismo on a list.

I need to give Wipeout XL a second chance. Played it once years ago, and it just didn't grab me at the time. I probably didn't put enough time into it.

Before everybody knocks me for this omission, have played Castlevania SOTN several times. It's easy to see that the game is very well made, but it's one that for whatever reason hasn't held my attention whenever I've played it. I do understand the love for it though.

With all the fighting games that got some love, surprised I was the only one that voted for Soul Blade.

Didn't expect it to be high on other's lists, but a little disappointed Super Puzzle Fighter was a single vote getter.

This list was still a blast to put together, thanks everyone for participating.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2020, 03:06:16 PM »

1. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
2. Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
3. Resident Evil
4. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
5. Ape Escape
6. Silent Hill
7. Final Fantasy Anthology Not only does this have the best Final Fantasy ever, Final Fantasy VI, but it also has Final Fnatasy V, which was never released in the U.S. until this disc came out.  If you love RPG's you have to do yourself a favor and pick up this game
8. Final Fantasy IX
9. Final Fantasy Tactics I've never played a strategy RPG before this one and this game hooked me.  It was refreshing and I loved the job system and trying to upgrade everything.  Everything just seemed right with me.  I definitely recommend playing this game
10. MediEvil
11. Brave Fencer Mushashi
12. Vagrant Story
13. Metal Gear Solid
14. Driver
15. Mortal Kombat 3 When I heard the next list was for the Playstation, I knew I had to include this game.  I have so many fond memories of this game.  During the Summer, when i was in high school/college my parents would go up north to their camper and eave me home alone.  I would invite people over and we would play this game to death.  it was so much fun and was the best Mortal Kombat up to date and improved over the previous games.  Even without the fond memories I have this game would still make the list
16. Parasite Eve
17. Discworld
18. King's Field
19. Medal of Honor
20. Spider: The Video Game

SMS set complete!
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2020, 09:55:53 PM »

Super thrilled to see FFIX above FFVII. Makes me genuinely happy to know you guys Smiley

1. Resident Evil 2 - This is the reason we all love and enjoy survival horror to this day. Really beyond anything we’d see for years and set the standard of the genre.
2. Final Fantasy IX - Takes all the things you loved about previous Final Fantasy games and boils them down to their essence. Best cast of characters in a FF game and beautiful and touching story.
3. Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Possibly the best Castlevania game which is saying a lot since there are several contenders. Really unparalleled sense of exploration and progression.
4. Twisted Metal 2 - So much character and charisma jammed into such a weird idea. Played through this with nearly every character now and it’s never gotten old.
5. Marvel vs Capcom - Capcom was just on fire with fighters in the generation. Amazing and balanced cast of fighters here with a cool tag system. One of the greatest fighting games of all time.
6. Lunar 2 Eternal Blue - Super colorful and charming game from start to finish. Fun early voice acting and anime cutscenes, great story, cool cast and fantastic soundtrack.
7. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4 -
8. Diablo - Amazing atmosphere makes this one of the most interesting horror games I’ve ever played.
9. Mega Man X4 - The last good game in the X series IMO before they started to drop in quality with each release. Also have a soundtrack that makes Mega Man proud
10. Resident Evil - Campy and scary at the same time. Perfect combination and the start of something truly special
11. Marvel Super Heroes - Yet another Capcom fighter on my list. An amazing precursor to Marvel vs Capcom.
12. Resident Evil 3 - Not up to par with the first 2, but Nemesis is a very cool addition that changes up the survival horror formula significantly and helps 3 feel much different than it’s predecessors
13. Legend of Dragoon - great character design, setting and one of the best battle systems in an rpg
14. Wipeout XL - Forget F-Zero this is the best sci-fi racer with insane top speeds and an amazing soundtrack!
15. Darksiders 3 - Capcom in its fighting game prime with one of the coolest cast characters all based on classic horror monsters. Soundtrack also does not disappoint.
16. Xenogears - yeah it has got some issues, but the characters, style and settings all make up for the convoluted story telling which honestly has some appeal hidden away in its madness
17. Strider 2 - 2D games can still live on in the 3D era! Really great action game that thrives on design from the previous generation
18. Worms Armageddon - One of the best party games of all time. So much silliness involved
19. Final Fantasy Chronicles - Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV in one package? Yes please. Was an early form of rereleasing classic games to new generations of players and one of the reasons I have a strong love for jRPGs now.
20. Street Fighter Alpha 2 - There are so many great Capcom fighters it was hard to pick just one. So I picked 4!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2020, 10:20:05 AM »

Here's my list:

1. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Without a doubt, one of the most amazing games of the 32-bit era, and a miracle of the time, considering that Sony was pushing hard toward everything being 3D. One of the best game soundtracks ever, and a game that is tons of fun to replay.

2. Metal Gear Solid - Say what you will about Hideo Kojima, but this first entry into the franchise in 3D is a stellar work of bananas storytelling, socially and politically conscious themes, a mix of action and stealth, and a game that raised the bar on production values on nearly everything since.

3. Final Fantasy VII - Are there better RPGs on the PlayStation than Final Fantasy VII? Probably. Are any of them as influential, historically significant, or culturally important than this? Not likely. The game's goofy aesthetic juxtapositions, crazy storyline, and pacing issues aren't enough to dampen the delightful cast of characters, the flexible and interesting Materia system, or the magic of the summons, even if we're tired of seeing Bahamut after the 25th time.

4. Tekken 3 - In the 32-bit era, we started to see a shift away from only 2D fighting games, and into the 3D space. Virtua Fighter and Soul Edge may have had their fans, but on PlayStation, Tekken was King (pun intended). Tekken 3 reigned supreme. So many fighters, so much to unlock, and so well refined, this game is still a dream to play.

5. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! - While the PlayStation never quite had a 'Super Mario 64' to call its own, the Spyro series may be the closest thing, and Spyro's 2nd outing is probably the best distillation of the formula. Improving up on the original, by no longer having Spyro drown when he touches water, and adding some fun new characters, this game is as fun as it is charming.

6. Einhander - We didn't get nearly the number of shooting games in the West that appeared on Sony's inaugural console in Japan, but we did manage to get the best of the lot, at least in terms of those with 3D graphics. Squaresoft's lone entry into the genre is a fantastic game that has layers to it, cool bonus stuff to unlock, and a killer electronic soundtrack. It packs a punch, and brings the challenge along with it.

7. Syphon Filter 2 - The Syphon Filter series was never as highly lauded as Metal Gear Solid, but that doesn't mean it's a slouch. Taking a more balanced approach, with a greater mix of action and stealth than MGS, the 2nd game in the series built upon the strengths of the original, while giving us more options, more story, and an even bigger international mystery to unravel. Still worth playing today.

8. Ape Escape - The first game on the system to require the DualShock controller, rather than being strictly a gimmicky affair, this turned out to be one of the best 3D platformers of the 32-bit generation, and a very fun game. Rather than a focus on violence, the mechanic of capturing monkeys was a welcome one, and the game's whimsical tone really helps sell the whole package.

9. Parasite Eve - Most folks will probably say that Resident Evil 2 is the best horror game on the PS1. I haven't played it, so I have to go with this. I bought this game not knowing fully what to expect, but ended up loving it. It's RPG-lite, with horror elements, and great world building. Aya Brea is an excellent, memorable character, and the game's cutscenes were astounding for their time, and still hold up relatively well, all things considered.

10. The Raiden Project - Despite the move toward 3D, some 2D games still made their way westward, and thankfully, The Raiden Project was one such release. A compilation of the 1st 2 Raiden arcade shoot-em-ups, this faithfully captures those games, and gives extras, like a full 3D intro, and arranged soundtracks for both games. There's even a "tate" vertical orientation mode, though the North American release didn't offer a commensurate control option that didn't make you turn your pad on its end. Still, it's the only legitimate release of Raiden II, and that's worth something.

11. Omega Boost - A truly impressive game for the hardware, this 3rd-person "mechs in space" shooter runs buttery smooth on the console, with some really cool visual effects. If you want to see a PlayStation game that approaches the kind of 3D look and feel you might get from an early PS2 game, this will impress you. It's also a very good game.

12. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete - This is a sentimental pick, as I know there are RPGs on the PS1 that are probably better from a technical perspective, especially considering this is a remake of a 16-bit RPG. But it's just such a solid game, and one that has really stuck with me. I have a soft spot for the first Lunar game, but this sequel is most certainly the better game.

13. R-Type Delta - While not scaling the heights that Einhander managed to reach, Irem's first foray into the 3D space for this popular series of shmups is a fantastic game, with a lot going for it. Great music, excellent visuals, and the right balance of challenge and hair-pulling frustration. Arguably the best game in the series.

14. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 - I'm not much of a sports guy, but this game swept the nation, and while I never managed to get very good at any of them, I recognize how good it is, how important it is, and how influential it was to gaming. Building on the foundation of the 1st game, this sequel amps up the action, cranks up the soundtrack ("Evil Eye" by Fu Manchu is still a favorite), and is all around an improvement over the original.

15. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - The first Legacy of Kain game was an odd, top-down perspective, 2D game, not unlike a more RPG/grindy take on the Gauntlet formula. This sequel takes a much different approach, with you playing as Kain's underling, Raziel, and despite being killed off by Kain at the game's outset, you're resurrected, and given the task of taking Kain down. It's an intetesting take on the 3rd person action game, with puzzle solving and solid combat, and since you can't die, but are returned to the spirit realm, it introduces another layer to make things more interesting.

16. Vandal Hearts - I have little familiarity with the Tactical/Strategy RPG world, so this is my entry point. I first played the game for an RF Generation Community Playthrough. However, I quite enjoyed it, and feel as though it's a strong candidate for the best entry level TRPG on the platform. Interesting characters, a lot more story than one might expect, and an engaging battle system all make for a worthwhile experience.

17. Wipeout XL - I'm no racing game fan, but the Wipeout series is something I've enjoyed. Futuristic, unrealistic racing games are more of my thing, because I usually have to worry less about running my vehicle off the track, or giving much thought to real physics. Rather, I prefer to just go, and hope I make it to the finish line. This fits the bill.

18. ONE - This is the Contra game Konami should have made for the PlayStation. Fast action, high intensity visuals, and boatloads of explosions, it's the run & gun game that will fill that need, when both of Konami's offerings on the system failed to live up to expectations.

19. Mega Man X4 - Once again, there was still some life left in 2D at this point, and the 1st outing for Capcom's flagship character was a very strong one. Taking full advantage of the improved visuals offered by the PlayStation, as well as the availability of CD audio, this game kicks up the Mega Man X formula a few notches, and has become one of the more beloved entries in the Blue Bomber's spin-off franchise with good reason. A must play for 2D action platformer fans.

20. G Darius - While not quite a homerun, Taito's G Darius comes roaring onto the PlayStation with most of the arcade game's character, despite some framerate issues, and more slowdown than the original. That may be a small mercy for some, however, since the game's punishing difficulty can be offputting to those who aren't ready for it. Further refining the mechanics of its predecessor, Darius Gaiden, G is a monumental game with the customary weirdness in the ZUNTATA soundtrack, and an incredibly colorful and vibrant take on the shooter genre.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2020, 11:30:33 AM »

#20 - Dalkstalkers 3 - Honestly, I'm not really a fan of fighting games, but I love the horror theme and the common, 2-D Street Fighter style of the era. Lots of fun, iconic characters and really cool special abilities.

#19 - Twisted Metal - Yeah, I can agree that the second game in the series has more character options and more detailed levels, but there is just something about the charm of the original that I prefer more.  A fun little series that began on the PS1 and continues to be a staple of future consoles.

#18 - Intelligent Cube - I'm a huge fan of puzzle games and probably in the minority compared to most gamers.  To me, this is one of the best puzzle games out there and for sure my favorite on the PS1. Try not to get crushed or pushed off the edge by the rows and rows of cubes flipping towards you.  It takes a bit to get use to the mechanics, but when you do, this one is loads of fun.

#17 - Silhouette Mirage - A quirky platforming shooter where you control a character that can change it's duality (silhouette & mirage) to attack enemies of the opposite faction.  This technique is pretty common these days to bullethell shmups and it's very cool how it's integrated into platforming.  Amazing enviroments and boss battles in this game. Developed by Treasure, so how can you go wrong?

#16 - Final Fantasy VII - I know, I know, you're probably saying, "Why is this so low on the list?"  Honestly, I loved this game when it came out and for a long time, I considered it my favorite game on the PS1.  However, time hasn't been as kind to this title; it's still a fantastic game...but it's not longer as high on my list and it's not even my favorite FF game on the PS1.

#15 - In the Hunt - Not a cheap title, but if you love the Metal Slug series, you have to own a copy of In the Hunt.  The game has very simiular gameplay and artwork as the MS series, but here you play primarily as a submarine. A really fun arcade, side-scrolling shooter that shouldn't me missed.

#14 - Silent Bomber - A game that came out late in the life cycle of the PS1 and as a result, not played by many gamers, even those very familiar with the system's library. The game is an overhead run 'n gun that incorporates a strategy where you lay down bombs on enemies. Fast paced gameplay that keeps you on your toes and constantly in motion. I fun little, dare I say....hidden gem.

#13 - Crash Bandicoot 2 - I honestly never played any of the Crash Bandicoot series until a few years ago.  I always thought of these games as a poor attempt to cash in on a system mascot by Sony....boy was I wrong. The Crash games are really fun and stand out on their own among the top rated system mascot games. The other games in this series are good, but the sequel stands out to me as the best.

#12 - Valkyrie Profile - Probably the most lush and detailed graphics of any RPG (maybe even game) on the PS1. The game offers both turn-based gameplay and platforming, which is complex and very challenging at times.  Mix in a great story, and you have one of the best RPGs on they system.

#11 - Brave Fencer Musashi - Many years ago, I took a chance on renting this cartoony looking title and boy am I glad that I did.  This is a fun little action-RPG with a good story. It reminds me a bit of a Zelda title, but with more prominant RPG elements. Funny, smart@%^ dialogue and sweet combo action included.

#10 - Klonoa: Door to Phantomile - Probably known more for its high price tag, Klonoa is a great 2.5D platformer and may be the best true platformer on the PS1. A better platformer than its competitor Super Mario 64 (IMO) due to it's incredible level design and awesome abilities. Challenging and worth the price of admission to add to your collection.

#9 - Final Fantasy IX - Sure to not be a popular opinion, but FF9 is the best Final Fantasy game on the PS1. I think it holds up much better than 7 in that it has better characters, a better story, and better gameplay. Solid RPG.

#8 - Suikoden II - A much deeper game than its predecessor, but not quite as good IMO (again, bring the hate).  While it has many of the same gameplay elements and ability to recruit characters, the tactical portion of the game gets drawn out and tedious, and the game is considerably longer and overstays its welcome a bit.  Still, a fantastic game that should be in any PS1 collection if you can find a good deal on it these days.

#7 - Einhander - Though there are not a plethora of shmumps on the PS1, Einhander is best shmup on the PS1 hands down.  What makes this game special is not only the powerups, but how they work depending on where you decide to attach them. Mixing these weapons gets you differing and sometimes awesome combinations to experiment with. Awesome music as well.

#6 - Metal Gear Solid - I have such fond memories passing the controller across the couch with my roommate in college. I enjoyed the Metal Gear game on NES, and this game took it to another level with more realistic graphics, awesome gameplay, really cool items, and of course, challenging boss battles.  This game should be on everyone's top 5 list in terms of best games on the PS1, and if this were my BEST OF list it would be; however, it's just on the cusp in terms of my favorites on the system.   

#5 - MediEvil - Certainly not deserving of this rank in terms of "best" games on the PS1, as this 3D hack and slash, puzzler is not without its issues. However, in terms of early 3D attempts, the game ages fairly well.  The platforming mechanics can be tedious at times, but the rest of the gameplay, story, and hysterical dialogue (and mumbling) more than make up for it. A really fun game and well-deserving of it's release for the PS4.

#4 - Suikoden - It was a toss up for my favorite RPG on the PS1, a system primarily known for the genre.  However, Suikoden snuck just below my #3 overall pick and top RPG.  I love the character recruiting system in this game and having over 100 characters to choose from is great and not as daunting as it sounds. My only knock on the game might be the rock/paper/scissors battles throughout, but the actually turn-based battles are some of the best, if not the best, of all time. Beautiful game.

#3 - Vandal Hearts - Yep, to I'm sure the surprise of many, this game just snuck past Suikoden in terms of my favorite PS1 games. After playing Shining Force and Shining Force II on the Genesis, I really feel in love with strategy RPGs, and the usual turned-based mechanics that I was always so used to lost a bit of their luster. Vandal Hearts came out of nowhere as a pick for our monthly playthroughs, and boy did it deliver! I would say that over the past 5-6 years of the playthroughs, it has been the most surprisingly good title to date.

#2 - Castlevania: SotN - An incredible game and I'm sure it's going to be at the top of several voters' lists.  Playing as Alucard was such a great twist in the franchise and the back and forth now known as "Metroidvania" style helped to develop a classic genre of action platformers. Beautiful graphics, incrdible boss battles, cool equipment, and the awesome special abilities you come across and need to acquire to advance, make this game a classic and must own for the PS1.

#1 - Parasite Eve - I know this game and definitely this series has it's haters, but those who love this game seem to be very passionate about it. It's not a perfect game for sure, the weapon upgrading system and menus take a little getting used to, but the real-time, turn-based combat (active time bar) really sells this sci-fi horror RPG. Boss battles are intense and the story is complex, yet poignant and not too difficult to follow. Plus, you get to play as one of the most bad*!$ female charcters ever.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2020, 12:55:33 PM »

Super thrilled to see FFIX above FFVII. Makes me genuinely happy to know you guys Smiley

Agreed.  FF VII is so overrated.  FF VIII & FF IX are better, in my opinion.

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2020, 12:57:29 PM »

#1 - Parasite Eve - I know this game and definitely this series has it's haters, but those who love this game seem to be very passionate about it. It's not a perfect game for sure, the weapon upgrading system and menus take a little getting used to, but the real-time, turn-based combat (active time bar) really sells this sci-fi horror RPG. Boss battles are intense and the story is complex, yet poignant and not too difficult to follow. Plus, you get to play as one of the most bad*!$ female charcters ever.

PE is a great game and one I have never beaten.  I have locked myself out near the end on a boss where I run out of ammo.  I ended up quiting and haven't played again in 10+ years.  i'd have to start all over.

SMS set complete!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length