RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:40:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | Playcast Episode #85 -- Axiom Verge 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Playcast Episode #85 -- Axiom Verge  (Read 8394 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: July 26, 2021, 09:05:18 AM »

COMING SOON!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 03:15:54 PM »

Currently listening to the podcast and will update this post when I finish it, but I gotta pause it for now and wanted to comment on ReLoad before I forget. Totally agree with Bil that it's an underrated album. Definitely not Metallica's best and it has a couple duds for sure, but I think the 90s albums get unfairly crapped on just for being different. I mean, almost every band from the 80s changed their sound going into the 90s, but Metallica is the only one that seems to get heat for it for some reason. Prince Charming is a great deep cut from the album and would be my pick for most underrated Metallica song period. And I gotta correct Bil when he said that they play Fuel at every live show because I saw them back in 2009 and they didn't play it (or anything else from the Loads for that matter), although I would loved to have heard it. Wink

More thoughts incoming....

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 08:42:00 AM »

I need to go back to Load and ReLoad. I remember generally enjoying them, despite my initial disappointment that they went in a more hard rock direction. But I got rid of both in a 2004 CD purge when I had to get quick cash to pay a bill, and have never reacquired them.

Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 07:13:37 AM »

Great episode guys! Funny enough, a few days ago I got a letter/invite in the mail saying that my apartment complex is now on Nextdoor, and I threw it in the bin immediately. I've already experienced enough of what Nextdoor has to offer for one lifetime.

Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 12:17:32 PM »

Alright, I finished the episode and really enjoyed it! I don't think I really have anything to add about the Axiom Verge discussion, but I've really been getting back into listening to a lot of music lately and wanted to chime in with some of my favorite albums of 1997. This may change after a closer listen, but I think this is how I would rank them for now:

1. In Flames - Whoracle
2. Iced Earth - Days of Purgatory (little bit of a cheat since it's a re-recorded compilation of earlier tracks with a couple new ones thrown in)
3. Children of Bodom - Something Wild
4. Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity
5. Overkill - From the Underground and Below
6. Megadeth - Cryptic Writings
7. Blackstar - Barbed Wire Soul
8. Metallica - ReLoad
9. Dark Tranquillity - The Mind's I

And last but certainly least, I want to give a dishonorable mention to Judas Priest's Jugulator. I really like Judas Priest overall and actually quite like the riffs and overall sound of this album, but man does Tim Owens just ruin it for me. I know a lot of people really like him, and I know he's one of the few guys who can hit those Halford notes, but I just can't stand his voice. I'm not even sure what it is about him, but it's offensive to my ears. I felt the same way when he joined Iced Earth. The guy just ruins everything he touches for me.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 11:17:35 AM »

Days of Purgatory is great! I need to track down the 2-disc version, at some point. Also, I need to check out Blackstar again. I love me some Carcass, but I never went further and got into Blackstar, other than a cursory listen. I think the fact that it wasn't what I wanted (i.e. more Carcass) kinda put me off, so I didn't pursue it. But I suspect it's something I'd enjoy now. Good list! I'll have to get through my podcast backlog and get to the episode, but I can already see a couple of your choices there might mirror mine Smiley

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 06:52:57 PM »

Great episode guys! Funny enough, a few days ago I got a letter/invite in the mail saying that my apartment complex is now on Nextdoor, and I threw it in the bin immediately. I've already experienced enough of what Nextdoor has to offer for one lifetime.

Amen.... that site makes me want to burn my phone.  Was supposed to be for neighborhood watch and curb items, but it's somehow turned into a political soapbox and snake/spider identification site.  Amazing that these numbskulls will take the time to photo something and do a write up about it instead of just Googling a picture of the damn things.....okay.....rant over.

Thanks for listening! Cheesy

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 07:06:47 PM »

Yeah, some folks need to learn about Google Lens Wink

Not going to rank them, other than to say that Faith No More's "Album Of The Year" is indeed my album of the year for 1997, but this is my top 10 plus honorable mentions, and depending on the day, some may slip in or out of that top 10.

Ethereal Scourge - Judgement and Restoration
Drain S.T.H. - Horror Wrestling
Common Children - Delicate Fade
Faith No More - Album Of The Year
Talk Show - Talk Show
Collective Soul - Disciplined Breakdown
Big Wreck - In Loving Memory Of...
Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E.
Fu Manchu - The Action Is Go
Tourniquet - Crawl To China
Megadeth - Cryptic Writings
Living Sacrifice - Reborn