RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:54:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | "DS" Game Titles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "DS" Game Titles  (Read 1411 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« on: December 30, 2005, 09:43:48 AM »

I have noticed that several Nintendo DS games have had very intentional titles that, when abbreviated, equate to "DS".  The ones I can think of offhand are (not counting ones that actually just use the letters "DS", like Ridge Racer DS):

Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Resident Evil: Deadly Silence
Lunar: Dragon Song
Advance Wars: Deadly Strike
World Championship Poker: Deluxe Series

Am I crazy?  I know the Mr. Driller one was intentional becuase the first letters of "Driller" and "Spirits" are in a different color on the game packaging/logo.  But what about the others?  Coincidental?  I doubt it.  Seems a little strange to do that on purpose, though.

What is it with games on Nintendo consoles, anyway?  First all of the "Super _____" titles, then the "_____ 64" ones, and now the DS ones.  Why the unofficial naming conventions?  I can't recall seeing patterns like that on any other consoles, as long as you don't count the exclamation points in Odyssey^2 games.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 09:47:29 AM by admin » Logged

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 09:51:01 AM »

I was just talking about that with some friends.
I think Nintendo just wants to beat the hell out of you with the DS letters.

Also no other system could get away with it accept nintendo systems.
I can't think of any other system that could use part of its name in every title and not sound retarded.

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 12:57:06 PM »

You dsuckerds are judst being paronoids.  Nintendso loveds you.
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 02:06:07 PM »

I definitely think that this is purposeful. I think Nintendo is encouraging that type of titling in addition to other types of titling including anything that accent the features of the system:
Partners in Time
Double Trouble
Canvas Curse
Touched!
Touch and Go
Rub Rabbits
DS

and the list goes on.

On another note, has everyone noticed the Japanese sales of the system for the week leading up to Christmas? Almost 600,000 systems were sold. Combined with the previous week, that amounts to 900,000 systems sold! In addition, Animal Crossing sold over 400,000 copies that week, and has broken a million units in sales to date. Brain Training has also reached this number as well in Japan. Both titles are selling better over there than what was supposed to be the heavy hitter -- Mario Kart DS. Simply Amazing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 07:44:49 AM by TraderJake » Logged

Hello World.
shadaik
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 07:16:05 AM »

That's just the same as with all the "Advance" titles. But we have something similar with a number of portable games on the PSP (eg Monster Hunter Portable).

I think, it helps marking the title as an exclusive and promoting the console via its games.
Just remember Nintendo's motto "Software sells Hardware" (well, great job on the Cube-Modem there, but anyways...)

BTW, the German title of Trace memory means "Another Code - Dual memory".
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 07:17:31 AM by shadaik » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length