RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:56:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Shmup Club October 2022 - Deathsmiles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shmup Club October 2022 - Deathsmiles  (Read 11567 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: September 19, 2022, 11:56:03 AM »

Spooky season is upon us! The Shmup Club celebrates with spooky games, and this year we're going with a heavy hitter, CAVE's classic Deathsmiles! From designer Tsuneki Ikeda, in collaboration with artist "Joker" Junya Inoue, CAVE decided to veer away from the normal vertically scrolling danmaku shooters that had become its main focus, and create an experience that could be more approachable. Diverging from both the heavy military theme of games like DoDonPachi and Ketsui, as well as the more colorful fantasy worlds of Mushihimesama, Ibara, and Espgaluda, this game saw CAVE exploring more of a gothic horror kind of look and feel. It also gave players more control of the horizontal space by allowing them to shoot both left and right, allowing for more freedom in strategic play. Deathsmiles also introduced a variable difficulty based on the path you take through the game.

Windia is a girl who had just moved to London, when suddenly she was whisked away in a flash of light as she was on her way to school. Transported to the magical world of Gilverado, she is taken in by Count Dior, and trained to realize her magical powers. Then she can join the other lost girls in defending the world of Gilverado against an invading horde of monsters. What horrors await Windia and the others as they work to free the land from this evil? Join the RF Generation Shmup Club in October 2022 as we find out, when we play the CAVE classic Deathsmiles!

Participants:
MetalFRO
Addicted
Redd McKnight
FauxMacho
Christapp76
Corkman
MightySquirrel (via Discord)
Oops! All Vibes! (via Discord)
BlurSTG
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 02:19:28 PM by MetalFRO » Logged

ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 03:50:09 PM »

I'm in! High Score time! Cheesy

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 08:37:47 AM »

I'm in! High Score time! Cheesy

Awesome, welcome aboard!

FauxMacho
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 05:38:38 PM »

I don't know much about Deathsmiles but happy to check it out. Ordered a copy today.
Christapp76
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 03:42:09 AM »

Cave, so count me in on this one

Chris tapp76 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 10:44:05 PM »

I don't know much about Deathsmiles but happy to check it out. Ordered a copy today.

Excellent!

Cave, so count me in on this one

Chris tapp76 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome, welcome!

BlurSTG
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2022, 08:11:19 PM »

This was my best score so far, 155,457,467! Been playing MBL Normal with Sakura all Level 3. Been so close to getting the clear, but damn is Hades Castle brutal with all the revenge bullets   Cry

* 309880352_778603726565053_478707872160289083_n.jpg (420.31 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 446 times.)

I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ideal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I never die with regrets.
BlurSTG
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 03:57:37 PM »

New high score! Still no clear.  Undecided

* DeathsmilesPB.jpg (1043.36 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 441 times.)

I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ideal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I never die with regrets.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 11:37:55 AM »

@BlurSTG - you're on fire with this game! I haven't managed to get anywhere near that kind of score in MBL. Hats off!

I did manage to clear Normal, though not on a full Level 3, but a mix of 2 and 3. Either way, a clear is a clear! It's not my highest score (I'll post that later), but I'm still pleased overall with how it went:

Anyone have final thoughts on the game to wrap up the month?

FauxMacho
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 12:27:00 AM »

Interesting game. I got a clear on November 1st, I tried real hard to get it on Halloween but just needed one more day. My route was C-1, A-2, B-1, B-2, A-1, C-2, with the two B stages at level 2 and the rest at level 3, for a PB of 83,454,150 with Windia in the 'Original' version of the PS4 release. SO many variables to define the game I actually played.

For the first half of the month I hadn't watched anyone else play and was just learning the game on my own. I definitely did not pick up on the proper strategy of using and timing of the Power Up mode. It's an interesting balance in that playing for score got me into a better rhythm to play the game and improve.

I'd love to come back to this to try the other modes sometime. People playing Mega Black Label were really racking up the scores.

I played this all with a PS5 controller and a d-pad is not the best input method for the micro movements needed to dodge during the bullet hell patterns. I managed, but it's finally time to get a full sized arcade stick.

* Deathsmiles_FM.jpeg (170.3 KB, 852x480 - viewed 418 times.)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length