RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:24:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | July 2020 Shmup Club - UN Squadron 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: July 2020 Shmup Club - UN Squadron  (Read 17214 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 08:49:20 AM »

I wish you could make the L and R buttons rotate through the weapons.  Anyways, apparently I suck at this game.  I can beat the first stage with no problem but can only but the first airplane level that reaches your base and I have trouble with that one.  I can't beat any other level.  Obviously, I need to figure out which plane to buy and use on each level, I think.  And yes, no high score after Game Over that I can find.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
SaturdayDevelopment
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 11:47:07 AM »

I'll apologize for the darkness on this, but I was trying to catch the score on the fadeout.  Made it to the last level, but everything fell apart there...

SNES, Normal Difficulty:  526,100

* UNSquad-7-2-2020.png (165.8 KB, 671x488 - viewed 379 times.)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2020, 08:34:49 AM »

Looks like you're making good progress, SaturdayDevelopment! I, however, am not. For some reason, even once I've learned a level, I'm still making odd mistakes, and failing to execute cleanly. Maybe I get flustered too quickly, I don't know. But this one's gonna be an uphill climb for me, I think.

SaturdayDevelopment
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2020, 08:45:47 AM »

This might help, I started putting together screenshots of all the powerup locations.  Had a bad run this morning, so only have the first 3 levels so far, but will expand on it as I have time.

http://saturdaydevelopmen...adron-power-up-locations/
SaturdayDevelopment
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2020, 09:50:50 AM »

Got a 1CC on the SNES version on normal!  703,000  I'm probably going to focus on the arcade version the rest of the month (which I'm terrible at).

* UN Squadron 1CC.png (903.05 KB, 1329x989 - viewed 347 times.)
FauxMacho
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2020, 04:40:20 PM »

I got my cartridge yesterday and today I got the 1CC of Danmaku Unlimited 3 (on medium) I was trying for so I am ready and excited to switch over to this game.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 09:56:08 AM »

Great job on the fast 1CC, SaturdayDevelopment! A great achievement to get so quickly, hats off!

Welcome to the squadron, FauxMacho!

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2020, 07:28:14 AM »

@SaturdayDevelopment: Woah! Good Job, Congrats!

@FauxMacho: Welcome and congrats on the 1cc in Dan3!

TOB
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2020, 08:08:50 AM »

Any tips?

SMS set complete!
SaturdayDevelopment
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2020, 12:24:05 PM »

@shaggy, here are a couple of tips.

Use the cluster (the circular fireball) and phoenix missiles for defense during the level, and don't be shy about wasting them.  Every hit you avoid lets you take another hit in the boss fight.  For example, if you are getting surrounded or have too many enemies behind you, hit them with the cluster.  Note that the F14D carries 10 clusters, which is great for defense on harder levels.

Don't do the dogfight level (the one with the 3 pink stealths at the end) right away.  This level doesn't have any weapon power-ups, so your level will be stuck.  Play some of the other levels (like the desert) to get your weapon powered up, then those little planes will die faster.

Memorize the hidden powerups, they are invisible but show after you shoot them twice.  These are very helpful for the boss battles.  Most bosses have 1 or 2 powerups located right before and/or after them.  I documented all the ones I know about here:  http://saturdaydevelopmen...adron-power-up-locations/

Don't buy too many planes.  You want to have the F200 for the end.  I typically buy the F14D as soon as possible, then save money for the F200.

I suicide on the Canyon after picking up the two stars for bonus points if I need more money for the F200.  This can be done on other levels with stars too.
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2020, 12:45:42 PM »

Been very much enjoying UN Squadron, even though I'm making progress at snail's pace. Getting stuck on trying to defeat the land carrier in the desert level. Also, what does everyone else think of the different characters? I usually use either Shin or Greg.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2020, 01:40:24 PM »

I've mostly used Shin, though I did try the other characters. I'll probably explore them more as the month goes on. My progress is slow, as well. For some reason, I haven't been able to get consistency in several of the levels yet. One time I'll sail through fine, and the next, a minor mistake in my movement sends me on a downward spiral of taking damage, and going down in flames before the boss. I did manage to beat the desert level last night, as well as the forest boss, finally, so I think at least I'm beginning to finally get somewhere.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2020, 05:13:45 PM »

Been very much enjoying UN Squadron, even though I'm making progress at snail's pace. Getting stuck on trying to defeat the land carrier in the desert level. Also, what does everyone else think of the different characters? I usually use either Shin or Greg.

Do the different characters play different or are they all the same?

SMS set complete!
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2020, 11:08:20 PM »

Been making more headway. Finally am consistently defeating the sub, and closing in on beating the boss of the desert level

Don't quite know how to explain it, but the more I play this, the more it feels like an action/adventure game disguised as a shmup. Thoroughly enjoying it though.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2020, 11:26:10 PM »

Played a little tonight and didn't fare very well. Goes from fairly easy in stage one to murder after that.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length