RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:50:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | 60 Minutes story: Fatal1ty ("cyber-athlete") 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 60 Minutes story: Fatal1ty ("cyber-athlete")  (Read 1821 times)
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« on: August 07, 2006, 12:22:59 PM »

Anyone catch 60 Minutes last night? They profiled Fatal1ty, some guy that has become a "professional" video gamer and has won $350K over the last 3 years.

They reported that he's starting to be billed as the first "cyber-athlete" superstar, starting his own product line, etc.

They also mentioned the concepts of national "teams"; mentioning that one of the Korean teams are viewed as celebrities in thier country.

Overall a good story.

Can cyber-athletes be the way of the future? What does everyone think?

ganonbanned
Nintendo 64
United States
Awards: The RFG Kid

Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 06:54:50 PM »

no, i wish i would of seen that. yes, i would become a cyber athlete if i could.
Barracuda
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 07:23:55 PM »

No but it sounds interesting. Hopefully I can catch a repeat episode.

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »

Anyone catch 60 Minutes last night? They profiled Fatal1ty, some guy that has become a "professional" video gamer and has won $350K over the last 3 years.

Fatal1ty has or had a marketing deal with Abit Motherboards. For a while (don't know if this is still the case), they had an extremely high end motherboard called the Fatal1ty, and you guessed it, was the mobo he used in his PC. Looking at his website would suggest this is no longer the case, but he does have a marketing deal with Zalman Coolers.

EDIT: Searching Abit's website shows that their newest highend mobo is end a "Fatal1ty" mobo. Pretty damn powerful too.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 08:36:58 PM by TraderJake » Logged

Hello World.
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 08:48:31 AM »

I didn't watch that show, but I did see an interview/documentary on him somewhere before...possibly on the internet or on a German gaming show a few months ago.  Pretty cool that he's making some nice money from gaming, but supposedly he doesn't 'see' much of the money as, from what I remember from the show, he hasn't spent any of it except for paying rent and daily nutrition, since he was constantly on the move. 

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 09:09:54 AM »

He's been doing it for several years and I've seen a few stories about him on TV before. He lives not to far from me IIRC. He does nothing but play the same few games for hours each day. From what I've seen he's really good at what he does.

Slowly building an ammo fort.
INVOK3R
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 09:51:29 PM »

I missed this one... dang  Tongue

But I did see a show like this once on MTV. They aired something like "Gamer Life" or something close... Anyway, they focused on professional video gamers. They focused on one guy that entered Golden Tee tournaments. Then, there was another that was focused on the Madden tournaments. And there was also a part on the past 4 year (or more) champion of Unreal Tournament (could this be Fatal1ty?).

Play in your world... Die in mine!
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 02:50:05 PM »

have seen things like this before, there was one on telly the other day about a Dance Dance Revelution tournament in England then Las Vages was all a bit sad really.

It must get very boaring playing the same game day in day out (normally FPS) why dont they have tournaments for Mario or sonic games?

Why do they all have to be called Death or Mega Killer why no fluffy bunny boy or even Alabama Shrimp???

tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 03:37:53 PM »

what a LOSER!

Collection Pics--Excel Collection Spreadsheet--XBox Live Gamertag: tholly1983 - PS3 Name: tholly - Wii Code: 6005 4631 6751 2174
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length