RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:24:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Why are pc games cheaper than console games? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Why are pc games cheaper than console games?  (Read 6158 times)
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« on: June 08, 2004, 06:32:46 AM »

What's up with this? PC games are ALWAYS cheaper than console games. I can understand this for newer games, since they don't have to pay royalties to the console manufacturer, but old games are cheaper too.
Recently I found games like morrowind and splintercell for 4 euros, new. And they weren't horribly discounted. It was just the regular price for that particular budget series.
Splinter Cell and Morrowind for the Xbox are both at least 20 euros here. That's 5 times as much! If a profit can be made on a pc game of 4 euros, then why  does a console budget game need to be sold at a much higher price?
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 07:00:59 AM »

Two possible reasons are that there is more competition on the PC platform and the equipment costs are higher witht he PC, so games must sell for less.

But to be honest with you, I'm not sure your observation holds true in the states. The prices are usually about even here.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 07:23:15 AM »

Nah, console games are definitely more expensive here.  At launch, and for a few months afterwards, the prices are often identical.  However, go look for something that's around a year old, and you'll probably find the PC version is much cheaper.

I can't speak for other people, but I'm often more willing to pay a little more for a console version of SOME games.  Not having to make sure my system meets hardware requirements (though that's not really an issue for me), not having to mess with installation, and not having to mess with compatibility/updates are all things that make console versions of some games a lot easier to just pop in and play.  And, as a collector, the console version is more important for me to have.  PC games just have little to no collectable value to me.  I keep the ones I get, but I don't actively seek them out for my collection like I do for console games.  There are just too many to get.

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 07:39:54 AM »

Not having to make sure my system meets hardware requirements (though that's not really an issue for me), not having to mess with installation, and not having to mess with compatibility/updates are all things that make console versions of some games a lot easier to just pop in and play.

So, you are saying that console games are for people with more money than brains?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 07:40:05 AM by hydrobond » Logged

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 07:53:10 AM »

So, you are saying that console games are for people with more money than brains?

I think he's saying console games are easier than pc games. I have to agree with that.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 07:54:32 AM »

Not at all.  It's just that console games are so much easier.  If you had to configure your movie player every time you wanted to watch one, but there was still the alternative of DVD, wouldn't it make more sense to choose the one that didn't require a bunch of setup?

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 08:05:33 AM »

Well, I still like the mouse and keyboard for gaming, controllers are improving, but still not good enough for FPS games.
Before the new internet ready console games, multiplayer on the PC was just way better, you didn't have to have friends to play real people.  Installing can be a pain, but in the end you are rewarded with a much better looking game.  
You are making it sound like you need to install a game every time you want to play it, which simply is not true.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 08:20:52 AM »

Well, it isn't true, but if I had a thousand PC games as opposed to a thousand console games, and wanted to pull one out to play for five minutes, or to test to make sure it was working, it would be a lot more of a pain than popping it in the console and hitting the power button.

As far as FPS's are concerned, I can't argue with you there.  Some games are definitely better on PC even with the extra hassles the medium comes with.

Geondp
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 01:07:58 PM »

All has to do with Pirates, a pc game is MUCH easyer to "steal" then a console game so they drop in price very fast to just try and SELL..

Fuck you asshole Ill fuck you in the butt lets get DIRTY!!-Geondp
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 01:14:28 PM »

That makes sense. But it does men we all overpay horribly for console games.

Which is actually old news, now that I think of it....
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 07:16:06 PM »

Keep in mind too that most PC games are on cd whereas console games tend to be on different types of media that cost more to produce (or so manufacturers claim). DVDs are a bit more costly than cds and that's a given for carts.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 01:52:24 AM »

DVD's are like a dollar more expensive? That hardly justifies the difference. And I'm not talking about carts, I don't live in the past Wink
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 01:56:30 AM »

Even Nintendo is finally figuring out that carts are a dead format...  though I still like them more anyway.

I think what Geon said does make a lot of sense, though.  Piracy doesn't completely destroy the market like software companies would have you believe, but it certainly does affect it, and Geon is right - it's much easier to pirate a PC game than a console one.

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 08:39:33 AM »

That didn't stop too many people from getting Dreamcast games, even though no PC could even read the disks.

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 11:51:37 AM »

Just had a thought.  The console games could be more expensive because companies like Microsoft lose money whenever they sell a console, so they have to make more profit when they sell a game.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length