RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:44:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Properly Submitting Images Updated March 30, '06 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Properly Submitting Images Updated March 30, '06  (Read 14712 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« on: October 12, 2005, 07:06:34 PM »

Very little of this is my words. Most of it is the work or Reverend Nepenthean.

The following refers to the process of uploading of images, to be viewed via the game pages and/or the image search.  This is done with and the following namely refers to the image script, which can be found here:

Submit Game Images: http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/submitinfo.php

Basically how the Submit Image Script works is this: Search for a game as usual, or by console, and all the results will be displayed.  If it says in a particular column in red "no scan" for something like the back scan coulmn, you can click on it.  This will bring you to an upload page.  Find the file (JPG only for scans) and upload it.  The script will re-name the image automatically and credit you (with the name you enter on the upload page - please keep this consistent to avoid duplicate entries), and the image should be there for viewing right away.

As I said, scans must be in the JPG format.  As a general rule, all scans should be 550 pixels on the SHORT SIDE.  Thus, the other dimension will be greater than 550 pixels.  Just set the short side (height of a Genesis cart, width of an NES box, height of a CD case, etc) to 550 pixels and let your photo editor adjust the other side to scale.  There's no reason to mess up the aspect ratio.  If you need something that will resize a large batch of scans automatically and much more quickly than by doing it by hand, Arrhalomynn found a free program that you can download here:

Batch Image Resizer: EasyThumbnails v2.8

For screenshots it's almost the same but a little different.  First, screenshots can be in PNG or JPG format (remember that scans are JPG only).  If your emulator or screen capture software takes them in bmp you can use this program to convert them to JPG or PNG
Image Converter: Solid Converter GX 1.1

On the image search results page, in the screenshots column, you should see four links for each game: IG, TS, ES, and AS.  IG is in-game at the top left, TS is title screen in the middle, and ES is end screen on the top right.  Anything else is an action shot.  There can be as many action shots as you want, but the other three are a single image only. 

In-game shots are actual gameplay. Only one image can be displayed here multiple submissions will overwrite the previous image.
title screens are the title screen of the game. Only one image can be displayed here multiple submissions will overwrite the previous image.
end screen is the screen shown when the game has been beaten (NOT "Game Over" screens, unless that is what it says at when the game has been finished successfully). Only one image can be displayed here multiple submissions will overwrite the previous image.
Action shots perhaps should have been named in-game, as they can include both more in-game shots, FMV stills, menu screens, game over screens, and pretty much anything else you want to.  Action shots are just for an assortment of screenshots from the game. This is the only listing you can submit multiple images for.

So, in the image upload script, if a link is green, we have image(s) for that criteria.  If it is red, we don't have anything, so if you do and want to add your image, that'd be helpful.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 07:24:17 PM by TraderJake » Logged

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 07:16:20 PM »

Updated the size of images to 550.
It increases the quality and clarity of the images without being too large to view on lower resolutions.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 01:08:54 PM »

Is there a way to get a list of what needs scans and what doesn't?

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 01:23:04 PM »

Actually yes there is. But you still have to submit the scan the normal way.

http://www.rfgeneration.c...verse.pl?searchmode=image

The checkboxes across the bottom if checked will include that item in the image search.
I suggest unchecking screenshots Wink

VACRMH
Jaguar CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 04:28:57 PM »

2 questions.

1, where would I submit extra pictures? Such as bonus discs and various extras.

2. I can't scan discs just by putting them on the scanner, it'll damage the scanner and the disc trying to get it off. But, I can put them in a PS2 extra disc thingy (The thing that disc 2 is in with any 2 disc PS2 game) and scan it that way.

Would that be ok?

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 04:59:07 PM »

2 questions.

1, where would I submit extra pictures? Such as bonus discs and various extras.

2. I can't scan discs just by putting them on the scanner, it'll damage the scanner and the disc trying to get it off. But, I can put them in a PS2 extra disc thingy (The thing that disc 2 is in with any 2 disc PS2 game) and scan it that way.

Would that be ok?

1) Post them here and I will get them:
http://www.rfgeneration.c...on=display;num=1114535076

2)Can I see and example? I have scanned disc on my scanner before and it was OK.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 06:16:24 PM »

Yea placing a disc on your scanner won't harm your disc or your scanner unless you use nails to pick it back up Wink

VACRMH
Jaguar CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 08:01:07 PM »

Yea placing a disc on your scanner won't harm your disc or your scanner unless you use nails to pick it back up Wink

It's not so much of putting it on there, but it's eaither putting my fingers on the scanner or on the disc... i'd rather do eaither.

But Tynstar and I came to an agreement Smiley

Next question...

For CD based games in a single jewelcase, and for Sega CD/Saturn games. The front cover is the cover of the manual.

Would I submit twice? Or what?

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 08:27:02 PM »

Next question...

For CD based games in a single jewelcase, and for Sega CD/Saturn games. The front cover is the cover of the manual.

Would I submit twice? Or what?

Answered on AIM

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 03:59:43 AM »

For the benefit of others i will answer here:

You scan the front of the jewel case with everything in it.
Then you scan just the front of the manual.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 05:11:43 AM »

For the benefit of others i will answer here:

Good point  :-[

Here is a front SCAN

And a manual SCAN

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 06:41:09 PM »

March 30, 2006
Updated screenshot info.
Look for BOLD Wink

blissfulnoise
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 09:33:21 AM »

I submitted 14 F/B/G scans last night for the US Saturn stuff.  How often are the images updated?

I'm planning on doing my entire Saturn library, but want to make sure everything was in protocol before I proceed on the rest of the games.

"Be proud of what we make you do.", Master Shake, SGC2C: Baffler Meal
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 01:33:00 PM »

I submitted 14 F/B/G scans last night for the US Saturn stuff.  How often are the images updated?

I'm planning on doing my entire Saturn library, but want to make sure everything was in protocol before I proceed on the rest of the games.

I will be OKing those this weekend. We wherer having a few issues so I was holding off updating any game pages.

I looked at your submissions and they look great. I noticed on the Shining Force III CD scan it is not square (the text at the top) and a little more could be croped off but it is not that big of a deal.

Thanks for all those submissions.

blissfulnoise
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 04:57:48 PM »

I got 285 Saturn images submitted for you since Thursday, I'll take a break for awhile until they all get uploaded. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 04:58:06 PM by blissfulnoise » Logged

"Be proud of what we make you do.", Master Shake, SGC2C: Baffler Meal
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length