RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:25:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | July 2020 Shmup Club - UN Squadron 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: July 2020 Shmup Club - UN Squadron  (Read 17209 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: June 12, 2020, 11:11:11 PM »

In 1979, Kaoru Shintani debuted a manga in Japan, known as Area 88. It detailed the exploits and experiences of pilot Shin Kazama, during his time with Area 88, a mercenary military force. The manga ran for 7 years, and spawned a home video movie toward the end of its run, and a single-season anime, nearly 2 decades later. A decade after the manga began, Capcom licensed the property, and created an arcade shooting game that has since become a classic. When that was brought to the West, it was renamed UN Squadron, with the anime tie-in minimized, though keeping the art style and character names. The conversion of the game for the Super Famicom and Super NES is beloved among fans of the genre, and is often heralded as one of the best shooters on the console.

Shin Kazama has a dilemma: he's an amazing pilot, but was duped by a friend to sign up to work for the mercenary military force, Area 88. Shin's no fan of killing fellow human beings, but he's under contract now. He can either suck it up, and do his 3-year tour of duty, or earn $1.5 million and buy out his contract, so he can utilize his skills in an arena where he won't have to take another life unjustly. You can help Shin, along with Mickey Simon, and Greg Gates take on the terrorist organization Project 4, to keep them from taking over the country of Kutal. Take flight, and join the RF Generation Shmup Club, as we explore Area 88, and it's Western counterpart, UN Squadron!

Participants:
MetalFRO
Addicted
EZ Racer
shaggy
Duke.Togo
Crabmaster2000
SaturdayDevelopment
zoydo
FauxMacho
Geardo211
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:13:58 AM by MetalFRO » Logged

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 02:05:13 AM »

So in for this, but as I said on the Earthbound forum, July's going to be a crazy month for me, with unknown gaming time. Because of that I'm going to start on it in June and see how July goes, because I've really wanted the excuse to play this for a while. Hope that's O.K.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 08:21:09 AM »

So in for this, but as I said on the Earthbound forum, July's going to be a crazy month for me, with unknown gaming time. Because of that I'm going to start on it in June and see how July goes, because I've really wanted the excuse to play this for a while. Hope that's O.K.

You certainly don't need an excuse to play this game, so go for it! I would say if you want to submit scores, wait until next month, and preferably, any scores you submit should be obtained during July, if possible, but don't let that stop you from sharing your thoughts on the game.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 12:39:32 PM »

I have this one and haven't played it.  I'm so in for this!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 02:38:26 PM »

Can count me in.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 02:52:42 PM »

I haven't been participating in anything yet this year, but I might have to on this one. I really love this game.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 05:54:23 PM »

Excellent! Welcome to the squadron, gents!

SaturdayDevelopment
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 04:44:33 AM »

The fighting in this area is ferocious.  You can count me in.

Is anyone going to take a shot at the arcade game as well?
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 08:01:37 AM »

The fighting in this area is ferocious.  You can count me in.

Is anyone going to take a shot at the arcade game as well?

Welcome aboard! I'm hoping to get some time in with the arcade version, yes.

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 11:22:46 AM »

I bought a copy a while ago  but it's still in Japan, waiting for better shipping conditions. Maybe i can find a cheap loose copy, so i can join you guys.

TOB
Metalnarf
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 01:38:28 PM »

will be trying to join you on this Shmup Club playthrough
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 06:50:41 PM »

Excellent! We'll be happy to have you in the squadron Cheesy

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 08:41:30 AM »

Found a cheap loose Area 88, so i'm in.

TOB
SaturdayDevelopment
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 12:41:25 PM »

Fun fact:  I don't think there is a way to access your high score after you "game over" on the SNES version.  I just got to the last stage on a single credit and then couldn't access my score.  I'll be taking a screenshot on my last life from now on.

Today I started with the arcade version, and did horribly.  On normal difficulty with no continues, I was only able to get to the second level and land 49k points.  Here is a dismal arcade score just for end of month reference.

* UNS-Arcade-1.jpg (1072.1 KB, 955x533 - viewed 332 times.)
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 02:59:19 PM »

Been playing for part of June, and I noticed that too on the SNES scores.

One thing that I really like about it is that it has customizable controller configuration. I have found that having X be the base weapon, with A as the the special weapon and Y as the change weapon works best for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length