RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 08:46:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Am I the only one who doesn't like Gran Turismo? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Am I the only one who doesn't like Gran Turismo?  (Read 3344 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« on: June 09, 2004, 01:49:32 AM »

Am I the only one here who thinks Gran Turismo is WAY overrated?  I mean, I know it has incredible detail, and the physics are very realistic, but so what?  I just don't have all that much fun playing it.  For me, it takes realism about ten steps too far, at the expense of a very important element of any video game: fun.  Spending hours and hours trying to accelerate around the same stupid curve just the right way so I can actually get to the races seems so pointless to me.  The game has some great elements, but I just think it's way overrated and at times downright irritating to play.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 01:56:30 AM »

I'm not that fond of Gran Turismo, but I wouldn't call it too realistic. It's just an arcade racer. What bothers me is that you can't just race, but that you first have to get licenses, choose a car out of a possible 250, then buy crap to make that car faster, so you end up with a 1200 hp car. Then you have to attempt to race with that car through a circuit that was never ever meant for those speeds.  I prefer Sega GT. It has the same basic principle, but with a lot less crap and a lot more racing.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 01:58:27 AM »

I prefer Sega GT. It has the same basic principle, but with a lot less crap and a lot more racing.

Exactly.  I guess what I meant by "too realistic" is that they try to make it so much of a simulation that they forget to make it a game.  Sega GT has enough customization and enough options to keep things interesting, but not so much that it gets in the way of gameplay.

thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 04:04:07 AM »

I don't like it. You can't crash, where is the fun in that?

And this whole business with the licences. Hey, I bought the game with my money, so let me play it already! My driving technique in an actual race differ a great deal from that required to pass some of the licences.

I got majorly pissed off with GT3 on my PS2, because there were not enough sound options. I don't often need sound options, but I expect them to be there. I could not get a happy balance between game sound and background music, and it really irritated me.

I prefer such games as Penny Racers. In fact I thought Penny Racers was very good unlike the reviewers and unlocked just about everything. So I guess I'm not too fond of realism.

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 05:57:22 AM »

I'd say the racing game I've spent the most time with is probably Diddy Kong Racing, of all games.  I thought it was the best racer on N64, and it's probably one of my favorites all-time.  I know it's a completely different kind of game than Gran Turismo, but the simplicity of it makes it so much FUN.

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 08:09:40 AM »

I'm not a big fan of racing games in the first place, but I found that the fun of building up your car was brought down by the fact I couldn't do a picture perfect S-turn so I couldn't get my license.  What a completely retarded idea for a game.
Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 08:23:37 AM »

My fave racing series has to be the Need For Speed games, and although Underground was a bit of a tangent/unconventional, I still enjoyed it as it was a damn fun game.  I like to think EA generally gets the balance between fun and realism pretty much spot on with NFS games.

Me vs Gretzky
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 08:45:25 AM »

If you are looking for a really good racing game, mike, take a look at Underground.  Unfortunately, it buys into the new import tuner/ricer fad, oh god i hope fad.  But it has the best racing engine I have ever played, and the graphics are amazing.  Although they use the same map for every race, you get very different courses.  (The whole game is set in the downtown area of Big American City.)  Its even great over lan.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
2D-Forever
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 06:46:56 AM »

Too bad all the cars in Gran Turismo drive about the same. The only difference of note is the Rally car; street car; and F1 car groups.

While playing an Initial D racing game in the arcade (I was in L.A. for the weekend) I had the chance to use an RX-7 in a driving game, which was simulated perfectly.  A few days later I went home and drove my real life RX-7 and had much more fun.  Since then, driving games are dead to me.

-God gave us memories so we could languish in dispair.
-Once delayed, Twice dismayed.  SNK
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 07:23:09 AM »

the best thing about Gran Turismo on the PS2 is in two player mode, driving in opposite directions for a head on crash, that's amusing for about 10 minutes.

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2004, 01:08:55 PM »

that whole liscense thing put me off as well. one of the racing games I most enjoyed was Test Drive Offroad 2 for the PS1. very arcadey with hugely unrealistic jumps but it gives a good sensation of speed.

the number of available cars in the Gran Turismo series is cool, you just have to work tooo hard to get to any of them.

Nintendo Psycho
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 03:36:02 AM »

Grand Turismo IS overrated and it has horrible control. I'd rather play Rush 2 for N64 or even Rad Racer for the NES than that pile of trash.

[img width=400 height=299]http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/rush_2604.jpg[/img]

The best band.
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 04:44:22 AM »

another race game I really enjoy but has actually spoiled other race games for me is Pro Race Driver by Codemasters for the PS2.  The races are fun, there are plenty of cars and tracks and there is car damage. after playing through Pro Race Driver playing a racing game that does not have car damage bugs the snot out of me.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 09:42:14 AM »

Grand Turismo IS overrated and it has horrible control. I'd rather play Rush 2 for N64 or even Rad Racer for the NES than that pile of trash.

Let me guess you hate Sony? I have read a few of your post and all of them bash Sony.

Gran Gran Turismo hardly has terrible controls.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 10:26:51 AM »

Or based on his sig he is a Nintendo "fanboy".

I have never played any one of the Gran Turismo games for more than 30 mins a piece.

I thought Gran Turismo 3 was pretty good what i did play of it.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length