RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:49:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Shmup Club August 2022 - Raiden IV (Summer Of Raiden) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Shmup Club August 2022 - Raiden IV (Summer Of Raiden)  (Read 11030 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: July 20, 2022, 09:14:31 AM »

After Seibu Kaihatsu had to halt its operations, some of the development team left to join another studio known as MOSS. That team was still intent on carrying on the legacy they had built with the Raiden series of games, so they created Raiden III for the arcades in 2005, and subsequently for PlayStation 2. In North America particularly, this was a bit of a later release, as the PlayStation 3 was already out, and it wasn't met with the same warm reception. But the team soldiered on, and just 2 years later, released the much more well-received Raiden IV in arcades, and then just over a year later, it hit the Xbox 360 as a console exclusive. 6 years later, Raiden IV Overkill released on PlayStation 3 and PC, adding 2 new stages, allowing 3 ships to be playable from the start (instead of DLC, as with the 360 version), and including the new Overkill mechanic, which expanded the scoring. And in 2021, an updated version was released, called Raiden IV x Mikado in conjunction with the Mikado arcade chain in Japan, which features the Raiden IV Overkill game in its entirety, with a bonus soundtrack of live recorded music that are all covers of songs from the original game's release.

Despite humanity beating them back time and time again, The Crystals have invaded Earth once more. The VCD immediately launches a new model of the Raiden fighter, the Fighting Thunder ME-02 Kai, to stop the Crystals from taking over the Earth. With your upgraded Plasma Laser, you can choose how it's equipped, and take on the Crystal hordes one more time. Fight across the Earth, and into space, to free humanity from this scourge. Join the RF Generation Shmup Club in August 2022 as we play Raiden IV!

Participants:
MetalFRO
Addicted
Normatron
FauxMacho
SPM (via Discord)
Schlarp (via Discord)
Geriatric.Danmaku
Christapp76
BB (via Discord)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 07:04:08 PM by MetalFRO » Logged

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 11:34:04 AM »

Just a heads up, if you want to participate via PC rather than console, you may want to make your purchase in short order, as Raiden IV Overkill is being delisted from Steam because of the rights moving over to someone else. I assume that goes for the listing on GOG as well, but I haven't verified that yet, since I only just found out.

* Raiden IV Overkill Steam Announcement.png (507.39 KB, 785x687 - viewed 239 times.)

FauxMacho
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 01:16:35 PM »

I grabbed the Xbox 360 version from my local store yesterday, so I'm in for this.
Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 12:25:50 AM »

I'm in and already have a score on discord.
Geriatric.Danmaku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 05:23:19 PM »

Hey there Earth Humans... I'm (hopefully) in!

Steam PC version goes to great lengths to preserve your Scores and settings.   Even if you replace the entire computer!   Usually this is a nice benefit.   But actually works against our goals here.

With the GOG Installer version, you can remain detached from Cloud Saving.   And so set a brand new High Scores file.   Which I just did.  Rename the file "raiden setting.bin" in your Game folder\Save.   When you start playing again, your scores history will be gone.   

Now to rack up all new scores!   That's the easy part.   Racking up scores worthy of real competition?   That's hard.

* Savegame Path.JPG (54.89 KB, 1195x395 - viewed 190 times.)
Geriatric.Danmaku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 05:27:05 PM »

Has anybody tried turning the game Player and Bomb Stocks up to 5?   Hopefully games with this adjustment get their own High Score page.   If everyone could just turn this up, and play against people playing with 3/3 stock, that WOULD be cheating.   Which usually I'm all in favor of.   But not this time, not for real competition.
Christapp76
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 07:01:40 AM »

Hi, can I get in on this?

Chris Tapp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 07:10:39 AM »

Has anybody tried turning the game Player and Bomb Stocks up to 5?   Hopefully games with this adjustment get their own High Score page.   If everyone could just turn this up, and play against people playing with 3/3 stock, that WOULD be cheating.   Which usually I'm all in favor of.   But not this time, not for real competition.

I pretty much always play with default settings, so I haven't messed with the life or bomb stock.

Hi, can I get in on this?

Chris Tapp

Absolutely!

Christapp76
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 12:44:32 PM »

Great thanks, when is the deadline for scores and thoughts?

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 07:05:02 PM »

Great thanks, when is the deadline for scores and thoughts?

As always, it will be the end of the month for scores, and as soon as you can after the end of the month for closing thoughts. But feel free to post scores and thoughts as we go along, as we often use those in the podcast recordings!

Christapp76
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 12:18:13 AM »

Thanks, have you received your Astro city mini V yet? Got mine the other day, so disappointed! Input lag on the later release games is so bad😩 such a shame, the game list is simply amazing!

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2022, 05:30:50 PM »

Thanks, have you received your Astro city mini V yet? Got mine the other day, so disappointed! Input lag on the later release games is so bad😩 such a shame, the game list is simply amazing!

I have received it, but haven't unboxed it yet, as I haven't had much time for it. Hoping to get to it soon, though.

I know I don't have the highest score, because there are a couple on the Discord who have bested me, but I'm still pretty happy with this so far.

* Raiden IV Arcade 01.png (742.57 KB, 786x456 - viewed 187 times.)

Geriatric.Danmaku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2022, 11:18:52 PM »

Hello Earth Humans!!!

After a month of playing...   We have my highest scores!

It's clear that my actual Shmup skills are in decline.   About 4 years ago, my numbers were MUCH better.   Some of you in the Shmup Club are around my age.   If so... I have a thought:

DO ANYTHING YOU CAN TO STAY IN THE GAME.

Once we cross into September, I'm going to set Raiden IV to "Easy", and to 5 ships per credit.   Heck, might even go to "Very Easy".   There's no shame in accepting the inevitable.   

* Arcade High Scores.JPG (275.64 KB, 1540x1026 - viewed 162 times.)
Christapp76
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2022, 02:51:17 PM »

My final thoughts on the game:

Raiden 4 is one of my favourite shooters. It doesn't rely on any gimmicks, just great graphics, challenging gameplay and nice responsive controls.
I always found the original Raiden game to be a bit on the slow side, with it's ship movement, but in 4 the balance is just right. I could only make it to stage 3 this time around but will continue to play. I was a lot better playing this in my ps3 days!
The blue laser was my weapon of choice and preferred its power over the spread shot of the red power-up. I stayed away from the purple power-up. I found both versions too distracting to use while trying to dodge enemy bullets.
I know of people to complain about the constant movement and changing of the power-ups dropped in Raiden games but i like the risk-reward aspect this provides.
Overall this is my favourite in the series followed by Raiden fighters and Raiden 3. The version used was the physical ps4 game running on a ps5.
Overall a fantastic game and has a place in my top ten shooters of all time. Keep up the good work guys, Chris tapp76

Christapp76
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2022, 02:53:59 PM »

Original Arcade setting - 10,321,390

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length