RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:42:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Collecting for collecting sake 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Collecting for collecting sake  (Read 3869 times)
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« on: June 23, 2006, 08:33:50 AM »

I like most people on this web site have alot of game on alot of diffrent systems. But i have tryed to limit what games i have got and buy to only the things i like.
Looking at some of the pics on this site and the lists of what people have got do some of you just try and get as many games as you can on a certian or all systems even if the games is crap and not compleat (as in its just the cart/CD)?

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 08:42:27 AM »

guilty! yeah I try to collect any game for any system. I don't care if the game sucks, if I don't have it I'll buy it.

as far as completeness goes I don't buy loose CD games. I do have a few for Saturn and Sega CD but as a rule I only buy complete.

carts I don't care if they are loose. the systems like GEnesis and SMS that have the nice plastic boxes I prefer complete but the rest I don't care. I will buy a complete game I already have if my copy is loose.

obviously complete is better but I won't pass up a loose game I don't have. after all you can still play the game even if it doesn't have a box or manual.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 08:54:08 AM »

I collect for anything only if it is cheap and CIB. Usually I am working on a library for a system becasue I try to get all teh games for each library.

Atari 2600 I don't mind loose but thats about it. Ask Den he will tell you I am the biggest CIB snob on this site.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 09:36:09 AM »

I collect for anything only if it is cheap and CIB. Usually I am working on a library for a system becasue I try to get all teh games for each library.

Atari 2600 I don't mind loose but thats about it. Ask Den he will tell you I am the biggest CIB snob on this site.

I'm a CIB snob too.  Cool However I do make exceptions for N64 loose carts.

I'm not a completionist when it comes to getting all the games of a given system, though.

If it's good "enough" in my point of view, and the price/deal is right, I'll pick it up.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 09:38:10 AM by phoenix1967 » Logged

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 10:06:54 AM »

I normally just buy for the systems I collect. And in most cases I will only buy CIB games unless I know I can find the box and or manual as well.

atari_wizard
Sega Master System
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 10:54:11 AM »

I like to get my systems CIB and have a loose system which I play on.

CIB must

Sega Genesis
Sega Master System
CD Games

Loose

Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
NES
N64

Of course for the loose games if I see them with a manual or box, I'll snatch it up if the price is reasonable.

Have you played Pitfall II today?

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/atari_wizard.png[/img]
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 12:08:19 PM »

here's another twist to this discussion:

sports games

if you are going for the whole library you have to buy them all and there are a boatload.

I know Scott has the whole Genesis library and I'd guess that about 200 or so of those are Football, Baseball or Basketball.

I have a ton of them myself. While technically they are all different it does feel like buying the same game over and over again. If I cut all the sports titles out of my collection it would probably shrink by a quarter or so.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 12:35:19 PM »

I know Scott has the whole Genesis library and I'd guess that about 200 or so of those are Football, Baseball or Basketball.

I should count them and see how many there are.

Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 03:33:18 PM »

Yeah you should Wink

I try to get as much as possible for NES, and will naturally pick up any loose games if I get a good deal on them.  There's tons of manual/box orphans out there that I'm not too concerned about a missing a box or manual here and there.  I do intend to get it all CIB sooner or later Smiley

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 05:53:16 PM »

160 Sports games on the genny in the US according to our database.

Yeah you should Wink

I try to get as much as possible for NES, and will naturally pick up any loose games if I get a good deal on them.  There's tons of manual/box orphans out there that I'm not too concerned about a missing a box or manual here and there.  I do intend to get it all CIB sooner or later Smiley

101 released in the US according to our database

C'mon guys why count when the database can do it for you?

In anyhcase myself as a collector.
I am also a CIB snob.
I am either going to start picking up boxes and manuals for all my loose games or selling them.
The only exception will be my handheld and SNES games. I will hold onto those.
NES, Genesis, N64 i intend on selling the loose ones in hopes of picking up a CIB copy later. There will be exceptions but i don't know what they will be now...

I don't buy loose games anymore unless they are really cheap, really rare or it is a game i was really interested in.
And that only consits of cart games. CD games must be CIB.

Other than that i don't focus too much on certain systems(currently) and only recently did i decide to focus alot of my finances into Mortal Kombat games, memorabilia, etc

Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 03:56:33 AM »

Im not saying that evry game has to be CIB ,I know with age that Atari games tend to be loose and that being cardboard Nintendo stuff goes missing too or get very tatty so i can see why they thrown away.

Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 10:53:56 AM »

101 released in the US according to our database

C'mon guys why count when the database can do it for you?

What 'count' are you referring to? I don't think I mentioned anything about a count of games in my post Wink

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 11:07:53 AM »

must have been talking about some other count.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 12:41:07 AM »

Oops.(Wasted!) I thought you had also mentioned something about NES sports titles in your post.
Thats what my count referred too.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 12:42:06 AM by IZRET101 » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 10:08:36 AM »

I just counted Soccer, Golf, Basketball, Football, Baseball and Hockey and got 138.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length