RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:14:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Well is the Wii any good? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Well is the Wii any good?  (Read 3530 times)
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« on: November 20, 2006, 07:47:02 AM »

After all the talk and waiting for the Wii to be released its out yet the boards are dead, All the people that have them havent said anything about it, like is its any good? whats the controller really like? How do the games play? and is the Virtual Console online?

Same goes for the PS3 does anyone on here actually own one?

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 11:08:59 AM »

I got the Wii yesterday, and after getting home, setting the console down and passing out for 7 hours, I finally got around to hooking it up and playing it. 

I have only played Wii sports so far, although I did get Zelda too.  From the hour and a half that I played Wii Sports, it looks like the control scheme should actually work. 

I was afraid that the Wii was going to work sort of like the Eyetoy in that it would sort of read what you were doing, but not quite.  The only control problem that I found at all so far is putting on the included golf game.

The only thing about Wii sports is that it feels liek a glorified demo rather than a stand alone, full-fledge title.  When I get home today I'm going to play a little Zelda to see what that is like, so hopefully I'll be able to have a better answer tomorrow.

As for the virtual console, I don't have a wireless router at home, so I'm going to have to either buy one, or run a cable from my modem in my computer room to my living room where the Wii is.  I'll probably do the latter because it's cheaper, and I can set it up in 10 minutes without much trouble.
Mike Leon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 03:58:18 PM »

I have to admit. I really hated the whole motion control thing, but after trying it out I changed my mind. Nintendo could be on to something really revolutionary here. It's really cool.

Being less than half the cost of a PS3 helps a bit, too. My money is on Nintendo to win this round of the console wars.

I could stand to have my Wii serviced right about now.
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 06:32:36 PM »

Oh yeah, and one other thing.  I know every console this generation is doing it, I love having wireless controllers!  I can finally sit confortably in my living room while playing a game!
JWKobayashi
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 06:56:44 PM »

Finally got some quality time today with the Wii after spending my Sunday recooperating after the big 12 hour camp out.

Anyway, I have to say that I'm really enjoying the Wii thus far.  I've only picked up Zelda and another Wiimote, but as soon as I got home Sunday morning my wife wanted to try out Wii sports 2 player.  I haven't been able to get her to play any games other than Mario Party, which I think says something about the "jump in and play" aspect of the Wii.  That, and the fact that we first played bowling and she kicked my ass 5 times in a row before we tried another game...

This morning, I popped in Zelda and got about 4 hours in.  Since it's been mentioned elsewhere, the textures do indeed suck on places such as the ground, however I don't think that this detracts from the experince at all.  Overall, it's very well done and I think it will be very enjoyable.

So far, the only "online" feature up is the Wii Shop channel.  There are about 8 NES games, 2 SNES, 1 N64, and 2 Genesis currently up in the virtual console shop.  The internet browser still is not available.  I've also been able to link up with a friend of mine using our "friend codes" and I've received a Mii from him.  The weather channel will be out mid December and the news channel in mid January.

[img width=350 height=19]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/JLateralus.gif[/img]
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 07:22:51 PM »

I must say I am impressed.  I was worried that the motion sensing would be a little off but it is, in fact, pretty much spot on.  I've only played Wii Sports and my wife loves the boxing!  And what a work out it is!  I also picked up Trauma Center but have yet to play it.  The controller itself feels just like a regular remote except it has a little recess underneath it where your finger rests on top of the "B" button but this does not feel out of place.  I have yet to get the internet portion working because of Nintendo's server but I believe this is because everyone it trying to access it at the moment.  At the present it looks like it actually might be updating information to the Wii and might work.  Like Sauza says Wii Sports feels more like a demo to show the capabilities of the remote but it is still fun.  In Wii sports you can earn medals in training mode and boost your skill points by playing single player.  Baseball you can only play 3 innings and golf is only 3 or 9 holes.  In baseball I don't like the fact that the only good hit is a homerun, unless I just haven't accomplish a hit yet.  Boxing is pretty cool and I love the bowling.  Tennis is another one I like.  You can play 1,3, or 5 set matches.  All in all I would have to say Wii Sports is a good add-on to the system.  As for Mii's you can create them and than send them to other Wii consoles through the internet and hold a Mii Parade.  I have yet to do this so I don't know what this entails.  I give the Wii on launch a A- and two thumbs up!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 09:14:48 PM »

Shaggy, I thought you might want to know that IGN is reporting that 32002 is a fatal error, meaning that the Wii is fondued.

Hello World.
Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 09:44:55 PM »

Shaggy, I thought you might want to know that IGN is reporting that 32002 is a fatal error, meaning that the Wii is fondued.

I had that error, and I got mine to work.  I already called Shaggy and told him what to do.  All you need to do is set your MTU to 1500 and change your router to channel 11. 

Ken

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 10:30:02 PM »

Well for anyone that wants to, you can input your Wii Number in the Wii Number thread at the Arena. Now our Miis can mingle, and maybe someday we'll be able to play online.

Hello World.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 11:29:10 PM »

I have been playing at work.

It rocks.

Tony Hawk was pretty cool. I only played for about 10 mins though.
Wii Sports is awesome i have played for maybe 1 hour.
Excite Truck rocks too, played it for probably 3 hours.

I haven't heard anything bad about Twiglight Princess, Red Steel or Trauma Center either.

Some guy came into GameCrazy today and was trying to sell his extra Wiis for 350$s. What a jackass.

Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 11:58:28 PM »

I have been playing at work.

It rocks.

Tony Hawk was pretty cool. I only played for about 10 mins though.
Wii Sports is awesome i have played for maybe 1 hour.
Excite Truck rocks too, played it for probably 3 hours.

I haven't heard anything bad about Twiglight Princess, Red Steel or Trauma Center either.

Some guy came into GameCrazy today and was trying to sell his extra Wiis for 350$s. What a jackass.

It pained me when I played Red Steel.  It's bad...

Ken

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 12:56:27 AM »

OK i have heard bad now.

But i have heard much more good still.

I guess it is now at the point were i have to play to make my own decision Smiley

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 07:12:17 AM »

Thanks alot Ken!!  The net works on the Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii now.  I've heard Zelda rocks but I haven't heard about any other games.  I've been too busy to try Trauma Center yet.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 08:37:45 AM »

It pained me when I played Red Steel.  It's bad...

Ken

I heard that too, luckily I didn't buy that POS.

On the plus side, the WiiConnect24 is pretty cool.

Hello World.
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 11:41:38 AM »

Might I mention that everyone who owns a Wii should visit this thread?

Well, since I have a lot of free time given how there is currently nothing to do at work let me voice my initial opinions on the Wii.

First, the games in the Wii Shop are kind of meh. Where the hell is a block buster SNES game? I want Super Metroid, damnit! In addition where the hell is the internet channel? How long must we wait for that. On the plus side, funding your Wii Shop account is pretty simple, and I am sure there will be more games coming out in the coming weeks. Now that that is out of the way, let me talk about the experience itself.

After playing the Wii for a sizeable amount of time, I can honestly say that Nintendo did something right when they decided to employ their "disruptive technology". Playing Zelda is a blast, Monkey Ball is hard, and Wii Sports is suprisingly fun. I can honestly say that when I play the games it is almost as though I am playing something completely different, and to extent that is true. The Wii is truly unique, and its potenial is limitless. After seeing the succcess of another iffy system (the DS, it prints money) I am convinced that that the Wii has the potential to succeed, so long as they can get the public on board.

The system itself it pretty neat too. It's fun to make Miis, and the limited experience I have had talking to Mezmoron via the Wii is also interesting (you want to join in that fun too, read this thread). Provided that the WiiConnect24 update doesn't render your Wii an online incapable system (as what happened to my brother), I recommend you check it out.

Hello World.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length