RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:41:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGen's Top "Fool me once" games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: RFGen's Top "Fool me once" games  (Read 6250 times)
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: March 31, 2021, 05:03:14 PM »

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...

In the spirit of the upcoming April Fools Day, thought it would be fun to do a top 20 list about games that fooled you into thinking they would be good. That's not the same as a worst games list, as there are plenty of games we all have played with low expectations, and those preconceptions were right on the money.

This list is for the games that fooled us into thinking they would be good, as in what games disappointed you the most. Maybe you bought into the hype on a game, only to realize that it wasn't what you expected. Maybe you bought a game that was part of a series, only to find it failed to live up to the series' prior standards.

Whatever the reason, and I'm sure there will be some good stories, what games are the biggest letdowns?

I realize it may be hard for some to come up with a list of 20, but hopefully we can get at least some lists of 10 that can be compiled into a full list.

Could be a lot of fun to see how this turns out!

Participants:

CrabMaster2000
Disposed Hero
EZ Racer
Normatron

As always, a reminder of how to participate:

How to participate-

1. Make an ordered list of whatever games are your favorites for the system being covered that month.

-Make your list about what games you think are the best that system has to offer, NOT necessarily the most important. (For example, Super Mario Bros. is one of the most influential games in VG history, but not many would call it a better game than SMB3)

-Also, your list needs to be limited to games you have personally played. Don't include a game just because you've heard it's good, include a game because you know it's good.

-For a few of the games, try to include a few thoughts on why that particular game made your list. That way, those not as familiar with the game can see why it's one they should put on their radar.

2. Personal Message EZ Racer with your ordered list.

Just put "Top 20 (or so) games that were disappointments" in the subject line. The bigger the disappointment, the higher the rank. Throughout the month, I will be compiling the results, and release a full list based on votes sent in. I will be putting extra weight on games voted for the top of the lists, so please make sure that your games are listed in numeric order. The reasoning behind a private vote is so that each member's vote can be their own, not influenced by what they think others would want.

The voting cutoff each month will be the last day of the month at 11:59 EST.

Please stick to NA and PAL releases.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:23:46 PM by EZ Racer » Logged
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 05:11:03 PM »

Oh man, this should be interesting...

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 05:23:05 PM »

I don't know if I'll be doing a list for this.  This one is really hard.  I'll think about it and will submit a list if I can think of any but right now I can only think of one.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 08:49:04 AM »

Interesting. I imagine these lists will be quite personal. Be curious to see if there is ANY crossover at all or if you only get unique lists.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 10:11:26 AM »

did a list up this morning and actually came up with 30 games! Shouldn't be hard to cut it down though

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 08:51:01 AM »

Got my fooled list culled down and ordered. It was A LOT more fun (and a bit cathartic) than I anticipated. Pretty thrilled with my top 5 in particular. Gonna do write ups for everything before I send it over though

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 10:16:13 PM »

Hope that we'll get some good participation for this, even if you can't make a long list, we've all had games that have "fooled us"
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 09:36:52 AM »

I've had a list of games worked up for this for a while, and I'm just now working through it and doing some writeups on the ones that will make the list for sure. Gotta agree with Crabby that it's been pretty cathartic putting my thoughts on some of these games into words. Just a warning though, some of these are getting pretty long-winded.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 01:39:33 PM »

I've had a list of games worked up for this for a while, and I'm just now working through it and doing some writeups on the ones that will make the list for sure. Gotta agree with Crabby that it's been pretty cathartic putting my thoughts on some of these games into words. Just a warning though, some of these are getting pretty long-winded.

Lol, same. I have just my top 5 left to write up before I submit

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 08:04:33 AM »

List sent in

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 08:42:17 AM »

Get those lists in!

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 07:04:04 PM »

Still got time, would be nice to get a few more participants to make a well rounded list
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 06:41:29 PM »

Call for help!

Admittedly, I was crazy busy with work early this week, so I'm late getting this notice out, but I could still use a few more submissions to make this list work. Even if it's just a short list w/some great stories, it'll help. But I've got to have them asap.

Thanks.
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 08:38:50 AM »

I just submitted a very short list. I had a longer list at one point, but I started cutting games when I couldn't think of good justifications for including them. It's been ages since I played some of these games and couldn't remember the specifics of why they left me disappointed.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 08:06:45 AM »

Here's my fooled list. I had more so keeping it contained to 20 was actually a bit hard

20. Tetris (CD-i) - This was a game I used to think was pretty hard to mess up. But boy the CD-i proved me wrong. With horribly distracting FMV backgrounds and crazy load times in between levels (while it loads a new horrendous FMV background!) it’s the least playable version of Tetris I’ve ever played.
19. Tony Hawk's Project 8 - As someone who is both a long time Tony Hawk fan and someone who picked up a PS3 at launch I was so excited to dig into the latest Tony Hawk game. Gone was everything I loved about the series for a new Skate like approach. Unfortunately they didn’t even do a good Skate ripoff though and its extremely poorly controlled and the levels are also very uninteresting.
18. Demon Stone - Like most of us I grew up playing many bad games, and just learned to enjoy myself regardless or in some cases just didn’t realize they were bad. Demon Stone shook me out of that delusion hard. It was the first game I had ever pre-ordered I was so excited for it. The voice cast and the setting had me super hyped. Picked it up, raced home and finished it about 5-6 hours later and just thought to myself…...that was it. I paid $60 for that? It was my earliest memory of buyer’s remorse and thought me some valuable lessons about when to spend my money and excitement.
17. Bioshock - This game just has such a following I feel like a crazy person for not liking it. I’ve played it twice from start to finish wanting to like it, or at least understand why others do. Both times I went in with the best of intentions and came away disappointed and confused.
16. Bubble Bobble Part 2 - When I first started collecting seriously for the NES and found out that one of my favorite games of all time had a sequel I could not wait to get a copy and try it out. All they really needed to do was just create some new levels in the first game and I would have thought it was the best. Instead we got a sloppy controlling, weird level designed unmemorable soundtrack, mess of a game.
15. Silent Hill 4 - As someone who really only knew horror games from Resident Evil I was just starting to explore the rest of the genre. When I found the Silent Hill series I was eating them all up in order of release. Each one seemed better than the last and I couldn’t wait to see what was next. When I hit 4 though it was such a departure that it just killed my interest in the franchise almost completely. It is a very neat concept that is incredibly boring and frustrating to play.
14. Mirror’s Edge Catalyst - The original Mirror's Edge really grabbed me. It was the first game that I ever got a platinum trophy. Was pretty excited to here that it was getting a very unexpected new game in the series. Unfortunately they changed it so drastically that it didn't really reassemble the original anymore as they tried to cash in on current gaming trends and sacrificed the unique feel of the original.
13. Super Mario Sunshine - Not just a bad Mario game, but just a bad game
12. King of Fighters XIV - as a long time KoF fan I've seen the series go from highs to lows a couple times previously, but I don't think anything has been as drastic as how high I am on XIII and how low I am on XIV. One of the best playing most beautiful fighting games of all time was followed up with one of the ugliest games I've ever scene. XIV plays fine and I'm typically a gameplay>graphics kind of guy but even I have my limits.
11. Xenoblade Chronicles X - As someone who's followed the "Xeno" series from its inception this was the first and only time so far that a game from that series just didn't click with me. It feels like playing an MMO offline by yourself which is already a genre I don't care for at the best of times. Too much of a departure from what I love about the games.
10. Final Fantasy VIII - I truly got drawn into Final Fantasy with IX. Loved it so much I felt the need to dig into the past games. Each early title just kept surprising and delighting me….until I hit VIII. From the characters to the setting to the bizzare levelling and combat systems nothing about this game felt fun like the other 8 games I had played.
9. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - 3 friends and myself were so excited for this game that we all made sure we dishes out the cash to each have GBAs and Link cables when the game launched. It was a big investment, but we were sure that a Final Fantasy game couldn't disappoint. We played it all afternoon trying our best to have fun, but the game is literally designed around one player never having fun so it was hard. We never got back together for a second attempt.
8. Mega Man Legends - As a lifelong Mega Man fan I had always heard about how charming and wonderful the Legends games were. When I finally got around to playing it though it didn't come close to living up to the hype in any way. The story, systems and characters just seemed too bland and uninteresting across the board. It does have a cool aesthetic though.
7. Diablo 3 - For me this just didn’t have any of the atmosphere, character, or charm of the first two games I loved. And on top of all of that it was so very ugly.
6. Kentucky Route Zero - I like to play things out of my comfort zone fairly often and can usually at the very least understand why something is great even if I don’t personally like it. This is one of those times that I really cannot comprehend people’s love for this game. It is so very boring and nonsensical and weird with no payoff for putting up with all of those things. I purchased it as part of the Annapurna collection and it was the only game in the whole package that was a total fail for me.
5. Sunset Overdrive - My general rule of thumb to purchase a console is that it has to have at least 3 pieces of software that interest me. This was one of my 3 to justify buying an Xbox One. On paper it seems very much up my alley with the silly style and comparisons to Tony Hawk games. But the humor NEVER landed for me and the movement felt kind of proto-Tony Hawk to me. Did not enjoy the shooting mechanics and unusual guns they had either. With this game not hitting the mark and one of my other 3 games getting cancelled it was the only time in my life I regretted purchasing a console and ended up selling it.
4. Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild - I’ve been a Zelda fan since Link to the Past sold me on the concept in a way that the NES titles weren’t able to. I’ve found a lot of joy in every release since then...until this one. It gutted ALL of the things I love most about Zelda games and replaced them with many of the things I dislike about modern, and specifically, open world games. The lack of story, dungeons and new items that open up traditional Zelda progression were instead replaced with breakable weapons, crafting systems, and seemingly endless exploring.
3. Resident Evil 4 - I discovered Resident Evil with 2 and was instantly in love. After playing the heck out it went back to 1 and on to 3 as soon as I was able. A friend got a Dreamcast and Code Veronica and with each and every title I was just so happy to be scared. When 4 came out I couldn't wait to dive in. What was there was SO different I didn’t know how I felt about it, but I wanted to keep going. The further I got the less it felt like what I wanted from a survival horror game and especially a RE game. The game had such an impact on the series and changed it so drastically that the whole thing pivoted away from me until very recently. Left a Wesker sized hole in my heart for over a decade all because of RE4.
2. World of Warcraft - right around 2000 in my small town we got a very niche video game shop. They specialized in anything our local Zellers (the ONLY place to buy new games where I grew up) wouldn’t stock. It was an incredibly formative store for me and started my love with RPGs and many other weird and obscure titles and cemented my love of Japanese developed games. It wasn’t around long in this form and to try and adapt it changed into kind of an internet cafe. This was my introduction to PC LAN gaming and re-introduced me to RTS games with the Warcraft games being far and away my favorites. Ate them up with or without friends to play with and spent what little money I had coming in to play since we didn’t have a good enough PC at home to play these kinds of games. When World of Warcraft was released it kind of broke my heart that it was not only VERY different, but that it cost a monthly subscription on top of the initial purchase. I went on with my life for a while until one of my co-workers just couldn’t stop talking about how much she loved WoW and how often she played it. She knew how much I was into gaming and I told her how much I enjoyed playing Warcraft before it was WoW. She was so convinced I would love the game that she spent her own money to buy me a brand new copy that came with a 2 (or maybe 4?) week trial and urged me to meet her guild and learn the game. I had a glimmer of hope and got excited about Warcraft for the first time in years. Went home that night, installed it and joined her and her friends for 5-6 hours getting introduced to the game and learning the basics. The next day when she met me at work and wanted to hear my thoughts I remember saying something like “it’s not really a game is it, it’s like a chat room with orcs and chores”. This game, with some help from FFXIX killed any and all interest I ever might have had in the MMORPG genre entirely.
1.Fire Emblem Awakening - I first discovered Fire Emblem when my wife bought me Path of Radiance as a gift when my son was still and infant. It was a great game to play with a small baby as I could leave turns running as needed and a few times even had him sleeping on my chest as I played. Some of my greatest gaming memories of all time are with Path of Radiance. Loved it so much I picked up the sequel on the Wii and went backwards to the GBA games I had missed and my love for tactics RPGs was born. When Awakening came out I was as excited as I've ever been for a new game in a series I love. Much like RE4 though they decided to change up the formula to make the game appeal to a larger audience. Most of the stuff I loved about FE had been gutted or drastically changed. And also like RE4 it became the best selling game in the series. This started a new path for the series that got further and further away from what drew me to it initially.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length