RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:29:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Some random variation questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Some random variation questions  (Read 3553 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« on: March 25, 2006, 06:38:02 PM »

Ok first off
Was there a hologram and non holgram Crash Bandicoot Warped cover?
I saw a non GH version today with a hologram cover and i own a GH version with a normal cover so i was just wondering.

Also i remembered this:

I just did a quick search on IGN, and it only pulled up the one gatefold edition.  So it looks like the "collectors Edition" is the only edition.

I saw a copy of this game today that was only the KOF Maximum Impact game.
No bonus disc in its own case and no cardboard sleeve to hold both of these.
Was it just a reseal trying to be passed off as a new copy?
I doubt it because it was at CompUSA

Another question is Soul Calibur 2 for PS2.
I bought the original version of the game today and it had a second CD tray inside and a Namco Transmissions v. 1.03 demo disc.
I know the GH version of this game did not come with the Namoc Trasnmissions bonus disc.
Were there nonGH versions of this made without the demo disc?

I had some other questions but i can't remember them now.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 07:48:08 PM »

Gonna go ahead and revive this thread I found in a dark corner, abandoned after eight and a half years, with a question of my own...(better than starting a whole new thread and I needed an excuse to start using the search feature to familiarize myself more intimately with the site.) Smiley

I bought a cart only Perfect Dark for N64 today, looked into the database for adding to collection, but the new cart, as well as my original, both have "A" stamped in the back, but the new cart has "08A" stamped in the back, and according to my notes, my original is "01A". Is one of these the original non-revision? Or were there multiple variations of the "Revision A" or "1.1" version?

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 10:14:40 PM »

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!
This thread is older than my son. I made it (+/-)1/3 of my life ago
Did we really need to bump something THIS old?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:56:01 PM by Izret101 » Logged

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »

Just to hear your reaction, yes. Smiley It really was the best fit I could find for me question though. I just searched "Variation Question" and this popped up, with about 6 others that weren't the proper fit.

zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 10:39:45 PM »

I was finishing up my senior year of high school when this thread was created. I also had much more hair and far fewer games. Things sure have changed in 8.5 years (also quite impressive that this forum retains archives that go back that far)
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 01:15:13 AM »

To finally, finally answer your question, yes there is indeed a "hologram" cover for Warped, which I own and (if I recall correctly) submitted a pic to the RF Gen database.

[img width=631 height=550]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/games/U-061/bf/U-061-S-02560-A.jpg[/img]
Hardly does the actual cover justice, I'm ashamed to admit.

However, it's actually a lenticular cover, best known as one of those deals where the picture changes when you tilt it left to right, though it can also be used to simulate a 3D effect somewhat like a hologram.

One of the most notable uses of lenticular imagery was the shield accessories that came with the Marvel Secret Wars action figures.

'Late
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 01:41:31 AM »

I was finishing up my senior year of high school when this thread was created. I also had much more hair and far fewer games. Things sure have changed in 8.5 years (also quite impressive that this forum retains archives that go back that far)

Two years ago the site suffered a major outage lasting several weeks, resulting in the erasure of all  forum posts from April 2009 to mid-February 2012. Other than that, every post made since this forum was established is still here... near as I can tell, anyway.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 08:26:49 AM »

Gonna go ahead and revive this thread I found in a dark corner, abandoned after eight and a half years, with a question of my own...(better than starting a whole new thread and I needed an excuse to start using the search feature to familiarize myself more intimately with the site.) Smiley

I bought a cart only Perfect Dark for N64 today, looked into the database for adding to collection, but the new cart, as well as my original, both have "A" stamped in the back, but the new cart has "08A" stamped in the back, and according to my notes, my original is "01A". Is one of these the original non-revision? Or were there multiple variations of the "Revision A" or "1.1" version?

To answer your question, the "08" is typically known as the batch order, and not relevant to anything except perhaps minor chipset changes or production changes which are fairly rare, but they're out there. Usually, it's more of just a timestamp of when the cartridge was produced. The "A" portion is the Revision, indicative that Nintendo patche the version on the cartridge. That would be your "1.1" version.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 11:08:20 AM »

So in theory, there could be a 01A, 02A, 03A...etc. version of each 1.1 release based on how early or late in the revision they were produced for distribution?

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 11:11:43 AM »

Yeah. There's a website that can show the different chipsets and ROM hashes that they have dumped so far, but I don't have a link to it - ApolloBoy does, however.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »

That is some good information, where you at, ApolloBoy? I would love to find that site. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:32:43 PM by Boshamp » Logged

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 12:09:01 PM »

For the love of god no more ultra minor variants of that kind.

Please let me know when you read this response so we can delete that question and pretend it was never asked.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 12:51:58 PM »

For the love of god no more ultra minor variants of that kind.

Please let me know when you read this response so we can delete that question and pretend it was never asked.

Read. Delete away. Oh wait, you meant him...
No, we're not tracking variants due to manufacturing - we're actually trying to get away from that due to the SPECTACULAR mess that is the 2600 DB. I'm fine with tracking changes like content (e.g. Revision A) or packaging/labeling, but manufacturing is not a beast we're going to tackle.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 01:33:59 PM »

What were the major differences in the 2600 manufacturing types? I know we have a TON of variations within the 2600 database, but are the differences between say...all the different "Combat" titles we have listed? Could they be consolidated in the same way as the "Revision A" variations to simplify them?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:35:35 PM by Boshamp » Logged

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 02:20:07 PM »

Nope. The ones I'm talking about are manufacturing differences like glossy/matte label, color depth, orientation of label, things like that. There are also types of cartridges, which I'm on the fence about (lock vs. non-locking cartridges).

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length